FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Are retail workers justified in being upset

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 15>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
dijah.love View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote dijah.love Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 1:21pm
who shops on thanksgiving?
Sponsored Links

newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 1:42pm
I don't think folks are mad cause they gotta work black Friday. Folks feel some type of way because it's now mandatory to work dark grey Thursday aka Thanksgiving.
RoxieDream View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RoxieDream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 1:43pm
LOL @ dark gray Thursday 
joileprincess View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote joileprincess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by Random Thoughts Random Thoughts wrote:

Word.

If Target wants to make a buck so bad, why can't they just run a special, thanksgiving day, on their website?

I hate the comparing health care to retail argument. As if you can order your heart transplant surgery online like a HDTV.

Opening your store on thanksgiving is just greedy and unnecessary.

ITA.

And I work in healthcare and wouldn't compare the two. Our facility has to stay open and its not an option. Also, we are given incentives such as holiday pay and we rotate holidays and are able to make trades. Target is looking for any way to increase their profits by any means necessary.
solena View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote solena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 2:03pm
I signed. There's no extra pay but the hours are longer the attitudes are worse and you don't get first dibs on merchandise def not electronics. Hell we couldn't shop electronics period until your shift was over and by then everything is gone. You don't get an extra discount or anything an you only get fed if you get one of the afternoon shifts and the food courts not open so you're starving dealing with ppls bs. It would make more sense to push Black Friday into Saturday more shoppers show up on Saturdays after holidays and the discounts are deep enough for shoppers like me to pass on online deals on cyber Monday. Never understood why ppl lined up for 50 discounted tvs

Edited by solena - Nov 13 2012 at 2:05pm
PRnena View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PRnena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 2:06pm
PRnena View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PRnena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 2:08pm
Wait. This petition is for starting black friday on thursday ? So she has to come in thursday night ? Not in the morning ?
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 2:19pm
no it's not exactly the same but the underlying premise is that it is a job and some jobs do not give you the option of not working during federal or national holidays. i had to work on Valentines day at a restaurant. yea i wanted to be caking my own damn self--but i couldn't.

the purpose of retail is to make money. is it greedy? yes but they have seen a market for it and people want it.  

honestly--if they paid people more, i am sure most would not complain. my mother is  JW and she signs up for most holidays bc she is not celebrating it anyway and she gets paid more.  there are people who have no problem with this.
SimplyPut View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SimplyPut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 2:24pm
Hospitals are not the only thing open on Thanksgiving. Hotels, Bars, Clubs, Restaurants, Grocery Stores, and Gas Stations are all open here for the holidays. Nobody is going to die if they don't get gas, a stiff drink, or that turkey they forgot to pick up either, but I don't see any complaints. My cousin does collections and she is working on Thanksgiving, but I'm sure aint nobody paying sh*t on sh*t that day, but you can expect a friendly call from her reminding you of your bill while you are stuffing your mouth. Everybody doesn't honor or believe in the same holidays, so you can't force the world to go by your beliefs.
BeatriceBean View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (12) Thanks(12)   Quote BeatriceBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

no it's not exactly the same but the underlying premise is that it is a job and some jobs do not give you the option of not working during federal or national holidays. i had to work on Valentines day at a restaurant. yea i wanted to be caking my own damn self--but i couldn't.

the purpose of retail is to make money. is it greedy? yes but they have seen a market for it and people want it.  

honestly--if they paid people more, i am sure most would not complain. my mother is  JW and she signs up for most holidays bc she is not celebrating it anyway and she gets paid more.  there are people who have no problem with this.

But Valentine's Day isn't a federal holiday. I know that I raised hell every year my employers tried to make me work on MLK day and I'll do it at every opportunity.

I just think that the idea that people should shut up and take whatever their employers give them is extremely dangerous. Even if it doesn't go through, even if they have to show up for work, employees checking large businesses at any level is, IMO, absolutely necessary. Because, as someone else said, when will it end?

The premise that money is money and business is business is very sad, because businesses will impede on their workers' freedoms at every turn if no one calls them on it.

edited for grammar and spelling

Edited by BeatriceBean - Nov 13 2012 at 2:36pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists