Perfect Hair Collection

Are retail workers justified in being upset

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 12131415>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
RoxieDream View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoxieDream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by Ladybird0724 Ladybird0724 wrote:

Originally posted by newdiva1 newdiva1 wrote:

I don't think folks are mad cause they gotta work black Friday. Folks feel some type of way because it's now mandatory to work dark grey Thursday aka Thanksgiving.

right....and the same type of ppl that are working those jobs can't ill afford to quit them. it really isn't as easy as finding a new job and quitting for some people.

in healthcare, or law enforcement, you generally know going in you would work holidays. retail has not always been that way. comparing them really isn't fair to me.

however, if people are really passionate about the issue, then they should stay home and not shop. i don't think it would happen though.ppl like their sh*t at discounted prices and will put up w/ a lot of BS to get it.

CNN said today that there's an increased demand for it .... and of course retailers have no problem obliging.

Sad stuff
Sponsored Links

PeacefulOne View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote PeacefulOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by Tbaby Tbaby wrote:

Actually I agree with her.  Retail isn't healthcare because you can't shut down a hospital for a day.  But hospitals do run skeleton crews on major holidays, too. 

Retailers are just being greedy opening on Thursday evening to beat the other stores that open friday.  If CONSUMERS pushed back and didn't shop on thanksgiving, that would send a bigger message to retailers to stop wasting their time opening and allowing employees a chance to enjoy the day with their families.

I was going to say she needs to suck it up, because that's the nature of retail, but reading your post Tbaby, made me change my mind. Embarrassed

You are absolutely correct, CONSUMERS drive the store/retail habits, BUT because the economy is so tight right now people are looking to make their money go a little further.  So there will be plenty of shoppers out during those hours.Confused

Last year I took off from Thanksgiving Eve untill Jan. 2nd.  This year I work Thanksgiving eve and day, Christmas eve and day, new years eve and day.  Time and a half.  And you are right again that hospitals run on least crew needed.  So while I will have a hopefully quiet relaxing night at work, retail workers will have backbreaking work, crazy shoppers and a mess to clean up.Ouch

Holidays are over rated.  Ima go sign ole girls' petition. . . Cry
nitabug View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitabug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 8:36pm
oh well, I have training on thanksgiving.
MizzAmirah View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MizzAmirah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by chinadoll77 chinadoll77 wrote:

Originally posted by lovelife lovelife wrote:

Some of the responses in here are disgusting. Everyone can't just find another job. No, it is not cool that they are making it mandatory to work on thanksgiving. You can't request it off because it is mandatory. Fcuk time and a half when you're making minimum wage and missing out on spending the holiday with your family. And lol at comparing working in health care to working at target.

So,we're wrong for not feeling bad about someone having to actually work on a job that they made a choice to apply for????Again,my facility is open 24 hours a day,7 days a week,we are required to report to work during storms(hi Sandy),do you really think that I want to go in,and monitor the little pyscho who's tried burning her family up during a blizzard,no...Do,I want to monitor the boy who stabbed his classmate in the neck on Christmas,Hell no... It is part of my job,I decided to apply,interview,and accept the position....

Thank you!Sleepy

It sucks.....many things suck! Lmao at someone calling it a slavery mindset. Talk about over begging it now. LOLLOL

Yes, it's greedy of the CEO's (cus I'm sure they'e all at home eating), but that's the nature of the job. I'm sure most applicants know of this when applying/interviewing, just like there's no season or storm that excuses me from reporting to work. It sucks, but that in the job description.

Edited by MizzAmirah - Nov 13 2012 at 9:19pm
Lonisha87 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonisha87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by Ladybird0724 Ladybird0724 wrote:

Originally posted by Lonisha87 Lonisha87 wrote:

They ask on apps are you willing to work holidays. I know target asked...

but if you really needed a job, would you say no and risk not getting it?

you look very pretty in your avi, btw

That's true cuz i know i say yeah when i don't want to.
and thank you
Lonisha87 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonisha87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

Originally posted by Lonisha87 Lonisha87 wrote:

They ask on apps are you willing to work holidays. I know target asked...

but it's one of those questions...if you answer yes you will not get hired.  no true autonomy
true
Random Thoughts View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Random Thoughts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by MizzAmirah MizzAmirah wrote:

Originally posted by chinadoll77 chinadoll77 wrote:

Originally posted by lovelife lovelife wrote:

Some of the responses in here are disgusting. Everyone can't just find another job. No, it is not cool that they are making it mandatory to work on thanksgiving. You can't request it off because it is mandatory. Fcuk time and a half when you're making minimum wage and missing out on spending the holiday with your family. And lol at comparing working in health care to working at target.

So,we're wrong for not feeling bad about someone having to actually work on a job that they made a choice to apply for????Again,my facility is open 24 hours a day,7 days a week,we are required to report to work during storms(hi Sandy),do you really think that I want to go in,and monitor the little pyscho who's tried burning her family up during a blizzard,no...Do,I want to monitor the boy who stabbed his classmate in the neck on Christmas,Hell no... It is part of my job,I decided to apply,interview,and accept the position....

Thank you!Sleepy

It sucks.....many things suck! Lmao at someone calling it a slavery mindset. Talk about over begging it now. LOLLOL

Yes, it's greedy of the CEO's (cus I'm sure they'e all at home eating), but that's the nature of the job. I'm sure most applicants know of this when applying/interviewing, just like there's no season or storm that excuses me from reporting to work. It sucks, but that in the job description.

It's not in the job description that they have to work on thanksgiving.
LilMissSunshine View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LilMissSunshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by blaquefoxx blaquefoxx wrote:

<FONT size=3 face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif">But whatever happened to just having seasonal employees who wouldn't mind working on those days?

I worked on black friday twice when I was at H&M. One shift was like 5am-2pm. The other time was like at 6pm-12amOuch

The worst day to work is the day after black friday..hoodrats galore with their returnsSleepy

I do think that this  tactic of opening super early is sure to fail. These retailers have been failing miserably all year, so I highly doubt early openings will be that much of a difference, especially if they are trying to make the quater. Also the deals/sales for Black Friday have not been that great over the years.

Like how many times Target is gonna offer a no-name 80 inch plasma for about $250?
At the store I worked at seasonal and core staff had to work Black Friday, and day after Christmas. Everyone had a shift...there was no calling out or trading a shift.
r0ck_starr View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote r0ck_starr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 10:05pm
I'm an asst. manager at a clothing store in the mall.  have to work Black Friday but not Thanksgiving. That mall is the king of ratchet malls and our store I've heard is one of the craziest. Well, next year I won't be there (I just wanted to work right out of college and chose retail management...I hate it but that's another story). I have never been out on Black Friday (EVER), I don't take x-mas gifts that seriously. BF is overrated anyway. I'm dreading 13 hour days - 6 day work weeks and all other loads of crap because I chose this job. I'll make the best of it. I'll just pray, remember I'm just filling up my resume up and I won't be there next year Big smile
LilMissSunshine View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LilMissSunshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by dijah.love dijah.love wrote:

who shops on thanksgiving?
You would be surprised. Folks will eat dinner and then go to Best Buy...some folks skipped dinner last year to get in line at Best Buy...and this was just getting in line waiting for doors to open...not actually shopping. A line formed at noon on Thanksgiving. smh.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 12131415>
  Share Topic