BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Apartment Issue- What to do?

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
BonitaApplebaum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BonitaApplebaum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Apartment Issue- What to do?
    Posted: Oct 23 2013 at 7:23pm
Almost a year ago I moved into a fourplex. I absolutely love my place. Its big and spacious, has hardwood floors, a big balcony, and a bathroom that does not violate the tub to toilet ratio (lol, I'm retarded, its something my overly OCD Virgo @ss came up with.) Anywho, It's a 10-15 min. bus ride from work and I'm close to everything. I also work in the same city so no taxes. Its off the river and in a really nice neighborhood. The rent is cool. I have to pay for heat though.

Recently, a new tenant moved downstairs from me. According to MY lease there is no smoking anywhere in the residence. Now, this tenant moved in 09152013 and I smelled cigarette smoke. I was going to do something then but decided to wait. I waited and haven't smelled it since. Now I smell it everyday as of 10202013. I assumed that someone else now lives with him because its so sudden. Then went to take out the garbage (with benoite clay in my hair, I know looking a HAM) he shuffles to the door to see me (our first encounter) and there is some else in his home. Again, assuming (I know) the person now lives with him.

I cant stand the smoke, I have asthma, I swear its giving me headaches and I really don't want the smell all in my belongings, ie furniture and clothing.

Should I tell the property manager or speak to the neighbors first. Letter or in person? Mind you my lease is up soon 12012013. I also have one other request in regards to the home.

How should approach this? I do not want ANY drama!

Sponsored Links

FarraFace View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote FarraFace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2013 at 7:31pm
Talk to the property manager. Tell him about your smoke induced health issues and then go from there.
oh_so_moody View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oh_so_moody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2013 at 7:32pm
Tell property manager.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BonitaApplebaum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2013 at 7:38pm
K. Was thinking I could talk to the tenant, but didn't want to be a snitchbtch... I'm almost positive his lease agreement says the same. It was an (insert name here) type lease. I read it thoroughly and was happy it was a smoke free place.
noneyons View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noneyons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2013 at 8:27pm
tell the manager and ask her/him not to reveal that you were the one who reported it. for all they know, the complaint could have come from one of the other tenants. 
Bonjour baby ooowee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Bonjour baby ooowee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2013 at 10:16pm
im moving into 3yrs where im @ I ONLY talk to management to get positive results in a way they understand where im comng from either email the property manager (after asking him/her for their management email info) or go in EARLY in the morning to have a chat with property manager NOT the leasing agent MANANGER ONLY!  ive shut down ALOT of bullsheittt that went on around me and STILL in the same apartment & love itWink my motto: long as you don't bother me, we coolLOL but you know from time to time its monkey that need tendin to so do what you need to do to make you happy babySmile
IslandSuga View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IslandSuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2013 at 6:18am
Bypass the neighbor and go straight to the manager.
GoodGirlGoneGr8 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoodGirlGoneGr8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2013 at 6:43am
Do it in writing.

Send an email with dates, times, etc. This way if some health issues arise with you and you need to break your lease you will have sufficient documentation that you brought the matter to the managers attention.
Chyna_Li View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chyna_Li Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2013 at 7:59am
go to the manager.  2nd hand smoke is not a game
my old roommate let her boyfriend live with us and he smokes constantly.
needless to say my ass had to go to the hospital as a result of 2nd hand smoke last december.
I am also asthmatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BonitaApplebaum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2013 at 11:49pm
Thanks to everyone for the replies.

Bonjour: I have an email address, for whom I'm not sure. I have to double check, think he might be the property manager.

Goodgirl:Good point. I really like this place, but if I have to I will move. I want to sign the lease for another year. I will email him from my job and send that email to my other accounts just in case I have to break the lease.

Chyna: Sorry you had to deal with that. Cigarette smoke is the worst. I think I'm getting headaches and I'm always sneezing like I'm allergic..
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System
 Post Reply Post Reply