Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk (Newbies)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone in the military?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
Cream1970 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cream1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2013 at 2:17pm
The biggest complaint from recruits is the "bait and switch." You get all pumped up about the MOS you want and right before or even after basic training but before AIT, the recruit is told that the MOS they thought they were going to get isn't available. You think you're going to be working in Military Intelligence doing  but instead you're a cook or mechanic. (nothing wrong with that if that's what you want.)
Sponsored Links

sweet_n_stuff04 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sweet_n_stuff04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2013 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by Cream1970 Cream1970 wrote:

The biggest complaint from recruits is the "bait and switch." You get all pumped up about the MOS you want and right before or even after basic training but before AIT, the recruit is told that the MOS they thought they were going to get isn't available. You think you're going to be working in Military Intelligence doing  but instead you're a cook or mechanic. (nothing wrong with that if that's what you want.)

Now that really sucks. I'm Air Force (it was like this thread was a bat signal for me...I always seem to respond to military threads lol) and I made sure that the job I chose was guaranteed. Some people came in as what we call "open general" which means they don't have a job lined up for them so the military will put them in whatever they need at the time.

I wouldn't recommend going in open general because you could be anything from personnel to a cook to a cop.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote sweet_n_stuff04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2013 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by morenaloca morenaloca wrote:

What branch?
 Air Force

What was basic training and the pay like?

Basic training changed when I first joined. Back then it was 6 1/2 weeks and now it's 8. Basic training was annoying because of the yelling...I wasn't scared because my momma yelled worse than they did lol. Sharing a room/showers/space/spending your whole time with about 50 girls was annoying. The pay is okay...it was enough for me as a 19 y/o with no kids and it's okay now that I'm older and with a son.

What is your job?
3D1X2 Cyber Transport Technician

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/airforceenlistedjobs/a/3d1x2.htm

Do you like it?

My job? Yeah sometimes...I work with a bunch of guys on a diverse set of equipment. It comes with it's challenges. The Air Force? Yeah...sometimes...what's good about it is that I have chances for growth...I don't have to do the same thing my whole career. Right now, I want to be a Tech School Instructor...I'm reading up on my books from then just to refresh myself.

Is there anything the recruiter didn't tell you that you wish you had known?

I wasn't ready for the politics that are involved in the military.

Spokenword View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spokenword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2013 at 4:19pm

I wanna hear answers from black women.

you should consider posting in the regular TTT as well. i know there are a few women in the military there who may not see this post down here.

good luck with it all!

Spokenword View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spokenword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2013 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by sweet_n_stuff04 sweet_n_stuff04 wrote:

Now that really sucks. I'm Air Force (it was like this thread was a bat signal for me...I always seem to respond to military threads lol) and I made sure that the job I chose was guaranteed. Some people came in as what we call "open general" which means they don't have a job lined up for them so the military will put them in whatever they need at the time.

I wouldn't recommend going in open general because you could be anything from personnel to a cook to a cop.

i always heard airforce was a good way to go for women. not sure how true that is. my mother was in the army. 
morenaloca View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morenaloca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2013 at 5:09pm
@Cream1970 Thank you for the advice. I have heard that the standard of living is better in the airforce also.

@Sweet, what kind of politics?

@spokenword, thanks for the response. I will def post this upstairs
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet_n_stuff04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 27 2013 at 1:45am
Originally posted by Spokenword Spokenword wrote:

i always heard airforce was a good way to go for women. not sure how true that is. my mother was in the army. 

My mom did 20 years in the Army. She told me to join Air Force. I also did JROTC in high school so I was already familiar with the Air Force rank structure and marching.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sweet_n_stuff04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 27 2013 at 1:51am

@Cream1970 Thank you for the advice. I have heard that the standard of living is better in the airforce also.

I guess the best way to put it is if you aren't liked by your leadership, you'll have a hard time getting recognition so alot of people kiss butt. I've known people that would try and put in packages to become an officer only to get it shut down because they haven't won awards or the leadership just doesn't like them. It sucks because in order to win awards you have to send in a package of what you've done as far as your job goes/volunteer things/self improvement and leadership looks at those packages to decide whether you'll get the award or not.

I've also had to deal with lazy supervisors that would screw me out of awards or special duties because they were too lazy to write a letter of recommendation.
morenaloca View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morenaloca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 27 2013 at 3:28am

I guess the best way to put it is if you aren't liked by your leadership, you'll have a hard time getting recognition so alot of people kiss butt. I've known people that would try and put in packages to become an officer only to get it shut down because they haven't won awards or the leadership just doesn't like them. It sucks because in order to win awards you have to send in a package of what you've done as far as your job goes/volunteer things/self improvement and leadership looks at those packages to decide whether you'll get the award or not.

I've also had to deal with lazy supervisors that would screw me out of awards or special duties because they were too lazy to write a letter of recommendation.

Dead Sounds like high school
rebelle . View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rebelle . Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2013 at 10:28pm
What branch?
Air Force

What was basic training and the pay like?
Basic training was fun, now that I am not there.  I made a lot of great friends & great memories.  I also found out that I can do anything I put my mind to.  A lot of people didn't think I was going to make it because I was lazy as a civilian & EXTREMELY spoiled & girly.  LOL. As a civilian, I got my hair & nails done every two weeks & hated the gym.

The pay depends on your rank, where you are stationed, your number of dependents, & other factors.  You can find the base pay for each rank online.  Just Google "military pay chart 2013".  That'll give you an idea.

What is your job?
I'm a glorified secretary.  Admin work. 

Do you like it?
I love it. Best decision I have ever made.

Is there anything the recruiter didn't tell you that you wish you had known?
Nope.  I did  A LOT of research before I joined.  Also, my mom is retired Air Force & my father is currently still in, so all I've known is the military.  They helped with a lot of my questions, but my mom also told me if this was something I wanted to do, I was going to have to do my own research & not depend on her because she didn't have her own luxury.

I was on Google every single day & by the time I got to basic, I was EXTREMELY knowledgeable in what career I wanted, how basic was going to work, my tech school, etc.  A lot of your questions, you can find online.  I was so shocked on how little the girls I went to basic went actually knew.  I feel like if you're going to make a major decision in your life, you should exhaust all of your resources.  Never depend on the recruiter to tell you EVERYTHING about the military, because majority of them don't.  It's your responsibility to know what you are getting into, the recruiter is just a great tool, IMHO.

That's just me, though.  I'm a research freak. LOL.  I do the same for my weaves too.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic