It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
leftywefty View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2009 at 9:12am
bump. come on ladies. They desperately need more black physicians. Anybody debating between nursing/medicine?
Sponsored Links

Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2009 at 5:05pm
Ms. Pink-
Yay!! My best friend is pursuing cardiac surgery also. If medicine is truly what you want them please don't settle for nursing!
Anyway, about the MCAT. YES the prep course is worth it. $1800 is merely a drop in the bucket. Johns Hopkins, first off, is one of the best medical institutions in the world, extremely competitive. Their students are averaging 3.7+ GPA's 35+MCAT's. Do you think any of them skimped on their MCAT prep? Probably not. Once you actually get into medical school tuition is probably somewhere around $40K, housing $10K. Think of this as an investment. Do what you have to do now, or you might regret it later.

Volunteering. Yes it makes a huge difference. Actually mostly ALL medical students have significant hours volunteering. Hundreds of hours. It shows dedication to the community. Any and all volunteering is encouraged especially at hospitals.

If you want Johns Hopkins/Georgetown then research experience is a must. Does your university have a research program?

Howard isn't as competitive when it comes to scores as other schools are, but their purpose differs greatly from other medical schools. They focus on producing physicians who are highly dedicated to serving urban city areas, (inner city DC)
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2009 at 6:09pm
Wait, When do you plan on taking the MCAT??? It's recommended that you take it junior year spring semester. Just so things won't be too rushed and you'll have finished all your prerequisites (bio,chem,phys)

There's a company called Genius 360 who use people with Ph.D's to teach their review sessions. Not sure if it's offered where you are, I know they're in Atlanta though.

I know that they offer many different MCAT prep books and thats fine and everything. But if you're trying to go to Johns Hopkins, then I would highly highly recommend you pay for a course. Yea, some people find them helpful, and some people don't. But would you rather not take the course and never know if you could've scored higher because of it?

And I really don't think the people with zero volunteering hours have a good shot at medical school. How can you say that you want to serve the community, yet you've never volunteered? That would raise some questions with the admissions office. They want to see dedication and commitment. That's part of the reason why there are so few medical school dropouts.

You're right it is a toss of the coin. There are more than enough qualified applicants to med school. Just not enough seats. My advisor said when she was in undergrad, a 3.0GPA and 15MCAT got you into med school for sure. It gets more and more competitive every year.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 20 2009 at 9:25am
Well, you need to apply about a year before you intend on enrolling. You would need to have your application submitted between June-October of 2010 if you want to begin med school in fall '11. I really don't think you would be adequately prepared to score a 35+ on the MCAT without taking physics and orgo II.

The princeton/kaplan review is just that, a review. They aren't there to teach the subjects, just to refresh your memory. I think that would be putting WAYYY too much pressure on yourself to try and learn physics and orgo in a prep course. I think you should wait until after you complete physics and orgo II, then apply for fall '12. Meaning, take the MCAT spring '11. Apply between June-October of that same year. Taking an extra year isn't a bad thing at all, actually it works in your favor. You can take this time to volunteer more, shadow doctors. Maybe travel or explore other interest you have other than science/medicine.
OoOBeautyMelOoO View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2009 at 11:55pm
OMG........I am a Pre-Med major tooo!!! I'm sooooo excited to see there are other ones tooo!! OMG, I go to a mostly white school soo I am the only black girl in most of my science class!!LOL I need you guys email or something....lol I love to hear about my fellow black women doing big things!! My major is Chemistry with the emphasis on BioChemistry!!
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2009 at 11:15am
ms pink- looks good to me, good luck

beautymel-whats your current classification?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2009 at 10:15pm
I'm a sophomore!!!Smile Or something like that....my major is chemistry with an emphasis in biochemistry!! I'm taking my organic chem now~~
incognitogagyrl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2009 at 5:51pm
when are you taking your maths, calc I and II.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2009 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by Ms. Pink Ms. Pink wrote:

Originally posted by OoOBeautyMelOoO OoOBeautyMelOoO wrote:

I'm a sophomore!!!Smile Or something like that....my major is chemistry with an emphasis in biochemistry!! I'm taking my organic chem now~~

Hows Orgo Chem ? When do you plan on taking the mcats?

OMG.....it is for real kicking my butt!! I just had a five hour lab class today!!  UGH, but I like it alot better than the gen chems!! When do you take your organic chemistry?? I'm taking a practice MCAT test next saturday! I have a friend who just retook the MCat, so I have been talking to her about what is on it!! I probably wont take my MCAT til next april! Still need to take my physics classes! WHat about yourself?

Edited by OoOBeautyMelOoO - Feb 04 2009 at 10:28pm
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2009 at 10:41am
i have an interview with boston med! march 28th...i can't wait!
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
  Share Topic