FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Alternative way to maintain length?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
momentoindigo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momentoindigo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2013 at 11:51am
what does braiding it with ribbon do? heck i wish i got just ssk's. Those are small. I get dread locs/balls lol. 
Sponsored Links

tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2013 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by momentoindigo momentoindigo wrote:

what does braiding it with ribbon do? heck i wish i got just ssk's. Those are small. I get dread locs/balls lol. 

i just wrote a long as response and forgot to copy it.Angry
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2013 at 12:18pm
quick version: the ribbon just gives the ends something to wrap around instead of them wrapping around other strands.

my hair also locs but i noticed it had a lot to do with how i combined products.  if i mix a creamy products with a gel my hair will for loc with in days.  so i dont ever mix the two, no matter what hair style creamy and gel does not work for me.
SweetNovember* View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SweetNovember* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2013 at 12:28pm
I never knew megatek was for horses. I'd heard of it in the natural hair community but I'd never seen it. I thought it was something like ORS Temple Balm. Wow.
darkvalkyrie123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkvalkyrie123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2013 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

i have fine hair that breaks easily, a slow grower and still dealing with two textures.  what keeps the hair on my head is the fact that i dont comb it very often.  at one point i got tired of it and chilled.  the only time i pick up a comb is on wash day, not rinse day or spritz day or moisturize day, just wash day.  lately, since of been using products that dont cause a lot of build up, my wash days are becoming farther and farther apart.

This is true. I've been doing this too and this has helped me quite a bit. I've also found the hard way that I cant leave it "loose" to do buns either because they do start loc-ing so I always firmly braid my hair first before I twist it in 2 buns. I also never go more than a week without using a comb for fear that it will start loc-ing too. I can't go more than a week between washes anyway since I work out so much during the week, and in-between washes I tend to rinse my scalp quickly without undoing the braids if its sweaty.

Forgot to add: I do periodically re-do my braids during the week since they do become a bit messy. When I do that, I quickly look at my hair to see if I need to lightly finger detangle some sections if they seem to be loc-ing. I think if you wear braidouts during the day, then at night you should check your hair to see if it needs to be lightly finger detangled before braiding for the night. Then you can stick to using the comb only on the days you wash.

Edited by darkvalkyrie123 - Mar 27 2013 at 1:46pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momentoindigo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2013 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

quick version: the ribbon just gives the ends something to wrap around instead of them wrapping around other strands.

my hair also locs but i noticed it had a lot to do with how i combined products.  if i mix a creamy products with a gel my hair will for loc with in days.  so i dont ever mix the two, no matter what hair style creamy and gel does not work for me.

i use the sealants for gel and smoothing now instead of gel. gel just wasn't fitting into my loc method/moisturize and seal correctly. caused build up. i sort of stopped doing styles that required super smoothing and brushing to lay down. a mess to take down and lots of tangling toward the base of my pony where the hair band lays for sleek buns/ponytails etc.
WarriorGurl233 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarriorGurl233 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2013 at 8:36am
Here are some things I do to keep tangles down. I have a mixture of fine and normal strands, and I only wash and detangle weekly.

1) I shampoo and detangle in sections. This helps me have more control over my hair so that strands don't loop together and stuff. LOL

2) I keep my hair stretched. I braid or curlform, then I put in hair in a protective style (usually a bun or some updo). Keeping it stretched makes wash day so much quicker.

3) If I wear my hair out, I try to keep my hair lubricated throughout the week with oils. I distribute a teenie tiny bit through my strands (EVOO or vatika oil). Water based moisturizers cause my hair to start to shrivel and tangle, so I avoid them and just use oils. I never have an issue with dryness mid-week. By the time my hair is feeling dry, its time to wash and DC. My leave-in on wash day has been sufficient. If I used a water-based moisturizer, I would make sure I braided it up to keep it stretched.

This is what works for me. Maybe it can help you too. Tongue

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momentoindigo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2013 at 11:10am
sounds sort of like the regimen i have been doing the past week. ill probably use my shea butter glycerin mix instead though. oil on my dry hair makes my hair brittle and break from sealing in that dryness with no moisture. or i might just use moisturizer underneath. mine doesn't shrivel up too bad and i braid it right after i moisturize and seal anyways.

good info, good info.

the only thing i hate about washing and conditioning in sections is that i feel like i don't do as good a job trying not to overlap certain sections or get the sections tangled when lathering so i sort of feel like all my parted areas are dirtier than they could be. have to perfect my methods.
Catrice26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catrice26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2013 at 8:57am
i find that when i detangle on soaking wet hair i get more breakage. Instead I have been slathering my hair in conditioner, then detangling, and shampooing. i get way less breakage that way. And at night i put my hair in a about 10 twist to keep it from tangling back up. I also only finger detangle during the week, until wash day. I also spray my hair with a glyecerin mix and maybe use a light cream whenfinger detangling during the week

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momentoindigo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2013 at 10:15am
U put conditioner on dry hair?
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123