FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

any Africans who celebrate Kwanzaa?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
**Sk!TtLeS B** View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote **Sk!TtLeS B** Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 1:53am
I just remembered, my best friend's family celebrates Kwanzaa. They also celebrate Christmas and, since her step-dad is Jewish, Hanukkah. The holiday season is the sh*t at that their house.Clap
Sponsored Links

Naturalchick30 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naturalchick30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 4:27am
Originally posted by pattigurlatl pattigurlatl wrote:

Originally posted by JGCwayZeBaby JGCwayZeBaby wrote:

Originally posted by naturesgift naturesgift wrote:

Imo the only reason more Black people don't celebrate Kwanzza is because the white majority dont celebrate it. The article in the link you shared was just one womans view... the author failed to reconize that she is being excluded bmost of the time

I shared the article because it summed up my view on the holiday... I don't need a "black" alternative to Christmas... it's a religious holiday, heavily commercialized, but religious nonetheless and has nothing to do with race in my eyes. My education about Black/African history and culture is ongoing, I don't need a few days or a single month set aside to recognize where I come from. 
I could care less if white people started celebrating Kwanzaa by the masses, I still wouldn't. The founder of Kwanzaa wrote a book, The Quotable Karenga, and bashed Jesus/Christianity in it. No thanks. 
You do know that Christmas is not in the bible or any other religious or holy piece of literature.

But your thought process makes sense.

It's what kept slaves, slaves.

This
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 4:56am
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

It urks me when people equate Christianity with White Supremacy

I guess the Africans that followed Jesus Christ hundreds of years before the slave trade were just tools of the "massas" that hadn't yet existed Wacko

Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

Christmas has nothing to do with Jesus.
And it urks me how black folks hold on so tight to massa's religion.

Brotha what?
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 5:06am
She doesn't know.

nitabug View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitabug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 5:08am
I don't like Kwanzaa because it's too contrived, and you have to make everything.
newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 8:33am
I learned about it...in general in elementary school.  came home and tole my gramma.  she basically said that sh*t is witchcraft and she ain't bringin' the devil into her house.  *smh chuckling in remembrance*  i felt some type of way at the time tho.
JGCwayZeBaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGCwayZeBaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 11:37am
Originally posted by nycdiva357 nycdiva357 wrote:

Originally posted by JGCwayZeBaby JGCwayZeBaby wrote:

Originally posted by naturesgift naturesgift wrote:

Imo the only reason more Black people don't celebrate Kwanzza is because the white majority dont celebrate it. The article in the link you shared was just one womans view... the author failed to reconize that she is being excluded most of the time

I shared the article because it summed up my view on the holiday... I don't need a "black" alternative to Christmas... it's a religious holiday, heavily commercialized, but religious nonetheless and has nothing to do with race in my eyes. My education about Black/African history and culture is ongoing, I don't need a few days or a single month set aside to recognize where I come from. 
I could care less if white people started celebrating Kwanzaa by the masses, I still wouldn't. The founder of Kwanzaa wrote a book, The Quotable Karenga, and bashed Jesus/Christianity in it. No thanks. 

your first sentence is where the problem begins.

Kwanzaa is not supposed to be an alternative for anything. 
Many of the ppl that I know that celebrate it-- also celebrate Christmas.
There are not holidays that have to exist mutually exclusive of each other

When you light your candle for NIA--- the christmas police wont knock on your door and set fire to your house.

also the  -- I dont need a few days out a month to teach me about africa sentiment makes me laugh as well. Its like ppl who argue-- we dont need black history month-- i study my black history all 12 months... ermmmmmmmm again-- no one is saying you can only care about your culture for the week of kwanzaa.
I study my history all year long..having a week or a month wont put a damper in my life. No one shuts down my studies March 1st...or once the Imani candle burns out.
There is nothing wrong IMO about putting a little more emphasis on those special occassions. We hardly get any shine in this country to begin with...and to start shutting ppl down with nonsensical reasons is what i think ppl who most hate persons
that look like you and me-- want the most.

If you dont want to celebrate it--- sure.
but this reasoning ---and this is no shade to you specifically---is like a circle of fail to me- that I hear repeated all the time.

If you want to gloss over what Kwanzaa's very own founder himself created the holiday for then that's fine by me, it actually seems pleasant when you ignore the real roots. Ignorance is bliss, right? 
Black history month is important, I never said it put a damper on any aspect of my life. I just wish that we'd be recognized that way all throughout the year on a more regular basis.
I don't disagree with you in thinking that we can use all the positive recognition that we can get, but I didn't agree with the original fundamentals that Kwanzaa was founded on and that turned me off from the holiday completely. 
Christmas is a religious holiday in my eyes. I don't follow the bible to the letter, sue me.
I was raised in a Christian home where Christmas is celebrated and I enjoy it. If it's not a valid enough holiday for you then that's fine by me, we all have the right to believe what we choose. 
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 11:41am
sweetheart, you are been hypocritical
RedFoxx View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote RedFoxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 12:13pm
Kwanzaa is so late 80s early 90s...
JGCwayZeBaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGCwayZeBaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 1:32pm
I probably could have crafted a better argument but this is BHM.... I only post out of boredom LOL
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
  Share Topic