Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Lace Fronts (Newbies)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Any genius wig securing techniques?

Post Reply Post Reply

Bootiful Cream

Author
Aphelion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aphelion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any genius wig securing techniques?
    Posted: Nov 23 2013 at 5:52pm
I currently secure my wig with clips at the front and back. I have been wearing it like this for 3 months and where I secure the clips, I now have small bald patches the size of the clips =( so its concealing my hair thinning problem but making it even worse! I can't go out without it anymore I am currently saving for a glueless wig but don't want to waste this expensive one. 

I wanted to use the elastic band method but it wouldn't work, the wig kept popping back, the sides rose up and pulled back, the back slipped up, can't glue it because I wear it behind my hairline and no-one ever knows Im wearing a wig, in front of my hairline this one looks terrible as it was badly made at the front. 

Have I missed any techniques for behind the hairline that won't ruin my hair until i get a glueless wig to wear in front of my hairline. The hair damaging and pain is upsetting me.

Edited by Aphelion - Nov 23 2013 at 5:54pm
Sponsored Links

Lwhite1960 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lwhite1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2013 at 7:49pm
Try Got2BeGlued. Use it like you would adhesive, it holds like crazy. Clean up only takes...wait for it..water. Even if you sweat it will re-adhere. hth. Tried to say this right after you posted but damn BHM would not let me.
Printer_Ink View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Printer_Ink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2013 at 7:21am

Well, I have said this many times on this board. You can't secure these units, weaves, falls etc to our natural 4b/c hair ... without it breaking off the hair AT these exact points where they were attached.

It's because of the curvature of our hair. At every bend of a strand of our hair .. it is thinner and thus weaker and when something is pinned to it ... it rubs, rubs, rubs against those weaknesses and .. breaks. Also, the strain of the adherence affects the hair from the roots … and that’s why you get bald spots eventually.

Sometimes it happens closer to the scalp than other areas and sure some people have hair that is more resistant to this breakage but .. month after month .. year after year ..  it will take a toll sooner or later. You should ask a (Black) dermatologist about this plague in the Black community. He will tell you all about it.

This is why so many weave wearers have problems. If you set the units off your head and have your edges out secured by rubber bands, pins etc .. eventually you will have damage there as well. So I really do not advise you to try top find clever ways of wearing the units with your hairline out. Nooo.

I have so many half bald gfs that have been in and out of weaves etc for the past 25 years and now that they are in their 50s .. they have major hair problems. I tried to warn them too - but they just blew me off because they wanted that look.

Okay, IMO the best thing you can do is to wear these units as they were intended to be worn .. meaning .. adhering the units with tape/glue. Underneath – see a Dermatologist to help you regain your hair (if possible). So you have to ‘doctor’ on your hair under the units .

So you need to get a new unit and doctor on the hairline so it looks real or wear side bangs etc to somewhat hide the wig hairline if you can't figure it out.

There are a zillion different brands of tape/glue - try www.hairdirect.com - they have a large selection you just have to find one that suits you – but it’s not gonna take that long. You also have to use a protectant on your skin and cornroll your natural hair flat and apply the tape to the SKIN around your head (not your hair. Do not get the tape/glue on your hair). I like the tape because it's strongest and cannot move or touch my hair.

Sorry for your situation, but that is my advice.

Edited by Printer_Ink - Nov 24 2013 at 7:26am
MassGal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MassGal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2013 at 9:35am
Originally posted by Aphelion Aphelion wrote:

I wanted to use the elastic band method but it wouldn't work, the wig kept popping back, the sides rose up and pulled back, the back slipped up, can't glue it because I wear it behind my hairline and no-one ever knows Im wearing a wig, in front of my hairline this one looks terrible as it was badly made at the front. 

Why didn't the elastic band method work for you? At what point were you adhering the band? I measure from ear to ear and  measure a but lower to add an additional band just underneath my ears. 

Are you using your exact ear to ear measurements? I find it works best if you cut 3/4 an inch or 1/2 from the measurement.  I saw a youtuber who cut an inch from the measurement and I tried that and while my unit was flat and secure, my head throbbed like crazy!  I swear I could not think straight and was super cranky! 

I am now natural underneath and stick to kinky straight or italian yaki units &  tend to allow baby hair only out so it looks natural.  Also, I can't ventilate, tried many times with a little success but was never able to grasp it the way I felt comfortable so what I do now is attach afro curly hair around the front perimeter of my units with black invisible thread.

I cropped pics to show hairline, but I  keep getting error messages. I will post them in a separate message. I would post full shots but can't block face on this laptop/don't have the right program on this laptop.

If you want to use adhesive, I always found ostomy adhesives like Nu Hope worked best .

Edit: Still can't upload pics so added some here

Edited by MassGal - Nov 24 2013 at 10:13am
hennared View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hennared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2013 at 10:25am
I couldn't do the elastic band thing, either.  Well ok some wigs the arrangement of the measurements worked better than others, but mostly... no.  I use tape daily.  It's not that time consuming, not damaging with skin protector (for me) and it .. well, like Printer Ink says, it means you are wearing the wig the way it was intended.  Other than that... I am a recent fan of closure wigs on a snug Japanese swim cap for those 'I just need to toss something on my head' sort of times..

Edited by hennared - Nov 24 2013 at 10:25am
chatnoir View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chatnoir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 25 2013 at 1:35pm
Henna, how many wefts are you using on your wigs for a full look?
hennared View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hennared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 25 2013 at 3:50pm
hey, Chat, good to 'see' you, hope all is doing ok for you..

I'm still working that out.  I find 3 bundles is a bit too much hair, but I can't seem to get the track placement to give enough coverage with 2.... I think for me 2 1/2 is about right!    I LOVE the hand tied wefts for closure wig making but they are so pricey and nearly always have to be custom ordered.  I have split some of the double wefted tracks and sealed with out problems, that helps in distributing the hair.  I am definitely stilll learning by trial and error with this!
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarg
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic