BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Amber Riley Cries @ H'weird weight pressures

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 27>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 2.75  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
BoutThatLife View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BoutThatLife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amber Riley Cries @ H'weird weight pressures
    Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 10:25pm

Glee star Amber Riley, who plays the confident Mercedes on the Fox hit, broke down in tears as she admitted her struggles with her body image as a Hollywood actress.

In an honest and moving interview for the MTV series This Is How I Made It, the actress, who is currently making her Broadway debut in Cotton Club Parade revealed how the pressure to be thin has taken its toll.

The 26-year-old, size 16, actress said: 'Hollywood is a very hard place to be in. It really is. Being the person I am, you know, the size I am, being a woman, being a black woman, there's not a lot of roles for us.

'After I did St Sass, I kept on auditioning. I was being offered the girl who sits in the corner and eats all day, the girl who committed suicide because she was fat,' she continued.

'I never wanted to play a character that hated herself. I wanted people to know that those aren't the only roles for people like me, normal girls.'

It took 14 years of battling with her body image for Miss Riley to finally get her dream yes.

'Going to the auditions and having the casting director say you need to loose a little weight, I didn't understand why people couldn't accept me for who I was. And the rejection started wearing on my self-esteem,' she said.

'I'm not going to conform, and hurt myself, and do something crazy to be a size 2,' she explained.

'My parents always instilled knowing that your beautiful, that your fearfully and wonderfully made, and that you know who you are.'

Even so, the slightly-unsure-of-herself five-foot-two-inch star went through multiple weight fluctuations while growing up in La Mirada, California.

Ultimately, however, she said: 'I'm a healthy person. have great friends around me that are positive.

'That's the key to life, is make your own path, set your own rules. There is no set rule, no set look, no set anything, you make your own rules in life, and your own decisions.'

Sponsored Links

jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (20) Thanks(20)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 10:26pm
She's a size 16?

Oh she's 5'2.

I hate when ppl say they don't want to be a size two.
You don't have to be a size two Riley but getting off some off that weight would work wonders.

She has the means .
I like her though, the few times I've watched Glee

Edited by jonesable - Nov 20 2012 at 10:28pm
babyk94 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote babyk94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 10:28pm
I love her!
OrriannaRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OrriannaRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 10:28pm
How tall is she?
Nvm.

Edited by OrriannaRose - Nov 20 2012 at 10:29pm
FarraFace View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote FarraFace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 10:32pm
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (9) Thanks(9)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 10:34pm
82% Black American women are overweight or obese

SMH @ those roles they offered her but she could stand to lose a few pounds and be a role model for the masses
That statistic is just sad

However, it's not like should would get better roles even if she did lose weight. I'm glad she has tough skin though, she knew what Hollywood was before she entered it
jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 10:35pm
Lol yeah I was about to say, even if she lost weight it's not like there are roles raining down.
**Sk!TtLeS B** View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (15) Thanks(15)   Quote **Sk!TtLeS B** Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

SMH @ those roles they offered her but she could stand to lose a few pounds and be a role model for the masses

Her losing weight will somehow inspire millions of women to do so as well? Monique lost weight and women are still fat. 
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 10:37pm
Monique is older

Edited by Alias_Avi - Nov 20 2012 at 10:38pm
**Sk!TtLeS B** View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote **Sk!TtLeS B** Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 10:38pm
There are still fat older women. 
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 27>