Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedAre there any NATURALS who dont straighten?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
shrew297 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2011 at 3:16pm
I've pretty much stopped all heat. I either air dry (in twists or braids) or roller set. 
Sponsored Links

bronzeg View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2011 at 3:22pm
i've only been natural for 6 months...i wanted to straighten to celebrate it...but i didn't have any interest to do so..i think i've had enough of straight hair..so i doubt if i'd straighten...maybe a blow dry once a year to trim
niki_p View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2011 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by momentoindigo momentoindigo wrote:

Yeah... I feel a little weird about a few youtubers who claim their hair grows long BECAUSE they flat iron it. 

They say the detangling process of naturally kept hair causes hair and length loss. But if you are washing and detangling once week (like plenty of natural girls) I don't see how that regimen works better.
i think I need to start doing this again, even every 2 weeks. 

As a rule, I don't use heat or straighten my hair-not because I don't wish to but because it takes too much time and I don't have a flat iron/blow dryer where I am.. Why spend x time to blow dry when I don't mind the curls and slight shrinkage that much? Or y time to flat iron when I'm just going to bun it and go(experienced this recently, my MBLish hair wnet back in a bun after I combed it out).

I've been using more heat in the past 2-3 monthss than I did for the past year or 2. Time for me to PS and get back to taking care of my hair.
tdenmil View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2011 at 5:07pm
I have been natural for 4.5 years and have never used heat other than the occasional dc under thry dryer on low and I've only done that 3-4 times total.

I just don't see the need to straighten it.  If I wanted it straight I would have kept it permed.  Besides, banding gets my hair pretty straight before twisting which is the only reason I stretch it.
sultrydoll View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2011 at 5:50pm
i didn't straighten or use direct heat through out my transition...before all of that i was "heat training/damaging" my hair without realizing it. it will be 2 years heat free in about a week...I think i can go longer. I don't plan to straighten again until i hate bsl or longer and then i will be doing a roller set. Embarrassed
CandiiMamii26 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2011 at 6:21pm
I really dont understand why people are so strict against using heat x amount of times a year, it really isnt a big deal. a lot of people use it frequently with minimal knowledge or care about avoiding damage and yet still have nice hair. To me, being natural and never straightening is missing out on a whole lot. even if you don't care about seeing the true length of your hair, you also miss out on seeing its true condition because when your hair is kinked up it is difficult to thoroughly inspect damage. one could straighten and be surprised by a few inches of ratty split/knotted hair when they thought it was only the very ends. or a spot of hair that is very broken off which they were unaware of due to shrinkage (even on very stretched hairstyles).

2Juicy4U View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2011 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by CandiiMamii26 CandiiMamii26 wrote:

I really dont understand why people are so strict against using heat x amount of times a year, it really isnt a big deal. a lot of people use it frequently with minimal knowledge or care about avoiding damage and yet still have nice hair. To me, being natural and never straightening is missing out on a whole lot. even if you don't care about seeing the true length of your hair, you also miss out on seeing its true condition because when your hair is kinked up it is difficult to thoroughly inspect damage. one could straighten and be surprised by a few inches of ratty split/knotted hair when they thought it was only the very ends. or a spot of hair that is very broken off which they were unaware of due to shrinkage (even on very stretched hairstyles).

I think the big deal is the setbacks that using heat can cause. If u wear you hair straight or stretched regularly then training your hair may not be a big deal to you. But most would consider it a setback if your forced to chop off ends/sections b/c your hair won't revert due heat styling. We see it too often on here and retention is the main goal of most naturals. To each it’s own but @ this time I’m not willing to take those risk.

Unsure about checking the true condition of your hair part. Maybe some of the veterans can chime in but I don’t think you have to flat iron your hair to see if it’s healthy or not. Doesn’t make much sense to me Confused

2Juicy4U View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2011 at 6:40pm

Loving the comments Big smile

AmaLama View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2011 at 6:41pm
I don't straighten and its honestly because I'm lazy. It takes too long to flat iron my naps. I did it once since going natural I don't see me doing it again unless it a special occasion.
momentoindigo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2011 at 7:15pm
My hair isn't particularly camouflaging. My curls are loose enough where I can see whether my ends are split if I pull the piece of hair enough to loosen it more. Just strange how my ends are just fine  until I flat iron it straight and then they  look brittle and broken. I don't think my curls are hiding anything form me, I just don't think it's good for my hair.
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic