Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone here an only child?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 18>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 2.60  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
nekamarie83 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nekamarie83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2013 at 5:34pm
^^^ Agree. I'm only fairly close with my cousins. We kinda grew apart, but we're all still cool. And I have my chosen family-- some are even bhm ladies-- my friends. We're ride or die.

It's just that mom is a whole "nother" level.
Sponsored Links

CherryCola View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CherryCola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2013 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by dreamz dreamz wrote:

Originally posted by CherryCola CherryCola wrote:

Originally posted by juicygyrl juicygyrl wrote:

Originally posted by Qualified Qualified wrote:

Im an only child, and it was all good until I lost my parents . I really wished I had a sibling(s) to weather both of the storms with me. This is why I want so badly to start and have a large family.

This is why I would like my baby to have a sibling. My husband only wants one child, and I fear my baby being alone once we are gone. Me being the youngest of 8 siblings we are very close, I feel sad my baby will not have that sibling bond that I share with my brothers and sisters. I mean my baby has tons of cousins but there is no bond like a sibling bond.

"No bond like a sibling bond?"  What about the many people who are estranged from their siblings?

Also:

<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 10pt" ="Msonormal"><SPAN style="LINE-HEIGHT: 115%; FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'; COLOR: #3e3e3e; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">"Nearly 2 million children use a weapon as a means of resolving a physical confrontation with a sibling.

Siblings commit 10 percent of the murders in the American family.

Children who are abused by their sibling(s) can become aggressive bullies.

Bullying starts in many American homes.

Each year, siblings abuse 19 million children…in their own home.

The linkage between bullying and sibling abuse has been grossly overlooked."

Source: Siblingsbully.com

Also, here's an interesting book about the dark side of siblings:

<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 10pt" =Msonormal><SPAN style="LINE-HEIGHT: 115%; FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'; COLOR: #3e3e3e; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">"Cain's Legacy: Liberating Siblings from a Lifetime of Rage, Shame, Secrecy, and Regret." Jeanne Safer

Here's a quote from Cain's Legacy: "Bonds between brothers and sisters are among the longest lasting and most emotionally significant of human relationships. But while 45 percent of adults struggle with serious sibling strife, few discuss it openly. Even fewer resolve it to their satisfaction."<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><O:P></O:P></SPAN>

<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><O:P></O:P>
</SPAN>

You could use a little empathy.

Why? I'm just pointing out that just because you have siblings does not alway guarantee that they will have a bond or be close.  What's wrong with that?
goodm3 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goodm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2013 at 7:13pm
one my college roommates was not only an only child but an only grandchild.....

she was/is the most giving person i ever met. she was not spoiled at all. she LOVED being around lots of people though. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CherryCola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2013 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by goodm3 goodm3 wrote:

one my college roommates was not only an only child but an only grandchild.....

she was/is the most giving person i ever met. she was not spoiled at all. she LOVED being around lots of people though. 

Thank you, goodm.

Some only children can be spoiled and some can be very giving.  I've always wondered why people assume that only children are suppose to be spoiled.  Anybody can be spoiled, whether you have one sibling or ten siblings.  In fact, people claim the youngest child can be spoiled, but I've never believed that.  My mother is the youngest of 7 siblings and she is a very giving person as well.
nekamarie83 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nekamarie83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2013 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by apple_sauce apple_sauce wrote:

Originally posted by nekamarie83 nekamarie83 wrote:

I enjoy my only child life. I can admit that I'm spoiled (first grand child too) and expect to get my way at times. In my favor, I'm VERY generous and thoughtful. I really care about people.

However, I have wondered about feeling lonely when my mom isn't here anymore. We're so close and I know I'd miss her SO much…
This is all of me exactly
Sweet!! It's a good life
_ConcreteRose_ View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote _ConcreteRose_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2013 at 8:28pm

this^

Is this something you are passionate about OP?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote CherryCola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2013 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by _ConcreteRose_ _ConcreteRose_ wrote:

this^

Is this something you are passionate about OP?

No.  I was just wondering if only children are still a rarity.

However, why did you say I could use a little empathy?  What did I say that's considered lacking empathy?
JamCaygirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote JamCaygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2013 at 8:56pm
A lady at work who is pushing 70is the sole carer for her 96 year old mother. She only has one child and that child only has one child. All divorced / widowed / too young to be married.

4 people in the whole damn family. She says caring for her mother is a burden, but the next generation will have the same burden...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CherryCola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2013 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by JamCaygirl JamCaygirl wrote:

A lady at work who is pushing 70is the sole carer for her 96 year old mother. She only has one child and that child only has one child. All divorced / widowed / too young to be married.

4 people in the whole damn family. She says caring for her mother is a burden, but the next generation will have the same burden...

You could have several siblings and the burden could still be on one sibling.  Apparently, it's quite common.

Check out these forums:

Caring.com.......Link: http://www.caring.com/questions/my-s...hers-revocable

Boomers-with-elderly-parents.com......Link:
https://www.google.com/url?q=http://...DkEIubFuFgJt4w

Healthboards Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia section......Link:
http://www.healthboards.com/boards/a...s-useless.html

Mikegamble.websitetoolbox.com.....Aging parents and elder care support group. Stroll down to you see "When Your Siblings Won't Help? Link:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...mLn6dWwWMu1ySw

There's even books about this very topic:

"They're Your Parents, Too!: How Siblings Can Survive Their Parents' Aging Without Driving Each Other Crazy." Francine Russo

Edited by CherryCola - Jan 28 2013 at 9:14pm
Luv2Teach View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luv2Teach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2013 at 9:18pm
I'm super late but I'm an only child!!!!!!!

(My father had two children prior to him and my mom getting married but I wasn't raised with them)
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 18>