Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Any Hula Hoopers? (Hooping Mom on Latifah)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 9:46pm

=

The poly tubing usually used for irrigation is ideal for making hula hoops. Most hoopers use either 160 psi 3/4" diameter pipe (my favorite) or 100 psi 1" diameter. If you want a lighter hoop, or are making them for kids, use 100 psi 3/4" tubing. (Note: 160 psi 1" will make a very heavy hoop.) Tubing usually comes in 100 foot coils, and can be found at irrigation supply stores, and at some Home Depot and Lowe's-type retailers. (Prices range from $15-25 per 100' -- enough for 8 hoops)

[Having trouble finding tubing? Hooping.org has suggestions.]

Other supplies:

• Ratcheting PVC cutter (the best way to cut tubing - see below)
  • Insert-connectors (1" connectors for 1" tubing ; 3/4" for 3/4" tubing)
  • Colorful tape (electrical tape works well)
  • hairdryer (to soften the tube ends - soaking in hot water also works)

Choose your hoop size - and cut. (My hoops are usually between 11'6" and 13' in circumference, but instead of measuring you could just make a loop that stands somewhere between navel and shoulder height.) You could use a hacksaw or a sturdy blade, but to make a safe, clean & easy cut, I've invested in a $12 ratcheting PVC cutter. It works beautifully.

The two ends will be connected with an inserted connector. These should be available wherever you buy the tubing. Make sure you get 1" connectors if your tube is 1" in diameter (and 3/4" connectors only if you have 3/4" tube).

At this point, you can add weight or noisemakers into the hoop. For extra weight (a better workout - and perhaps a bruised waist), pour in a cup of water or sand. For noise, pour in 20-30 small beans or corn kernels. (Note that you can't easily get these things out once the hoop is made, and that you might not always want to have a noisy hoop....)

The tubing ends must be heated to make them pliable enough to accept the connector. A few minutes of focused hairdryer heat will do the trick, as will soaking the ends in hot water. (You can also carefully hold them over a stovetop gas flame, but you really don't want to start melting the stuff.)

Quickly grab a connector, and push the two tube ends together over the connector. If it doesn't go in, you need to heat it up more. The connector should disappear entirely within the tubing. As the tubing cools, it will contract around the connector for a strong seal.

I don't think it's needed, but I usually duct tape the seal.

At this point you could also apply some padding. Matt recommends wrapping copper pipe insulation; I like Rubatex pipe insulation that fits over the hoop..

Now comes the fun part: Decorating!

I tend to make colorful candycane stripes of electrical tape. You could also duct tape the whole thing, or leave it black. A huge selection of tape, from the mundane to the fantastic, can be found at identi-tape.com

Three finished hoops, ready for action. For a quick hooping demonstration, look here. [269K]

Edited by PurplePhase - Apr 17 2014 at 9:47pm
Sponsored Links

maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 9:52pm
Ok purp now you have me thinking I can actually make a hula hoop...crimson and cream mmmhmmm.

I bet using the weighted ones on my arms would be great too. Low impact exercise that's right up my alley (especially since I can't seem to find a heated pool).
Midna View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 9:55pm
Do they have clear versions cus uh.. I wanna make it glow. Cool

I've been learning how to program LEDs!

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 10:22pm
what you gon' be doing with that hoop Midna? lol

I don't know about clear irrigation tubing.. it's probably out there though.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 10:26pm
if you make one, a tip to make the tubing easier to cut is to heat it with the hair dryer before cutting. I just  use a box cutter to cut my tubing, and after heating tube w/ BD, it cuts like butter .

Edited by PurplePhase - Apr 17 2014 at 10:27pm
ModelessDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ModelessDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 10:31pm

I have a weighted hula hoop..
It tightens your core/ab muscles, you can feel them tighten while you are hooping...

I think the longest i have done was 15 mins straight. Whew.
I kept looking at the clock every second.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 10:34pm
I hoop to songs that way I can go longer w/out realizing it. In my head I'm on stage lol.
coconess View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coconess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 10:34pm
i bought a weighted hood forever ago cus i read about it sculpting your stomach.. 

i barely used it. 
i still have it.. 

anywho latifah looks good.. i havent seen her in years. 
and i thought i was a great hula hooper but yea.. shes great. 

ModelessDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ModelessDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by PurplePhase PurplePhase wrote:

I hoop to songs that way I can go longer w/out realizing it. In my head I'm on stage lol.

lol i stand in front of the TVLOL
Midna View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 10:52pm
Purp, you need to get back into hooping because there is magic to be spun!!

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic