Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > The Archives > Hair Growth Archives
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Forum LockedARE SILICONES GOOD OR BAD...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
slayfresh View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2009 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by stayinblown stayinblown wrote:

+ i didnt like the two step , i will only do light protein none in moistures either

I think most people don't understand what the two step is for or how to properly use it. It is meant to strengthen your hair ONLY. that's it. doesn't add shine, luster, moisture, nothing. and just for the sake of discussion this is how you use it:

wash your hair
apply two step treatment to wet hair and comb through immediately.
sit under dryer until dry and DO NOT TOUCH your hair AT ALL.
once dry, rinse very well.
then add the aphogee balancing conditioner (this is the part that most people skip and try to use their own DC and fail)
let that sit for a few minutes.
rinse and then apply your own dc if you like.
Sponsored Links

tropical-punch View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2009 at 12:39pm
I think it just depends. Cyclomethicone is one that dissolves so I still use products with it. I use other products with cones in moderation.

Those who do use cones how often do you clarify? I want to know cause I use a DC weekly that has cones.
Yardgirl View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2009 at 12:51pm
Just wanted to add that I get wonderful slip and moisture with a cone-free conditioner: Sally's GVP Conditioning Balm.
slayfresh View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2009 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by Yardgirl Yardgirl wrote:

Just wanted to add that I get wonderful slip and moisture with a cone-free conditioner: Sally's GVP Conditioning Balm.

I love this conditioner but doesn't have a lot of slip IMO because it has no cones so I add a cone conditioner to it LOL
talia View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2009 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by Claudie Claudie wrote:

Once you clarify and use silicones in moderation. I do not see a problem with using products with Silicones. There are different types of silicones, some people's hair do not do well with Amodimethicone aka Trimethylsilylamodimethicone .

Great topic OP.

Okay, I need expert advice here....so please don't send me to the search function cuz' I'm at school on my lunch hour and our computers are as old as dust....lol.

But can someone list the types of cones from a perspective of their weight, water solubility, etc. I'm so confused about cones. Perhaps I am not the only one that doesn't quite get it. I understand that they add slip to the hair, but do they stop moisture from entering? I've read things like that and I'm totally confused. I have this Keratin spray in condish at home that has Blue Marine Protein and Hydrolyzed Protein but when I saw something that ended in cone...I think it was the cyclo (blah blah) cone....I was like ok, I guess I can't use it. It has protein and my hair loves protein...but i has two types of cones Dimethicone and that clyco(blah blah)cone. Since I don't know what their solubility level is...I don't know if I can use ths Keratin spray. It also has Green Algae protein and chlorella I mean the thing is packed with great stuff....but the cone stuff has me
confuzzled.

TIA....

Hoya Princess View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2009 at 2:41pm
i am in love with pantene and all of their products contain cones. it works for me as long as i use it intelligently. i wash my hair with giovanni shampoo every 7-10 days so i leave NO time for the silicone buildup to get bad. the cones do help with smoothing, slip, and shine. i love my products. cones get a bad rap because people use them and abuse them. they are fine if you learn to work with them according to what your hair can handle
kwicherbichen View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2009 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by ayshia ayshia wrote:

what are your opinons???
do you think cones are good or bad and why???

i want to try Sabino moisture block but it is nothing but silicones but it claims to be good for the hair.....

should i or should i not????Ouch
My opinion is that -cones protect the hair and make it feel great. But you MUST remove the cones some how (I don't know if that is with sulfates or what...) and you have to figure out how often you need to remove the cones, otherwise, your hair will not be able to gain moisture and the conditioner will eventually stop working on your hair.
ayshia View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2009 at 5:09pm
hey COOKIEZ189 posted this in another thread...Thanks Cookiez!!!

neekie5235 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2009 at 12:27am
Originally posted by slayfresh slayfresh wrote:

Originally posted by stayinblown stayinblown wrote:

+ i didnt like the two step , i will only do light protein none in moistures either
I think most people don't understand what the two step is for or how to properly use it. It is meant to strengthen your hair ONLY. that's it. doesn't add shine, luster, moisture, nothing. and just for the sake of discussion this is how you use it:wash your hairapply two step treatment to wet hair and comb through immediately.sit under dryer until dry and DO NOT TOUCH your hair AT ALL.once dry, rinse very well.then add the aphogee balancing conditioner (this is the part that most people skip and try to use their own DC and fail)let that sit for a few minutes.rinse and then apply your own dc if you like.

i know i get better results if i mix the aphogee balance cond w/another dc. the aphogee by its self doesnt seem to do it.

but your right, the protein is just for strengthening. no other bells and whistles
neekie5235 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2009 at 12:33am
but i dont pay attention to the type of cones or whether they're water soluble... i just try different products and go from there... may not be the most effective way of picking a cone, but its what i do
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic