BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Weaves / Extensions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Am I being too sensitive ?

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
Mznellybby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mznellybby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Am I being too sensitive ?
    Posted: Dec 27 2013 at 3:07am
I'm posting here because I really want to hear my fellow weave heads opinion

So I'm new to this forum but I love the community from what I've seen thus far.

i started my hair journey a year and a half ago, because even though I had thick hair it never really grew past shoulder length. Now my hair grows fast but due to me being uneducated about my hair type and how to retain length, it would result in breakage and split ends. When I decided to grow my hair out I took to YouTube and hair forums to map out a plan to do that.

Before this I was a weave fanatic!! Lol You couldn't tell me nothing about my weave. When I started this journey I made myself a promise no weaves for the first year. My reasoning behind this was simple after years of abuse and negligence I wanted to give my hair the TLC it deserved and I wanted to familiarize myself with my hair.And healthy hair practices, IE M&S daily, protective styling, correcting its moisture and protein balance etc. My hair flourished and soon passed SL and approached APL. (Proud mommy moment)

Fast forward a year and a half , my hair is approaching BSL. I am very proud of my accomplishment it wasn't easy and took a lot of mental training to break free from those bad habits but my current dilemma is my family. since I've started back wearing weaves as my desired Protective style they've been giving me grief

They don't understand why I'm wearing weaves when my "hair is so long". Personally I don't think my hair is long and I like the versatility that weaves allows me. Just recently I did an amazing pink and purple ombr√© for the summer , that's not something I would never ever do with my real hair. I just trying to think of a way to tell my mom and my aunt to back off and let me live without being rude.     

Even my hair dresser complains about my hair being too long and thick for weaves She even went so far as to say the next time I come in she wasn't going to weave my hair which kind of annoyed me....
Sponsored Links

MsBMW View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsBMW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2013 at 6:51am
Personally I do not think you are being to sensitive..I get irritated by the same comments very annoying but I ignore them...Continue to wear your weaves but make sure you take care of your real hair...I think your hairdresser went to far with the comment..I hope she was joking if not I would just find another stylist to do my installs. 

Congrats on your growthThumbs Up
ms.blue View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ms.blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2013 at 7:35am
As long as you know why you are wearing weaves is that matters. Weaves to you is a means to protect your hair from daily abuse (mechanical and environmental) which will allow you to retain the growth you are achieving.   To sum it up....you shouldn't give their opinions too much thought.
Princess Grace View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Princess Grace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2013 at 4:12pm
You are not sensitive, people just offering opinions on stuff that at the end of the day really don't concern them. I had to leave my other stylist alone with her healing hands azz natural hair care journey self. When she told me this was the last time she was doing weave for me that was the last time I sat my tail in her chair.

My mouth is pretty snappy so most people that know me don't offer unsolicited advice, I will raise my brow and give them a blank stare then walk away. I don't even respond, which could explain why I only have three friends but I digress.
solena View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2013 at 7:04pm
no you are not! there will always be someone who has an issue with what you choose to do to your hair my advice to you is to ignore it and find a new hairdresser. eventually those snide remarks will turn into desperate cries for help.
mizzsandra00 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mizzsandra00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 11:38am
Unless they are financing your hair styles they can hush....and your stylist is silly.....shoot weaves cost more than a press and curl
Mznellybby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mznellybby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 30 2013 at 11:43am
Thanks guys for the advice I'm glad to see I'm not being completely unreasonable and overly sensitive, I'm looking into a wig partially because my hairdresser pissed me off and I don't want to put coins into her pockets... they don't finance me at all. I'm not living above my means not am I stretching my pockets where it can't reach.

Lol I relaxed my hair on the 23rd and they saw it at a family Christmas function, (roll eyes) the oohs and aaahs and then the touching and hair twirling begun I literally cringe inside. I had to tell them don't touch my hair and I threw it in a bun quick. My cousin made an off handed comment about me showing off, I just took a deep breath smiled and brushed it off. But in my head I'm screaming do I look like a flipping Barbie doll? My hair is not a toy
TokyoRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TokyoRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 02 2014 at 7:45pm
No, you were not being over-sensitive.  I've had a couple of hair stylists tell me that I don't "need" weave because I am at BSL.  Well, if it weren't for weaves, I wouldn't HAVE BSL hair!  Some people can really be ignorant.  Plain and simple.

I also don't like people touching my hair, which is why I throw it up in a bun and let people think I don't have any damn hair.
ragincajin View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ragincajin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 02 2014 at 8:04pm
Nah...you're not being overly sensitive.

What you have here is a failure to communicate. Next time it happens, say something like this:

" There are so many stylists around, but I like coming to you. You understand me and my hair. I can relax in your chair with no annoying questions like 'Why do you want your hair done?'"

You'll never here that question for your stylist's mouth again because is she's smart, she won't want the money to leave the room never to return.
Think on it.

Edited by ragincajin - Jan 02 2014 at 8:10pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists