Perfect Hair Collection

Are retail workers justified in being upset

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by BeatriceBean BeatriceBean wrote:

Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

no it's not exactly the same but the underlying premise is that it is a job and some jobs do not give you the option of not working during federal or national holidays. i had to work on Valentines day at a restaurant. yea i wanted to be caking my own damn self--but i couldn't.

the purpose of retail is to make money. is it greedy? yes but they have seen a market for it and people want it.  

honestly--if they paid people more, i am sure most would not complain. my mother is  JW and she signs up for most holidays bc she is not celebrating it anyway and she gets paid more.  there are people who have no problem with this.

But Valentine's Day isn't a federal holiday. I know that I raised hell every year my employers tried to make me work on MLK day and I'll do it at every opportunity.

I just think that the idea that people should shut up and take whatever their employers give them is extremeley dangerous. Even if it doesn't go through, even if they have to show up for work, employees checking large businesses at any level is, IMO, extremely necessary. Because, as someone else said, when will it end?

The premise that money is money and business is business is very sad, because businesses will impede on their workers' freedoms at every turn if no one calls them on it.

IA. that is why unions were important for workers rights.
Sponsored Links

Lonisha87 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonisha87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 2:52pm
They ask on apps are you willing to work holidays. I know target asked...
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by Lonisha87 Lonisha87 wrote:

but it's one of those questions...if you answer yes you will not get hired.  no true autonomy
PRnena View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PRnena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 3:10pm

Not everywhere lol
joileprincess View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joileprincess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by PRnena PRnena wrote:

Wait. This petition is for starting black friday on thursday ? So she has to come in thursday night ? Not in the morning ?

Exactly. This isn't about about working Black Friday. This is about Thanksgiving evening with no option to opt out or trade with someone else. They made it mandatory.

My job requires us to work some holidays on a rotation. They also allow trades. There are often people, like myself, who don't mind working some holidays. It usually works out well, especially if there are incentives. Target and stores like it make far too much money to sh*t on their employees like this. If you're going to do it why not offer an incentive?
PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by joileprincess joileprincess wrote:

My job requires us to work some holidays on a rotation. They also allow trades. There are often people, like myself, who don't mind working some holidays. It usually works out well, especially if there are incentives. Target and stores like it make far too much money to sh*t on their employees like this. If you're going to do it why not offer an incentive?

when my sis was working as a RN she used to always offer to trade off to work holidays. When she got married and had a baby, nothing changed. My BIL would be looking at her like all sideways when she'd get up from the table on Thanksgiving and head to the hospital. I guess he thought that would change after they got married. LOL
Ladycoils View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ladycoils Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 6:13pm
It sucks and they should get time and half- that's the least target could do.
Ladybird0724 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ladybird0724 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by newdiva1 newdiva1 wrote:

I don't think folks are mad cause they gotta work black Friday. Folks feel some type of way because it's now mandatory to work dark grey Thursday aka Thanksgiving.

right....and the same type of ppl that are working those jobs can ill afford to quit them. it really isn't as easy as finding a new job and quitting for some people.

in healthcare, or law enforcement, you generally know going in you would work holidays. retail has not always been that way. comparing them really isn't fair to me.

however, if people are really passionate about the issue, then they should stay home and not shop. i don't think it would happen though.ppl like their sh*t at discounted prices and will put up w/ a lot of BS to get it.

edited for spelling

Edited by Ladybird0724 - Nov 13 2012 at 6:46pm
Ladybird0724 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Ladybird0724 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 6:33pm

but if you really needed a job, would you say no and risk not getting it?

you look very pretty in your avi, btw
noneyons View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote noneyons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 6:39pm
I truly empathize with the workers. I mean it really sucks. But they can celebrate the white man's pagan holidays on another day. *shrugs* I don't think its that serious but I know its the principal that counts. I get that. 
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415>