Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Angelina Jolie reveals she had double mastectomy
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Angelina Jolie reveals she had double mastectomy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
bindy View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Angelina Jolie reveals she had double mastectomy
    Posted: May 14 2013 at 12:43am
Angelina Jolie reveals she had double mastectomy

Actress Angelina Jolie revealed in aNew York Timesop-ed on Tuesday that she quietly underwent a preventive double mastectomy after discovering she carried the BRCA1 gene, which sharply increases a woman's risk of developing breast cancer and ovarian cancer.

"My chances of developing breast cancer have dropped from 87% to under 5%," Jolie writes. "I can tell my children that they don't need to fear they will lose me to breast cancer."

She says she feels "empowered that I made a strong choice that in no way diminishes my femininity."

Jolie salutes her partner, Brad Pitt, who she says was with her during her surgeries at the Pink Lotus Breast Center.

"I am fortunate to have a partner, Brad Pitt, who is so loving and supportive," Jolie writes. "So to anyone who has a wife or girlfriend going through this, know that you are a very important part of the transition."

Jolie says she decided to share the story of her surgeries in the hopes that it will benefit other women at risk. She encourages women to be proactive about their health if they have a family history of breast or ovarian cancer, while acknowledging the cost of gene testing in the U.S. remains an obstacle for many.

"I choose not to keep my story private because there are many women who do not know that they might be living under the shadow of cancer," Jolie writes.

Jolie's mother, Marcheline Bertrand, died at age 56 after a nearly decade-long battle with ovarian cancer.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2013/05/14/angelina-jolie-double-mastectomy/2157403/

Edited by bindy - May 14 2013 at 12:46am
Sponsored Links

Bored w/Out Me? View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bored w/Out Me? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 12:46am
Wow
Meme0887 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meme0887 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 12:50am
I just heard about that test after watching 90210

I wonder how much it cost to get tested
ms_wonderland View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 12:52am
that's great.  i wish everyone could afford to do this.
f8dagrate View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote f8dagrate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 12:58am
Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

that wouldn't be the best word  to use for this situation. But man that must have been tough to go through the procedure and the results afterward.
Katrenia View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Katrenia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 12:59am
That's a bold preventive decision. 
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (15) Thanks(15)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 1:04am
Originally posted by f8dagrate f8dagrate wrote:

that wouldn't be the best word  to use for this situation. But man that must have been tough to go through the procedure and the results afterward.

i stand by that word...i think it's great that she was able to take this preventative measure because she has more than likely avoided the same fate of dying young like her mother and she has 6 children.  for example, chemotherapy isn't great but i'd say it's great when someone beats cancer. 

Edited by ms_wonderland - May 14 2013 at 1:04am
f8dagrate View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote f8dagrate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 1:07am

i stand by that word...i think it's great that she was able to take this preventative measure because she has more than likely avoided the same fate of dying young like her mother and she has 6 children.  for example, chemotherapy isn't great but i'd say it's great when someone beats cancer. 

I understand what you are trying to say, but great just doesn't seem fitting, e.g some one getting there leg amputated to prevent gangrene from destroying the rest of there body. You don't say " hey it's great that  your leg got amputated now you can live longerThumbs Up" LOL

Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 1:08am

I understand what you are trying to say, but great just doesn't seem fitting, e.g some one getting there leg amputated to prevent gangrene from destroying the rest of there body. You don't say " hey it's great that  your leg got amputated now you can live longerThumbs Up" LOL

LOL  i understand where you're coming from too but sh*t, i'd rather lose my breasts than my leg.
Midna View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 1:10am
Wow... What a drastic decision. But it's preventative so I understand. I'm not sure if I could cope with that. She is truly strong.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>