FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAphogee for natural hair???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Hair ViVi

Author
Jay1 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aphogee for natural hair???
    Posted: May 01 2004 at 11:53am

Are there any of you with natural hair (no chemicals at all ) that had success with the aphogee treatment??? I been reading through all the post for ideas (headache.lol) And it seems as if APHOGEE might be worth a try. I know there are already several posts and links to posts on aphogee (so I apologize for this one) but I can't tell if any of the users have natural hair. I just would like to know before I buy. When I look this stuff up online it says its great for chemically damaged, color treateated before and after tinting yada yada yada.... What about just plain ol nappy hair? My hair is in bad shape more than likely cuzz I didnt know how to care for it the way I should. Use to get cornrows every other week. Shampoo/condition in the shower, a lil grease, comb it out, then get it cornrowed...Nobody warned me that there was a lil more to it than that. Whelp after losing hair around my temples and hairline--a premature balding phobia kicked in and now I'm trynna do better by my hair. Since the beginning of this year I've been shampooing (mane n tail moist), reconstructor (after every wash), protein pack (nutress) every other week, deep condition (mane m tail moist), then sum mane n tail leave in. For moist I use orgrs carrot oil, olive oil, olive oil sheen, tea trea oil and damn near anything else by orgrs for moisture (not all at once). This was all recomended....I still havent quite seen the results I'm looking for. My hair is about 11 inches long or high rather (I wear it in twists or un-raveled twists or just out in a wild just woke up type style. My hair is still shedding like crazy when I comb it out. I'm not ready to cut my hair off frustration has brought me close to doing so. Eventhough White folks compare me to Justin Guarini daily (they don't know no better.lol), I've grown attached to it. I just want to know if aphogee is affective on just straight up natural hair that is damaged not necessarily because of chemicals or heat damage. Any testamonials???? I'd greatly appreciate it......

On another note while reading through the posts I ran across someone speaking about bacteria growing in hair products that were old. Hopefully you're reading this right now. In feb I noticed that the very front of my hairline would start tingling for no reason at all. It reminded me of those s-curl days when that stuff would just about start to burn. Although it wasnt as severe it was more of an annoying tingling. I would'nt be putting anything in my hair at that moment or anything like that I just felt it out of no where. After 2 weeks I consultated a physician who refered me to a dermatologist. He concucted skin tests on me which are long-drawn out-and tedious. When it came to my hair products I was only allowed to use one thing per week to see if the tingling was present or not. Come to find out my 8oz bottle of reconstructor (not gone say the brand...not trynna get sued.lol) which I used once a week as the direction say had formed a culture (I believe thats the word he used) that wasnt listed on the ingredients (obviously) that was irritating my scalp. Now I'd only purchased the stuff in Jan so it wasnt like I had it sitting around and it got old on me. Anyway I just wanted to share and testify that what was said about bacteria forming is deffinately possible. On the bright side I learned that I was allergic to pollen, cat fur, and several other things 

Sponsored Links

skinbeauty View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2004 at 1:16pm

Hi Jay1,

I use Aphogee every 4-5 weeks or less often.  I have texturised hair and when I do have lots of regrowth and shedding I use the aphogee treatment for damaged hair for my hair in bi-phase and it works for the regrowth as well as the chemically processed hair.

About the bacteria growing a culture in the hair reconstructor, that is very possible.  The product does not have to be "old".  Bacteria can grow into a large colony in a matter of seconds.  If the conditioner is one where you scoop it out of a tub with your fingers for example each time you dip your fingers into the tub you introduce bacteria into the conditioner so that does not surprise me one tiny bit.  Bacteria or fungus spores can get into a product even if it's opened only for a few seconds.  I would be more worried if the conditioner was in a tube and grew a culture because it is less likely to be opened in a bottle, as bottles usually have a flip top lid but either way bacteria can find there way into anything or anywhere once exposed.

Dust has large amounts of bacteria in it so storing products in a dusty environment can also be a reason why your conditioner had bacteria in it.

