BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Am I being completely unreasonable?

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TokyoRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TokyoRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Am I being completely unreasonable?
    Posted: Nov 21 2013 at 5:24am

As some of you know, I work at an elementary school in Japan.  We have an immersion program and this year they implemented an ESL component that I designed to fit into it.  The ESL students have to meet the same objectives as the regular immersion students of the lower level.

Last term, "Veronica," comes to me at the end of the term, a week before report cards were due to ask if I could change some of the objectives.  I had sent out an outline and all materials at the beginning of the term.  I was like WTF?  She runs to the head teacher and complains. 

Last month, she has just come back from maternity leave.  I had made provisions in the term objectives so that the transition would be as painless as possible.  Another teacher decides to quit so she has to cover his classes and the sub has to take over her English class.  The sub is not a native speaker.  Once again, I had sent out all the materials and the semester objectives at the beginning of the term.  For this particular project, she screwed it up at the beginning because she didn't follow directions.  She claims the ESL teacher is way behind, so I need to change the objectives.

The ESL program is not the priority.  They must follow whatever we do.

I tell her NO.  This project must be included.  It's in the curriculum.  I suggest she just picks it up when we get back from break.  She didn't want to do that.  She didn't even want to make adjustments in her grading to fit what I had laid out.  She claims it isn't fair to her kids...but is it fair to mine, who are making an effort to finish their work on time?

So I am sitting here completely baffled, wondering if I am a complete a-hole in all of this.
Sponsored Links

tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2013 at 6:08am
there are always people at jobs like that.  she doesnt like change and wants to have things her way.  you should stay the course for now and see if changes are needed to be made afterward based on those who put in the effort not based on those who didnt.
QueenBee View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QueenBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2013 at 11:13am
I'm confused as to why sure why she can't make her own amendments to the objectives so that they fit her class and their style of learning.  

Ex:  Your objective is students will be able to recognize and write numbers 1 to 10 in English.  Being that her students are behind, she needs to change the objective to students will be able to recognize and write numbers 1 to 5 in English. 
QueenBee View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QueenBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2013 at 11:14am
Also, is the sub teaching ESL?  If so, does the sub speak English fluently.
patternsandtexture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patternsandtexture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2013 at 11:46am
No, you are correct and she sounds resistant to something that would benefit her.

Also, do you speak Nihongo fluently?
TokyoRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TokyoRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2013 at 3:51pm
The sub does not speak English fluently and is very under confident. The sub is teaching the regular immersion class. The ESL teacher is nowhere near where we are in terms if following the semester outline. I honestly feel that "Veronica" could have simplified the material herself and changed her grading scale to fit the report card objectives. I am constantly doing her work for her because she doesn't have the common sense or the foresight to plan for disasters, so to speak. It literally took me 5 minutes to make the worksheet she bellyached over. She insisted that the ESL teacher would benefit from it, too, but it's the ESL teacher's job to modify the materials.
TokyoRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TokyoRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2013 at 3:53pm
My Japanesr is okay. I understand everything, but verbal replies can be really difficult at times. I am also learning Korean, so all of these languages are really screwing around with my brain!
Ladybird0724 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Ladybird0724 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2013 at 4:36pm
no.

if you are the point person that designed the program, sent her the objectives way in advance, she cannot reasonably expect you to change it.. esp. after you took her maternity leave into consideration.

veronica had time to look at all the materials and come to you with any questions. she chose not to. she cannot expect everything to revolve around her

jmo
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply