Mynx Hair

Author
LilMissSunshine View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2010 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by leftywefty leftywefty wrote:

Ms. Pink-
Yay!! My best friend is pursuing cardiac surgery also. If medicine is truly what you want them please don't settle for nursing!
Anyway, about the MCAT. YES the prep course is worth it. $1800 is merely a drop in the bucket. Johns Hopkins, first off, is one of the best medical institutions in the world, extremely competitive. Their students are averaging 3.7+ GPA's 35+MCAT's. Do you think any of them skimped on their MCAT prep? Probably not. Once you actually get into medical school tuition is probably somewhere around $40K, housing $10K. Think of this as an investment. Do what you have to do now, or you might regret it later.

Volunteering. Yes it makes a huge difference. Actually mostly ALL medical students have significant hours volunteering. Hundreds of hours. It shows dedication to the community. Any and all volunteering is encouraged especially at hospitals.

If you want Johns Hopkins/Georgetown then research experience is a must. Does your university have a research program?

Howard isn't as competitive when it comes to scores as other schools are, but their purpose differs greatly from other medical schools. They focus on producing physicians who are highly dedicated to serving urban city areas, (inner city DC)
ITA with the bolded...cuz you will be disappointed. Nursing and medicine two completely different fields.
Sponsored Links

LuckyCharm View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2010 at 12:13pm
Hey All....I am always in the growth section and rarely come out of there, but I happen to be lurking around and saw this thread.  I am pre-med as well and am currently at war with *THE BEAST*, aka the MCAT.  I start my PR prep course this wednesday (which I should have taken the first time I sat for the test).  But anywho, I thought it would be nice to get to know other students pushing for the same goal (ESP. minorities)
-LC
LuckyCharm View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2010 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by prnscz prnscz wrote:

I graduated with my bachelor's in psychology in August 09 was planning on going to grad school for occpuational therapy and working in pediatrics and going back for my doctorate. I have now decided to go to med school. I graduated with a 2.97 and am now completing my pre-reqs. I am meeting with my pre-med advisor to get a personalized plan to get me on the track to grad school I know I have a long road of head of me getting my gpa up and then taking MCAT also getting volunteer hours. I'm excited though and can't wait to see the results of my hard work pay off. I'm 23 and by the time I finish with med school/residency for pediatrics I'll be 32 it's going to be well worth it. We have to support each other not everyone has people in their corner helping them. Just stay focused and remember anything is possible! There are people in their 40's preparing to go to med school, do whatever will make you happy.

Hey prnscz, have you considered any post-bac programs that are tailored to students that dont have all of their pre-reqs completed?  I have came across a lot of them that look very promising, and most of these are linkage programs as well.
leftywefty View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2010 at 4:35pm
hey luckycharm good luck with mcat prep
plzgrow View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2010 at 4:51pm
Well im in Pharmacy school... If that counts
hma128 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2010 at 5:27pm
I am currently in nursing school but I've been considering going to med school after getting my nursing degree. Has anyone done this or does anyone know someone who's done this?
aeryanna View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2010 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by hma128 hma128 wrote:

I am currently in nursing school but I've been considering going to med school after getting my nursing degree. Has anyone done this or does anyone know someone who's done this?
Yes!! I belong to an online community www.mommd.com and there are PLENTY of nurses there that have gone further and become doctors. I am a Registered Nurse and I  have been considering Medical School since High School.
leftywefty View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2010 at 8:40pm
has anybody considered the options for paying for medical school? my med school is extremely expensive ($50k tuition alone) and I'm leaning heavily towards joining the air force or navy. Anyone have any insight on taking military scholarships?
I <3 KimK. Hair View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2010 at 2:49pm

Leftywefty my uncle was trying to convince me to join the navy for med school and all my training because they'd cover 100% tuition and housing and they will give you a stipend to live off of while in school Wink So I did some research.

BUT
When you are not in med school, like summer breaks, you have to serve in your military capacity. Once you graduate from med school you will return to duty to serve your internship or residency as a military doctor, plus you will owe the military six years of service. It's something you have to really consider because if you don't like it there's no backing out.

ALTERNATIVE
After you graduate from med school and do your residency you could sign up to be a doctor in the navy/airforce etc.

You could join the Navy Health Professions Loan Repayment Program. you can receive up to $120,000 to pay off your student loans (up to $40,000 a year for three years). The Navy also offers you a sign-on bonus from $180,000 to $400,000. The bonus depends on your specialty and your service commitment.
and it's in the contract that to be eligible you must agree to serve as an Active Duty Medical Corps Officer for each year you obtain loan payment. The contract is usually 8yrs for people coming out of residency.
HTH
I was in your position a while ago!
2bBsL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2010 at 12:25am
PA for me ;)
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic