Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Amazing Black Women News Presents:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Diane (35) View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Diane (35) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amazing Black Women News Presents:
    Posted: Jul 11 2014 at 11:20am

SHE was recently recognised as the leading young female chemist in Latin America and the Caribbean; holds two masters degrees and a doctorate; was named the Young Scientist of the Year in Jamaica in 2011; and has several other awards to boast about, but though noteworthy, Dr Simone Badal-McCreath believes her greatest achievement to date is having a good character.

The 32-year-old believes she has her father and her Christian upbringing to thank for this and feels her tenacity to be her best self has spilled over into her professional and academic life. Now in the middle of her research aimed at developing drugs to treat cancer, managing a lab and lecturing, she is penning her first book A woman's journey to success.

"It redefines success as we know it, not meaning success in terms of achievement, but being at a place that is divinely designed," she said. "It's achieving what God has ordained for you to achieve, even if you were supposed to sweep the floor, you do it to the best of your ability and realise that in sweeping the floor, you are making an environment clean."

Dr Badal-McCreath has no doubt that her journey to becoming a top-ranked scientist was divinely ordained. Her intention throughout high school was to become a doctor, but then she was unable to do physics in CXC and decided to apply to do pure and applied sciences at the University of the West Indies (UWI) first in order to matriculate into medicine. However, she had a change of heart once she realised how much she loved bio-chemistry.

"Every door was just opened to where I wanted to go. It was not like I was sitting down one day and I said, 'Oh well now, I want to do sciences'. It just happened," she said.

"I am in love with what I do. I don't dread waking up in the morning thinking 'O my God, I have to go to the lab'. It's something I look forward to," she told All Woman.

It's quite a lot that the petite scientist has on her plate, but she has been tackling them in strides. Currently, she is responsible for managing a recently completed cell culture lab at the UWI Natural Products Institute and also lectures part-time at the University of Technology. Her primary interest now lies in screening Jamaican plant isolates that potentially hold properties to treat cancer which is among the leading causes of death in Jamaica. She is also working with a group of experts to create a novel Jamaican cancer cell line, since the Caucasian cell line is what is being mostly used for testing.StarStarStarStarStarStarStar

Her work in cancer research has been documented in local and international publications and it was based on her achievement in these areas that she was nominated and selected as one of five women worldwide to receive the Elsevier Foundation Award for Early Career Scientists in the Developing World on February 15. The award is presented by the World Academy of Sciences and the Organisation for Women in Science for the Developing World to women representing five regions -- Central and South Asia, East and South-East Asia and the Pacific, the Arab region, Sub-Saharan Africa and Latin America and the Caribbean, which Dr Badal-McCreath claimed.

Although the lack of funding to finance research continues to be a roadblock in the journey to progress, Dr Badal-McCreath said she was elated at winning the award.

"It is challenging in terms of the time and the tiredness, but when I won this award and I told my students, you should have seen their eyes, it brought so much motivation to me," she said.

Other awards Dr Badal-McCreath has won over the years include the Scientific Research Council Young Scientist of the Year award for 2011 as well as the Luther G Speare Memorial Scholarship in 2010. This scholarship was used to undertake her PhD work in biochemistry entitled "Screening for anticancer and chemo-protective properties of natural and synthetic compounds" at UWI.

Dr Badal-McCreath does not intend for her research to just stay in the lab. She hopes they will become commercial products and achieve the intended results. As such, she spent a year at the London School of Commerce so she could achieve a master of business administration from the University of Wales. She also has a master of philosophy from UWI.

"The main reason why I chose to do the MBA was I wanted to be able to market my science. I wanted to be diversified. I see that a lot of scientists at UWI, a part of their struggles in transitioning their results on the market is their lack of business mind or savviness for want of a better word. I don't like to start things and don't complete it and so for me, if I do research, the ultimate destiny is to see that making money or building my society," she said.

During her stay in London, Dr Badal-McCreath held down two jobs so she could finance her studies. During the week she was the administrative assistant at the college and on weekends, she worked at a post office filing mail.

"It was very mundane and you had to be standing on your feet for hours and hours and you only got like half an hour break to get to the bathroom and then you had to come back, so for me that was not enjoyment at all, but it was survival," said the young scientist.

Upon completing her MBA, she was accepted at the Cambridge University to pursue her doctorate, but feeling homesick and wanting to be back in Jamaica with her family, she did not pursue this opportunity. Instead she was convinced by one of her mentors and fellow scientists Dr Rupika Delgoda to pursue her doctorate at UWI and train undergraduate and post graduate students at the Natural Products Institute.

Although she is focused on becoming a pioneer in cancer treatment, Dr Badal-McCreath finds that being a wife is one of her most fulfilling roles. She enjoys spending as much time as possible with her husband of six years who is now completing his first degree in business at UWI. More than anything else, she loves going to the movies, relaxing in front of the TV, entertaining friends and preparing dinner.

"I am a believer that a woman should take care of her husband and I am a believer that a husband should take care of his wife as well, but I am also a perfectionist in that I don't just strive to do science or work well, but if I am cooking, my food should taste the best," she said.

Although she describes her husband as her gem, Dr Badal-McCreath still holds a special bond with her father who along with her stepmother raised her. There are also several other persons who she credits for her achievement as a young scientist, including her friends who help to keep her grounded.

"Outside of work, I think I am a wealthy person, because I have people in my life that I consider gems and are priceless," she said.

Sponsored Links

Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2014 at 11:24am
Lol @ you making homesick big as hell.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Diane (35) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2014 at 11:25am
She was my demonstrator (lab assistant/tutor she helped undergrads kids while doing her master's) at undergrad. I'd  go pick up my plate and she'd have to say, "uhmm diane we gave you a cream coloured round strain why is yours purple with green stripes and rectangular?" Very sweet always encouraging, humble, short and smart nuh backside.

I actually liked biochem though, plus they had air-conditoned labsBig smile

Edited by Diane (35) - Jul 11 2014 at 11:49am
bindy View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2014 at 11:26am
Clap
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane (35) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2014 at 11:26am
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

Lol @ you making homesick big as hell.

ExactlyWinkWinkWinkWink
Lady ICE View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lady ICE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2014 at 11:27am
Heart yes girlClap
rickysrose View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2014 at 11:27am
welcome news with all of the tomfoolery happening 

She's highly educated, successful, well grounded and has strong family ties... a true role model
rohan View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote rohan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2014 at 11:38am
Dope! We need more black women in Stem, so this makes her success even more awesome.
leftywefty View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote leftywefty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2014 at 11:45am
32 yrs old with 2 masters and a phd!??! damn.
goodm3 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote goodm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2014 at 12:47pm
Kudos to her....

And I like that she is balanced....
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon