Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Are You Gainfully Employed?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ThatGurlD View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatGurlD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are You Gainfully Employed?
    Posted: May 26 2014 at 9:50pm
Why or why not?  If not, what can you realistically do to change that? 

Components of gainful employment[edit]

Gainful employment is characterized by the following nine components:

1. Variety in duties performed - A lack in variability can lead to presenteeism, in which the employee physically goes to work, but becomes unproductive or discontent due to boredom with repetitive work activities. If the tasks at work are varied, satisfaction comes more easily.

2. Safe working environment - Safe working conditions must be ensured by the organization and its managers.

3. Income for family and oneself - Income is necessary to support oneself. However, data does not show that people who earn more money are more gainfully employed than those who earn less.

4. A purpose derived from providing a product or service - An individual may derive purpose in life from the work that he or she completes. Many individuals describe their work as a calling, or in other words, “a vocation to which the employee brings a passion—a commitment to the work for its own sake”.[4]

5. Happiness and satisfaction - Enthusiasm and attitude at work. There must be a close match between an individual’s activities and his or her knowledge, skills, and attitudes.

6. Positive engagement and involvement - An individual must have a sufficient amount of work to complete, have the necessary knowledge and resources to complete work, and have the opportunity to perform and grow as a result of work. Warr reported that the most gainfully employed individuals work in settings where the skills of the employee match the skills required for the assigned tasks.[5]

7. A sense of performing well and meeting goals - An individual must believe that he or she is capable of performing well at work and exceeding the goals that he or she set. In order to perform well at work, employees should strive to set SMART (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Reasonable, and Timely) goals.

8. Friendships at work - Positive companionship has been proven to lead to fewer accidents, more engaged customers, increased achievement, increased job satisfaction, and increased productivity.[1]

9. An environment that respects and appreciates diversity - Racial and ethnic diversity are increasing rapidly in today’s workplace. In order to increase diversity, managers may utilize “diversity management” in which they use a variety of management techniques in order to augment the positive outcomes that are linked with diversity in the workplace.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gainful_employment

Sponsored Links

SoutherNtellect View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (11) Thanks(11)   Quote SoutherNtellect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2014 at 9:53pm
student 4 lyfe

ThatGurlD View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatGurlD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2014 at 10:05pm
Once you graduate, these are great things to look for in a job and ask about in a job interview Wink
SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2014 at 3:14am

well if you can't say you have all these things

all you can do is talk to your manager, wait for change and if change does not happen you get another job

and as for friendships at work, are we talking real ones or fake ones

I'll take fake over real
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2014 at 3:35am
To me gainful employment would be a pay packet that remunerates to reflect the complexity of my job and my effectiveness

Whilst I get paid decently, there's still room for gain.

Edited by afrokock - May 27 2014 at 10:06am
OoDles O View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote OoDles O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2014 at 9:20am
yes.
goodm3 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote goodm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2014 at 9:30am
Yes, except for friendships at work. 

I've never worked with people that I've respected enough to want to build even a fake friendship with. 
ThatGurlD View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatGurlD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2014 at 9:32am
When they discuss unemployment on NPR they always talk about the unemployed, the employed and the gainfully employed.  To me gainful employment means job security coupled with personal satisfaction.  Your not making horizontal moves all the time.  Your job does what you need it to do for you and your life.

I am gainfully employed however I'm tired of my commute.  It's 35 min each way which wouldn't be so bad if gas wasn't so expensive.  There is a hospital in the town where I live and they actually pay 10% more an hour but they don't treat their nurses well, there's hardly room for growth and they do not respect diversity.  

My current position works around my school schedule, my boss has given me cards for exceptional caregiving and it's a great environment.  I never thought I'd be one to take less money for peace but I can't see myself putting up with the BS I put up with when I worked at the local hospital for a year.  

I've heard on here that finding a job is easy but becoming gainfully employed I don't think is as simple.
ThatGurlD View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatGurlD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2014 at 9:38am
Originally posted by goodm3 goodm3 wrote:

I've never worked with people that I've respected enough to want to build even a fake friendship with. 

Are you in a management position?  I think it's hard when you're in management to make real friendships.  
I am really only good friends with one persona at work meaning we hang out outside of work with our families.  I am somewhere between friends and acquaintances with a handful.  There definitely are people I look forward to seeing at work.
goodm3 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote goodm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2014 at 9:58am
Originally posted by ThatGurlD ThatGurlD wrote:

Originally posted by goodm3 goodm3 wrote:

Are you in a management position?  I think it's hard when you're in management to make real friendships.  
I am really only good friends with one persona at work meaning we hang out outside of work with our families.  I am somewhere between friends and acquaintances with a handful.  There definitely are people I look forward to seeing at work.

I'm an IT project manager so I work with upper management and the people who report into them... Management will say things about people that are really uncalled for..then when I'm not in meetings I sit at my desk and put my headphones in....but for the most part, im not playing any music. You'd be surprised at things people say when they think you're not listening. 

If you gossip and back-bite about others, you'll surely do it to me. I don't respect that at all. So when they smile in my face...i just ask them what "WORK RELATED" questions they have for me and keep like that...  
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic