Angkor Cambodian Hair

Any Grad School Tips?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>

Bootiful Cream

Author
nitabug View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitabug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 07 2014 at 7:33pm
Stay single
Sponsored Links

callmeDEva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote callmeDEva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 07 2014 at 7:34pm
Join a study group if you can. You don't have to be buddy buddy but from what I've experienced, it's those students who help each other out that stay on top. Plus it's good to know "insiders info" on certain things
Limalady View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Limalady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 07 2014 at 8:24pm
Don't go.
JasmineE02 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasmineE02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 07 2014 at 8:29pm
I have to go. LOL  Everyone shouldn't, but I need to. 
Lite Brite View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lite Brite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 07 2014 at 10:37pm
Idk, I only have my master's ( I wanna end up with a ph.d in clinical psych too.. *high five*) so my experience is different..But, it was fine, went by fast, I'm unorganized, and kept my terrible habit of not reading as we go and studying everything the night before

I had good professors though so I learned a lot in class and practicum

I will say I'm the sh*t at my study habits the night before the test (the way I organize my notes, how I make certain stuff stand out visually for easy recall on the test etc). I'm sure you know by now which habits work best for you. So, good luck and have fun!
zolloh View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote zolloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 9:17am
Yeah who says no social life?....there are way too many married grad students around these parts, ok they married each other but still LOL....even a lot of our faculty are married to each other, you just dont realize it coz the women very rarely take their husbands' last names, in fact it's highly discouraged.

I'm now coming to an end, but my experience has been awesome, mainly due to the kind of relationship I have with my advisor. I hate being micromanaged and she hates micromanaging, so she's let me be truly independent. Some of my friends have had it rough with their advisors, going as far as hostile work environment complaints filed with the univ police, department chairs being called in by the deans etc.

So my 3 pieces of advice I'll give any new grad student:

1. I'm not sure how Clin Pysch works in terms of a mentor but if your work is thesis based, choose your advisor very very carefully. Talk to former students, current students, etc. This person will be effectively in charge of your career for the next few years, outside your spouse/SO, this person is running your life. Their work ethic, what they expect from their students etc. Know all that. Also at the end, your advisor is going to help you find a job, so that relationship is very important way beyond grad sch.

2. Surround yourself with like-minded people i.e. study habits etc. I went to grad sch many years after undergrad so i couldn't be out in the bars on a Wednesday night with 25yr olds. Know what you went to do there and get to work.

3. If you are in a PWI/department, be ready for the racial bullshat that comes along. Very early on, my advisor sat me down and told me point blank that there were many people who didnt think black people belonged there so i would have to work twice as hard to prove im half as good. And a lot of the bullshat white kids get away with, i would be slayed for and nailed to the wall. I thought she was full of sh*t, but yap, true enough, that plays out everyday.

Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasmineE02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 10:29am
Thanks guys Heart  *bookmarks thread*  
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasmineE02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 12:48pm
Are there any signs to look for with a good or bad mentor and adviser?  
purpulicious01 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purpulicious01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 12:51pm
If you aren't already, become a reader. A lot of reading is required in grad school generally, but especially within your chosen field. Stay up with class readings and go ahead of the class (i.e. read the next lessons/chapters before everyone else)

Just curious - are you in a combined Masters + Ph.D clinical psychology program?

I did my undergrad in psych and grad school is a future goal as well. 
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasmineE02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 1:04pm
I didn't make it into the clinical psych program (Cry), so I'm just doing the general psych masters program.  A lot of people go that route to prove they have want it takes.  Thanks to some advice from another bhmer, I've been looking at military specific programs as well.  They have a lot of scholarship opportunities.  Yay for money!  The military is pretty desperate for people right now.  People are scared off at the idea of deploying.  I'm actually wanting to deploy at least once.

I'm definitely an avid reader, so keeping up shouldn't be a problem.  Are a lot of textbooks digital these days?  I find that I like reading on my kindle and tablet a lot more...it's also easier on my back.  I was shoving "House of Leaves" into my purse and it was digging angrily into my shoulder. LOL  

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarg
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic