FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone Been to Marrakech?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
Xamaycana View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xamaycana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone Been to Marrakech?
    Posted: Feb 07 2012 at 7:14am
This deep freeze is driving me insane!  We were suppose to go to the mountains next week for my daughter's half-term, but right now I can't bear the thought of being in more snow.

Morocco popped into my mind, since it's warm and there is a good Groupon special.

My only concern is the climate towards black people.  Has anyone been there and experienced issues as a black person?  

I know I should have posted in the travel section, but it doesn't get much traffic.    Any tips re Marrakesh or any other place that's currently warm but not to far from mainland Europe would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Xamaycana - Feb 07 2012 at 10:31am
Sponsored Links

Merin View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Merin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 07 2012 at 7:28am
If no on responds to you here do a google search of this question and check out the responses on Trip Advisor. These type of questions are asked frequently. 
Tbaby View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 07 2012 at 7:35am
cosign w/ Merin on TripAdvisor.  I always check my potential vacay spots by reading reviews on that site.
I have absolutely no idea where marrakesh is, lol
BeatriceBean View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote BeatriceBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 07 2012 at 8:28am

My daughters and I traveled to Marrakech over two years ago. We only stayed in Marrakech for two days, as we were touring Morocco and our main focuses were Tangiers (meh!), Casablanca and Fez. I wish that we had stayed in Marrakech longer (especially since the travelling time there is soooo long). It's a very interesting city with a lot of glamorous and historical things to do. Unfortunately, we spent the majority of our time there shopping in the souks so I can't tell you too much about the sites.

I can't say that we had any bad experiences. My eldest and I pretty much blended in. The worst that my youngest experienced (who is brown-skinned) was being referred to as Michelle Obama by everyone, and that wasn't bad at all. Truthfully, the people were exceptionally friendly. Locals seemed to know immediately that we're from the West, and the fact that we have enough money to travel to Morocco must have trumped the fact that we're Black.

I have a friend who lived in Marrakech for three years via the State Department (she's Black, too) so I'll ask her and return with any heads-ups that she may have.

Edited by BeatriceBean - Feb 07 2012 at 8:33am
Xamaycana View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xamaycana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 07 2012 at 8:51am
Thanks guys!  Merin and TbabyI do tend to go to Tripadvisor a lot, but I don't know how big the black membership is really.  I wanted to hear from actual black people, not the white perception.  But it is worth a shot, so I will check it out and maybe post my own question.

Beatrice- I could kiss you!!! Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I do have a black friend who went, but she is Somali, so like you and your older daughter, she blended in.

Hilarious about your  other daughter!  There are much worse things one can be called than a Harvard educated lawyer who is married to one of the most powerful men in the world!   I'd be happy to just not receive outright hostility.

Thanks for offering to check with your friend. 

BeatriceBean View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote BeatriceBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 07 2012 at 9:00am
No problem! We had a great time and I'm sure that you will, too.

I also checked TripAdvisor and found one post by a Black woman staying in Marrakech. She speaks about racism in both posts, but the latest one is regarding racism specifically.

How long will you be staying?

Edited by BeatriceBean - Feb 07 2012 at 9:01am
Xamaycana View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xamaycana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 12 2013 at 2:30pm
Bumping over a year later! 

Beatrice, if it's not too much trouble, could you check with your friend for me regarding things to do/see in that area?  We've already booked so no turning back at this point. 

If any body else has been and has any tips I'd love to hear them.

FarraFace View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FarraFace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 12 2013 at 3:38pm
AuntyB ain't been on in a minute Xamaycana. I think she's on FB. IDK her FB info though.
Naturalchick30 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Naturalchick30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 12 2013 at 3:42pm
I've always wanted to visit Morocco
Printer_Ink View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Printer_Ink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2013 at 2:51am
Originally posted by Xamaycana Xamaycana wrote:

This deep freeze is driving me insane!  We were suppose to go to the mountains next week for my daughter's half-term, but right now I can't bear the thought of being in more snow.

Morocco popped into my mind, since it's warm and there is a good Groupon special.

My only concern is the climate towards black people.  Has anyone been there and experienced issues as a black person?  

I know I should have posted in the travel section, but it doesn't get much traffic.    Any tips re Marrakesh or any other place that's currently warm but not to far from mainland Europe would be greatly appreciated!

Why are you worried about being Black in Morocco?

I hate to state the obvious but if you look for racism ... you are sure to find it, though that does not always mean ... it actually exists.

I have been all over Morocco by 4 wheel drive - from Casablanca (very Muslum btw!) to the High Atlas Mountains to Fez (The Fez Medina!) to Marrakech and it's beautiiful.

I could tell you a lot but mostly Marrakech is very international! The hotels are very western so it's a little like the best parts of Europe on steroids. You will hear lots of different languages and see lots of interesting people. The food is great! If I had to live in Morocco .. it would be in Marakech!

Loved the place.

Edited by Printer_Ink - Oct 13 2013 at 2:59am
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists