Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
AmandaKay View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: American Apparel wants nice hair
    Posted: Jun 11 2010 at 12:18pm
http://bglhonline.com/2010/06/well-aint-that-somethin-according-to-american-apparel-unstraightened-hair-is-nice-hair/

Image via Le Coil (amazing natural hair site!)

My, how a table has turned!

Gawker.com just ran a piece about American Apparel’s standards for its employees, looks wise. The article is interesting, but what caught my eye is what it said about black women…

Another former AA (American Apparel) manager says that she received the following instructions as to what kind of black girls she should try to hire during the company’s open calls:

“none of the trashy kind that come in, we don’t want that. we’re not trying to sell our clothes to them. try to find some of these classy black girls, with nice hair, you know?”

i will remember that forever, especially the “nice hair” part. he was instructing another manager and i on who to look for during an upcoming open call, and i sat there dumbfounded, listening to him speak while the other manager made “uh huh, got it” sounds on her end of the phone. the other manager on the call with me later became a district manager, and at one point instructed me to tell two of my employees (both of whom happened to be black females) to stop straightening their hair. i refused to do this, but wondered if the mentality behind her request was related to what dov had said.

This is blowing my mind just a little bit. Not in an ‘oh-this-is-so-great’ kinda way… but in a ‘what-in-the-??’ kinda way.

After blogging for 2 years, posting story after story of companies/educators/media personalities discriminating against kinks and curls, it is quite a paradigm shift to see that discrimination head in the other direction!

Of course, I do not condone American Apparel’s “looks policy”. Wrong is wrong — even when the benefits fall in my column. At the same time, we’ve discussed that emerging evidence (like the proliferation of natural haired commercial models and actresses like her, her, her and her) seems to point to the fact that mainstream media just might be starting to see natural hair the same way we do — as TOTALLY awesome!!!

At the end of the day, I don’t want to read too much into what the American Apparel manager said. I don’t know the backstory or why exactly he/she wanted the black female employees to stop straightening. But this is interesting nonetheless…

Edited by AmandaKay - Jun 11 2010 at 12:19pm
Sponsored Links

ElectricLady View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2010 at 12:31pm
*JAWDROP*

At this point, I'm desperate for a job! SIGN ME UP! *Pats my fro* Come on baby, get me this jerrrrb!
geisha!girl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2010 at 12:38pm
heyy i know the girl in the last pic, small world, wonder how Solange got her pic
Swift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2010 at 12:42pm
Wow, muy interesante!

Is it bad that I agree with not condoning the practice but I'm smiling really big on the inside?  It's more like "Finally, we get some respect!"  But I feel bad that it's on the heads of other sistas :( 

Where I grew up, the only sistas I ever saw rocking natural hair were either college students, professors or professional women.  I wonder if that's common and if the strereotype stems from that...
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2010 at 12:50pm
Like I said downstairs, AA was created and is run by a perverted drug addict who treats his factory workers like slaves and sexually harasses the employees in his stores.

I won't even step foot in that store.
minaj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2010 at 12:55pm
WOW!!!!!!!
Swift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2010 at 12:56pm
Maysay-

That, I did NOT know...
RoxieDream View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2010 at 12:58pm
We stay winning Big%20smile but ITA with Swifty .... it's kinda bad that it's at relaxed heads expenses. then again, i don't feel bad once i think about the times i've been told my hair doesn't look good or i need to do something with (especially when they suggest a relaxer)

But i think people need to adopt a "we're going to take you as you are as long as your presentable" policy instead of straight v. nappy \ good v. bad
RoxieDream View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2010 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

Like I said downstairs, AA was created and is run by a perverted drug addict who treats his factory workers like slaves and sexually harasses the employees in his stores.

I won't even step foot in that store.

wow ....
geisha!girl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2010 at 1:04pm
im lost soo do they want curly fros or wraps, i didnt hink it was relaxed natural thing Confused
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic