Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

anyone raised a puppy before?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>

Author
bk2la981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bk2la981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 8:36pm
I've had 3 dogs in the past 3 years. My ex got the first (mini bulldog) without telling me and I was severely allergic to it. Potty training was a nightmare in 100 degree weather and he stank even right after a bath. I felt like I was in puppy prison. He gave it away to his co worker who has a big house and another dog. $800 down the drain. A year later he goes to the shelter to get another one. He got an ugly little 3 yr old, but grew on me because he is extremely smart. The ex trained him to be walked without a leash which I'm kinda against. I got another 3yr old from the shelter. Dumb as rocks but cute and very affectionate with people he knows. They both sleep with me or my daughter in the bed. my cuddly one loves to sleep in the hamper or in a pile of clothes. They keep eachother company so I'm not rushing to get home like when I had only one. Get an older dog of you can't wait. shelter dogs are awesome! Mine only bark when they feel they need to protect me.
Sponsored Links

danieb23 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote danieb23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by bk2la981 bk2la981 wrote:

I've had 3 dogs in the past 3 years. My ex got the first (mini bulldog) without telling me and I was severely allergic to it. Potty training was a nightmare in 100 degree weather and he stank even right after a bath. I felt like I was in puppy prison. He gave it away to his co worker who has a big house and another dog. $800 down the drain. A year later he goes to the shelter to get another one. He got an ugly little 3 yr old, but grew on me because he is extremely smart. The ex trained him to be walked without a leash which I'm kinda against. I got another 3yr old from the shelter. Dumb as rocks but cute and very affectionate with people he knows. They both sleep with me or my daughter in the bed. my cuddly one loves to sleep in the hamper or in a pile of clothes. They keep eachother company so I'm not rushing to get home like when I had only one. Get an older dog of you can't wait. shelter dogs are awesome! Mine only bark when they feel they need to protect me.

My baby sleeps in a pile of clothes as well! She pulls them out
of my hamper and lays on them while I'm in my room doing HW. As soon as I lay down to go to sleeps she comes and cuddles up under me.
uNaTtaiNAblE88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uNaTtaiNAblE88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 8:43pm
i got my boxer puppy at 8 weeks. she was used to being with her parents and brother so we made provisions for that. not sure if mentioned, but we made sure that she had a large stuffed animal to cuddle up next to in her kennel, and underneath we put a ticking clock to mimic the rhythym of a heartbeat. her kennel was next to our bed so she could see us. she whined for two nights and then that was it.expect whining. its what they do. if you can't handle it, then a puppy isn't for you.

in terms of potty training, her meals were scheduled, no free eating. that way we could make sure she went outside right after. we would take turns letting her out at night, because puppies can't hold their waste in for a long time, and will generally not eliminate where they sleep. she was praised for getting it right, and her word association is still, "potty outside." DO NOT engage in punishment conditioning for potty training, i.e. yelling or hitting when they don't get it right. we just didn't comment on it.

RESEARCH. RESEARCH. RESEARCH. its very helpful so you know what to expect. I visited boxer forums, dog behavior websites, got dog books from the library, etc. A dog is an amazing companion, but you owe it to them to think on their level when raising them, so they become well-adjusted. logic has no place in a dog's life, association does. exercise is everything, its not fair to keep them locked up for hours at a time, so I don't recommend them for single people with jobs. good luck!
Addicted19034 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Addicted19034 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by missunfoolish missunfoolish wrote:

thats what happened to puppy # 1 :(

lol. maybe i should wait for summer but ugh too far

Could try a puppy pad? Idk
modelbusiness82 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modelbusiness82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by Gkisses Gkisses wrote:

A few times but how young of a puppy are you talking? The younger it is the more they want to be up under you...I mean they have just been removed from their mom so they seek security. Maybe u should start with a puppy that's a few months to a year old who has been around ppl for awhile and is use to being left alone.

This...

My fiance and I got a yorkie when he was just 2 months old. And part of it was because the breeder kept him by her side at all times and the other was because he was just so young, but he CANNOT sleep away from us unless we're at the IL house where the dogs aren't allowed upstairs.

It also depends on the breed. Do your homework as some can be more challenging to train than others and certain breeds are more predisposed to health issues than others.
LovesHim View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LovesHim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 9:08pm
I started my yorkie off in a play pen at 6 weeks... He cried all night so I put him in a kennel in my bedroom..... Once he was potty trained I let him in my bed......  6 years later he is still in my bed.....
He keeps my feet warm at night......

My husband only kicks him out during sexy time
modelbusiness82 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modelbusiness82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by LovesHim LovesHim wrote:

I started my yorkie off in a play pen at 6 weeks... He cried all night so I put him in a kennel in my bedroom..... Once he was potty trained I let him in my bed......  6 years later he is still in my bed.....
He keeps my feet warm at night......

My husband only kicks him out during sexy time

Same here!LOL
Gkisses View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gkisses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 9:44pm
After thinking about it OP sounds like she wants a cat 
MsBella View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MsBella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 9:44pm
I gave my puppy a stuffed animal. I put it inside his kennel! Sometimes I let my ipad or radio play softly right next to his kennel and it really helped. 
nycdiva357 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nycdiva357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 9:48pm
i got my dog when he was a puppy...he's a shih tzu. I'd post his picture...but bhm always laughs at his clothing-- and im not in the mood today.lol
he's 7 now...

when i first got him..
we were very stict w/ his schedule... we fed him and walked him the same exact times every day.
he was so small-- it was hard for us not to want to play w/ him 24/7 but he had to get used to sleeping in his crate ( the breeder instructed us).  so when we first got him he only slept in the crate.

also since he was such a small breed-- we used to have to give him some form of sugar to keep his sugar up b/c he exerted so much energy w/ his hyper self to be so small.
I'd give him a small amount of honey or karo syrup to help w/ that.

he's good for the most part-- my mom ruined him tho'.
like he used to love dog food-- but now he wont go near it.
so yeah- we have to cook for him.

basically you get the type of dog--you train.
so always be mindful of that.
especially if you are doing this to raise a spoiled dog.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style