Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedAm I My Natural Sisters Keeper?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
Sinnamon_Mami View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Am I My Natural Sisters Keeper?
    Posted: Apr 05 2010 at 8:32pm
Chrisette Michelle Shaves Her Head..
SAT, APR 03 2010 BY NECOLE BITCHIE | FILED UNDER: BITCHIE CHICKS, CELEBRITIES

R&B Singer Chrisette Michelle is the latest celebrity to shave her head. After a recent show at Albany State University, she explained her decision to chop it all off:

“I was tired of black sista’s feeling subject to having their hair pressed and straightened, and damaged, with relaxers, and heat. So I wanted to make short and nappy hair fashionable, and let the industry know that there is nothing wrong with the texture that we have been born with. So I plan to grow it out to the big beautiful nappy hair that I have.”

Now, I have been where she was two years ago and I will admit, working in corporate america, I've been feeling the pressure to straighten my hair again: I even have to admit I like the silkiness of my hair straightened but this article snapped me back into reality: when I took those clippers to my shoulder length hair, I made that same statement: I was tired of the idea of beauty pushed upon me... I wanted to be happy and nappy... Sporting my hair I felt naked and proud and like I could conquer anything.. but I also felt alone...... My husband likes my hair straight, and so do most men....... Women adore the rebellion...... I love this section and I feel that now that I've heat straightened my hair (although it didn't change my texture) am I being my sisters keeper??? Thoughts?? I know this is not a secret society but somehow I feel a little pang in my gut like I'm letting my sisters down
Sponsored Links

AllyOrNotAlly View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2010 at 8:37pm
If you feel like you're letting them down then maybe you are. You're not letting me down though.
CincygirlD View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2010 at 8:45pm
I don't feel like you're letting anyone down. I didn't go natural becuase I wanted to wear a fro, I chose to do so because I was tired of the chemicals. Just so happens, I like my napps (most of the time)
If you want to wear your hair straight, do it, you still don't have the harmful chemicals in it. You rep natural no matter what style you have it in (to me) because you are natural
RoxieDream View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2010 at 8:46pm
i love that woman .... now i must go read this

Edited by RoxieDream - Apr 05 2010 at 8:45pm
RoxieDream View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2010 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by CincygirlD CincygirlD wrote:

I don't feel like you're letting anyone down. I didn't go natural becuase I wanted to wear a fro, I chose to do so because I was tired of the chemicals. Just so happens, I like my napps (most of the time)
If you want to wear your hair straight, do it, you still don't have the harmful chemicals in it. You rep natural no matter what style you have it in (to me) because you are natural

Star
MissCassC View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2010 at 9:10pm
Do what makes you happy.
Hotlanta Peach View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2010 at 9:36pm
i dont think so.

naturals have the best of both worlds. we can be so versatile...straight one day kinky curly wavy the next.  where your hair str8 for hubby sometimes and curly for yourself other times. we all have different reasons for going natural. the most important thing is showing off what God gave us...out unique head of hair.
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2010 at 9:42pm
Ugh. I wrote a post and it disappeared.

Basically, do what makes you happy and comfortable.

Do I feel I'm my sisters keeper? Yes. Does that change because of my hairstyle? Absolutely not.

Part of "representing" for the natural side is wearing natural hair, obviously. But that's just one part of it. I make an active choice to be a positive and vocal supporter of natural hair every chance I get. Why? Because black people denigrate natural hair almost every chance they can get. So I bring the positivity, support, and correct their mistaken assumptions. I'm still my sister's keeper, even though right now I wear wigs everyday.

So, wear your hair in whatever hairstyle makes you happy. If being a straightened natural is making you feel not quite right for whatever reason, then examine why. But you're still your sister's keeper as long as you're still supporting natural hair...and that's what matters.
ac22ford View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2010 at 9:45pm
Clap For Chrissette! She looks beautiful!

ITA w/every word!!
globerry View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2010 at 10:03pm

ITA w/cincy
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic