Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Are hbcus better?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus
 

Topic ClosedAre hbcus better?

 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
babyk94 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: May 22 2010
Location: Maryland
Status: Offline
Points: 33598
Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

Originally posted by babyk94 babyk94 wrote:

Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

JC = mediocrity?  a good JC has bridge programs to get to your target University.
Right it's better than nothing

many of the professors have transferred over from 4 yrs.  hell, George Lucas graduated from a CC and went on to USC.  I get defensive when ppl talk about CC's because of how many people i know who have graduated from one and gone on to realy good Universities.  You're doing the same thing in your first 2 yrs, only it's cheaper.  there is only a stigma bc of the drop out rate.  if you have set a goal you will achieve it.
Clap love you girl
Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
Finesseful View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member
Avatar

Joined: Jan 04 2013
Location: Kansas
Status: Offline
Points: 38304
Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 6:31pm
When I get my millions im opening up a black two year cc. Trill University. 
Back to Top
ImThatDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member


Joined: Jan 27 2009
Location: Wife & Aunt
Status: Offline
Points: 87900
Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

Originally posted by babyk94 babyk94 wrote:

Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

JC = mediocrity?  a good JC has bridge programs to get to your target University.
Right it's better than nothing

many of the professors have transferred over from 4 yrs.  hell, George Lucas graduated from a CC and went on to USC.  I get defensive when ppl talk about CC's because of how many people i know who have graduated from one and gone on to really good Universities.  You're doing the same thing in your first 2 yrs, only it's cheaper.  there is only a stigma bc of the drop out rate.  if you have set a goal you will achieve it.
Which is stupid because if these same people who dropped went to four year schools, they'd drop out there too.
Back to Top
oh_so_moody View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Feb 24 2011
Location: In Motion....
Status: Offline
Points: 50583
Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by Finesseful Finesseful wrote:

If more blacks went to HBCU's, they'd have a better sense of pride & community, but most of you are indoctrinated to believe white is right and that schmoozing with crackas is the key to success. But whatever, who am I to tell any buffoon how to spend their hard earned coonbucks.


Fist pump! Yessssssssss!!!!!
Back to Top
Limalady View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Jan 20 2010
Location: Kansas
Status: Offline
Points: 86960
Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by Finesseful Finesseful wrote:

If more blacks went to HBCU's, they'd have a better sense of pride & community, but most of you are indoctrinated to believe white is right and that schmoozing with crackas is the key to success. But whatever, who am I to tell any buffoon how to spend their hard earned coonbucks. 
 
Please! Some Blacks go to PWIs because they offer more scholarships, and you are talking about coons and coonbucks, last I checked Clarence Thomas and Hermain Cain were the products of HBCU's. Coons can come from any school. I agree with you. More Blacks should attend HBCU's. I wish I attended one, but the presumption that all Blacks that attend PWIs = Coons is faulty.
Back to Top
femmemichelle View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Jun 12 2007
Location: DC
Status: Offline
Points: 109919
Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by Limalady Limalady wrote:

I attended a PWI for law school and a State school for undergrad, and I wish I went to an HBCU. I think there is a stronger alum network and more support to help students succeed. Also, when large corporations are looking to hire diverse people, they don't look at PWI's. They go straight to HBCU's. If I could do it over, I'd change things, but I can't change my path. It is what it is.

Lol I asked my uncle this because he's a recruiter for Chevron and in the case of engineering.. 



Edited by femmemichelle - Jan 19 2013 at 7:13pm
Back to Top
Limalady View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Jan 20 2010
Location: Kansas
Status: Offline
Points: 86960
Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by femmemichelle femmemichelle wrote:

Originally posted by Limalady Limalady wrote:

I attended a PWI for law school and a State school for undergrad, and I wish I went to an HBCU. I think there is a stronger alum network and more support to help students succeed. Also, when large corporations are looking to hire diverse people, they don't look at PWI's. They go straight to HBCU's. If I could do it over, I'd change things, but I can't change my path. It is what it is.

Lol I asked my uncle this because he's a recruiter for Chevron and in the case of engineering.. 

 
I don't know about engineering, but for business corporations hire Morehouse grads. For law, a lot of DC firms hire Howard grads. I haven't struggled with opportunities, but I am jealous of the alumni network at places like Howard and Spelman.


Edited by Limalady - Jan 19 2013 at 7:18pm
Back to Top
RoxieDream View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member


Joined: Mar 27 2009
Location: HoustATLVegas
Status: Offline
Points: 41527
Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 7:54pm
Alumni networking is definitely a huge bonus
Back to Top
RoxieDream View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member


Joined: Mar 27 2009
Location: HoustATLVegas
Status: Offline
Points: 41527
Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by oh_so_moody oh_so_moody wrote:

Originally posted by sexyandfamous sexyandfamous wrote:

Try to name a few people whom graduated a black college/university and is in a good job or top position in your major.



Are you serious?

I know tons of people with great jobs who graduated from HBCUs, self included.



I didn't really take it as shade .... I thought sexyandfamous was saying if the school is producing graduates with prosperous careers in your field, that should tell you if it's worth going

As opposed to a school that's graduating business majors who end up selling shoes at Foot Locker.

just my interpretation lol


Edited by RoxieDream - Jan 19 2013 at 7:57pm
Back to Top
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Aug 08 2010
Location: Ethiopia
Status: Offline
Points: 329043
Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 7:59pm
No it was shade. 
Back to Top
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down