Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Another Home Decor Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 301302303304305 313>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 24 Votes, Average 3.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Rumbera View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rumbera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2013 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by Princess_S Princess_S wrote:

I think if the removes all the frames on the wall it would be easier on the eyes

exactly, you eyes just focuses on all the pretty clutter. A room especially bedroom should be relaxing not cause a panic attack. I like the idea
Sponsored Links

femmefatale85 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmefatale85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2013 at 1:59am

Design on a Dime: Our Kitchen (mini) Reno :-)How Green is Your Garden 2

Before and after

Hey divas :-)
Today I am coming to you with a little makeover.
Ever since my hubby and I moved into our home almost a year after our wedding, we have always known that there were some major renovations that would be necessary to make it feel more like us, than the previous owner (which was a widow that owned the property with her husband for over 30 years). They kept the building in excellent condition, but there was still a lot of work to be done.

As newlyweds, the last thing that you really want to do is undertake a huge renovation right away because of the stress and cost involved; for goodness sake you are still trying to recuperate from the cost of your wedding, so we were in no rush at all. We did basic things of course, like rip up the old burgundy carpet that made the space feel smaller than it was and slap on a few coats of fresh paint on the walls. My parents at that time underwent their own home renovation and purchased all new furniture, so we adopted some of their old furniture until we were ready to invest in our own and cultivate our joint design aesthetic. We knew it wasn’t our taste, but it was in good condition and it was FREE (lol)…hey,you can’t beat the price!

At that time, there were certain rooms that we tried to make as nice as possible on a shoestring budget; our bedroom and our living room (which has seen many changes since then…I’ll post on those later). The one place that we never really touched besides two coats of yellow paint that nearly drove me insane for almost 2 years was our kitchen. Our kitchen before was hideous, but in all honesty I didn’t feel the urgency to really do anything to it because we hardly ever used it…hey, don’t judge me! It wasn’t until the past year or so, that I really started to embrace the domestic diva inside of me. I wanted to start cooking more and experimenting more in the kitchen (thanks Food Network!), which meant that our kitchen would have to become a place that I felt comfortable and inspired in.

We knew our ideal configuration for what we wanted to do with our overall layout, but that would include removing walls and cost tens of thousands of dollars, so we decided that for now, we would work with a tighter budget and make it the best that we can until we are ready to undergo a more extreme makeover in the next year or two.

Kitchen mini reno Before and after

We started by setting our budget- $3000. It is not much at all when you think about kitchen makeovers, but since we knew that we would want to redo it again in a couple of years, we didn’t want to spend too much. I know you are thinking, why not just wait a few years and do the major makeover that you really want? Well, the point of this mini makeover was to inspire me to be more motivated in the kitchen right away, which I just couldn’t be in it’s prior state.

Kitchen Reno Before

Once we set our budget, I started to make a list of the most important things that would have to change in order for this mini makeover to work. First and foremost was the painfully yellow walls that drove me nuts! Then I wanted to change the layout just a little bit to make it a lot more functional. We also decided to change our floors from ceramic tile to match the rest of the wood floors in our other rooms. I normally don’t mind ceramic tiles in a kitchen, but for New York standards our kitchen is on the larger side (11.5 ft x 17 ft) and that was just too much surface area to be covered in tile for my liking.

DSC01543

We also decided to get all new cabinetry and counter tops. They are store bought and not custom, but why splurge on custom now when you know that you are going to change it in a couple of years? We wrestled with the idea of getting new stainless steal appliances even though we knew that it would blow our budget, but decided to save new appliance for the more extreme makeover, especially since all of our appliance are in good condition. Last but not least, I decided that if I was going to spend more time in the kitchen, then it needs to have a bit of glam, so we decided to splurge a little on mosaic glass tile for our back-splash.

Kitchen Reno Tile1

Because there were no real structural changes to the layout, we cut cost by using our handyman to do most of the work instead of a contractor.

Kitchen Reno Paint

Covering up that wretched yellow wall with a calming blue- Behr Ultra Premium in Cumberland Fog

Kitchen Reno Arch

Removing the ’90s arch and widening it an extra 10inches for a more open feel between the kitchen and living room

Kitchen Reno Cabinets

We decided to go with un-finished cabinets because I knew that I wanted to take the extra step and prime and paint all of the cabinets.I decided to choose one color from the mosaic back-splash and use it for my cabinets. A custom color match was created in a satin finish.

photo copy 23

Kitchen Reno Tile

Choosing the backsplash was so much fun for me. I literally spent a couple of hours up and down the tile aisle and finally decided on these. I wanted something to complement our blue walls, add a bit of glam, but also have a good balance between contemporary and warm and this mosaic tile did the trick.

Screen Shot 2013-06-14 at 4.08.40 PM

Because our kitchen is a bit wide there was a big empty space right in the center, so what better to fill that space than with an island? It’s visually more appealing than an empty space and also more functional. This Ikea island added additional prep space and a bit more storage for items that I use often.

Screen Shot 2013-06-14 at 4.16.25 PM

To assist in the contemporary feel we decided to add a new faucet to complement our back-splash. This faucet is definitely a statement piece. It was like adding earrings to complete an ensemble lol!

1IMG_2013

Decided to include a chalkboard accent wall. This wall is a lot more fun and functional that I thought it would be. I always request our guest to sign it and leave a little message before they go. It’s also super convenient when you need to right down a quick message or reminder.

kitchenreno2

This mini reno was a quick and relatively inexpensive solution to an immediately ugly problem. I am super pleased with our temporary fix…that is until it’s time to move forward with our major renovation that I am constantly dreaming about…stainless steal, double ovens, and new layout, oh my!

http://www.vivadivaglam.com/home/design-on-a-dime-our-kitchen-mini-reno/

afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2013 at 2:44am
^

I absolutely love chalkboard paint

Nice feature in the kitchen.,

Originally posted by foxyroy19 foxyroy19 wrote:

Originally posted by binky622 binky622 wrote:

Now that is a statement!  I wonder how often that rug would need to be repositioned throughout the day....hmmmm?

I think the animal hide thing is played out
Rumbera View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rumbera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2013 at 2:56pm
She did a good job with$3k
nycdiva357 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nycdiva357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2013 at 3:01pm
i honestly dont think i could have lived with her before kitchen.

when i was looking for somewhere to live.. i turned down so many places based on their kitchen alone.

my mommy was like bish "what are you bobby flay?" lol
but yeah kitchens mean the world to me.
they have to be the first room done -- anywhere i live.

she used the heck out of that 3000 tho. good for her!
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2013 at 5:56pm
saw this and thought of tc

http://www.fancy.com/things/226870060369580267/Fingerprint-Digital-Door-Lock-by-Samsung

Edited by afrokock - Jun 22 2013 at 5:56pm
Naturalchick30 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naturalchick30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2013 at 7:07pm
Naturalchick30 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naturalchick30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2013 at 7:09pm
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2013 at 10:15pm
saw that tile today at Lowes and wanted to vomit
i legit hate it
we decided on a marble backsplash
PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2013 at 7:45am
http://www.remodelaholic.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Canadian-House-Home-dining-with-purple-upholstery.jpg
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 301302303304305 313>
  Share Topic