The reason why many hair products contain preservatives is to stop them from going off and to inhibit the growth of bacteria.

What I am basically trying to say is that just because your conditioner had bacteria in it, it does not mean that the manufacturers of the product are to blame, they can be to blame just the same as you can be.

I think it is important to store your products in a cool dry place.

Jay1 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2004 at 4:55pm

Hey thanks for the reply. Thats what I needed to hear. I'll start the new month off with aphogee...

The reconstructor comes in an 8oz squeeze bottle. Theres no telling. Even the dr. said not to do any finger pointing right now. Thats why I didnt want to mention the name. Plus like I said I'm learning all my allergies from this experience and thats a good thing. I've been eating onions for as long as I can remember. Doc says I show a reaction to them. Go figure. I'm just happy I didnt get any bald spots or anything of that nature from the reconstructor. Thanx again.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2004 at 6:42pm
You're welcome Jay1
Jay1 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2004 at 9:58pm
Skin if you dont mind Id like to ask a few more questions. I purchased the shampoo, moisturizer, reconstructor, and the treatment. Apparently their web site is down. And I dont know anyone whose ever used this stuff so please bare with me. I know the treatment is to be done no more than once every 6 weeks. What I want to know is after I rinse this stuff out (and after I rinse the balancing moist) am I then to continue on to my regular weekly routine ie reconstructor, deep condition? I'm just asking to make sure I'm not doing too much to my hair in one day. I also want to know is this treatment a protein treatment or will I still need to do the protein pk every other week or once a month or what have you?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2004 at 10:54pm

Step by step instructions for use of the aphogee treatment for damaged hair: http://www.folica.com/haircare/aphogee_treatmt.htm

I just typed you a whole heap of info and it did not post.  How annoying.  Ok, I'll try again in a few minutes.

Jay1,

Aphogee is a protein treatment. 

When you put in the balancing moisturiser, you can also use a moisturising conditioner mixed with the balancing moisturiser.  The moisturising condtioner will help re-introduce moisture back into your strands.

Take a look at this other aphogee thread for ideas on moisturising conditioners to use: http://www.blackhairmedia.com/Forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3523 &KW=aphogee&PN=0&TPN=2

I use Motions Moisture plus conditioner and Le Kair cholesterol conditioner mixed with the balancing moisturiser.  I leave it on for 30 minutes and sit under my steamer.

You can use the aphrodite conditioning cap to speed up the conditioning process or a hooded dryer if you have one.

Jay1 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2004 at 3:42pm
Again I say thank you..................

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2004 at 3:45pm
 you're welcome.
drahmafree View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2004 at 8:36pm
Jay1....you will love aphogee!!  Hopefully!  Let us know your results.
Jay1 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2004 at 11:22am

Hey. I like the shampoo. For a first time use it softened my hair a great deal. I don't know how I feel about the treatment yet. It started hardenning while I was trying to make sure I got it on all areas of my hair so I didnt get a chance to comb it through. Then while I was sitting under the dryer it was hard to get the dryer to hit the very lower back end of my hair. I started panicking. 30 mins had passed. I didnt want to leave this stuff on too long so I used a blow dryer to hit that area.

I'm somewhat of a pessimist I guess. I want to believe but for as long as I've been having problems with my hair I've yet to find that miracle cure in a bottle. I think I can honestly say there was less hair in the comb and on my hands when I combed it out. Yesterday I had my sister put my hair in two ponytails. Today when I woke up the hair leading into the ponytails had some wave to it where last week the hair leading to my ponytails looked kinda stringy and unnatural. So I don't know maybe my hair is on the road to recovery. I hope so. Hopefully I can get my hair back to a state where it's growing like crazy. And hopefully those area of my scalp and hairline that started thinning badly will thicken. Not only will I be happy. I'd also be willing to participate in an aphogee infomercial.lol. I'm gonna give this stuff a good 6 months and we'll see what happens..........

Hair ViVi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic