Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Products > Shampoo & Conditioners
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedalternative to Keracare Humecto?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Hair ViVi

Author
NinaS View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Topic: alternative to Keracare Humecto?
    Posted: Jan 17 2008 at 10:01pm

Here's the problem

-I like to use salon quality products and I don't have access to the high-end salon lines for black hair because of where I live. Which means I have to make some adjustments. Do you know of any product in the ''white'' product lines that would equal the moisturizing power of Keracare Humecto ? (don't say Nexxus, I can't find it in my town - as for Cream of Nature, which I can find, I don't like cause it leaves residue on my hair)

-Same thing for Aphogee (are protein treatment that white folks use strong enough for our hair)? Say Biolage, Redken etc...

Sponsored Links

bellecheveux View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2008 at 11:28pm
Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose.. Why does it have to be "white"?
Champagne_Wishe View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 20 2008 at 12:22am
Originally posted by bellecheveux bellecheveux wrote:

I believe she meant mainstream and it is probably cost-prohibitive to purchase hair products more suited for her hair type.  

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 20 2008 at 12:31am
Originally posted by NinaS NinaS wrote:

Here's the problem

-I like to use salon quality products and I don't have access to the high-end salon lines for black hair because of where I live. Which means I have to make some adjustments. Do you know of any product in the ''white'' product lines that would equal the moisturizing power of Keracare Humecto ? (don't say Nexxus, I can't find it in my town - as for Cream of Nature, which I can find, I don't like cause it leaves residue on my hair)

-Same thing for Aphogee (are protein treatment that white folks use strong enough for our hair)? Say Biolage, Redken etc...

Moisturizing conditioner that also detangles?  Hmmm I would have to go with Kenra Moisturizing conditioner or to a lesser extent Biolage Ultra Hydrating Balm.  I haven't tried Redken All Soft or Smooth Down but they usually carry the trial sizes at Ulta.  You can try the Joico moisturizing line.  Please try the trial size or the smallest available.

As for Aphogee, hands down Biolustre.  But that is hard to find.  So what's left is Sebastian Penetraitt, Joico K-Pak, Sebastian 2 in 1, Paul Mitchell Super Strong treatment (not the conditioner), etc.  Hope this helps.
NinaS View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 20 2008 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by Champagne_Wishe Champagne_Wishe wrote:

Originally posted by bellecheveux bellecheveux wrote:

I believe she meant mainstream and it is probably cost-prohibitive to purchase hair products more suited for her hair type.  

Thanks for clarifying. That's exactly what I meant. I would have had to buy Humecto, Aphogee, Kenra or Nexxus from a US Web site and it's at least 32$ just for the shipping of 2 products! It's easier for me to get my hands on the mainstream stuff. The products that I can find here that are advertised for my hair type all have mineral oil and other no-no's. The selection is limited. I saw Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose at the store today, so I'll get that.

Thanks for all the moisturizing conditioner suggestions, Champagne Wishes. I'll be able to find those.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2008 at 10:06am
No problem NinaS.  Off topic, I thought the Loonie was on parity or about the US dollar so it would be somewhat cheaper to purchase hair products for your hair type.
NinaS View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2008 at 12:22pm

No problem NinaS.  Off topic, I thought the Loonie was on parity or about the US dollar so it would be somewhat cheaper to purchase hair products for your hair type.

That's true. Today, $1 CAN equals 0.99 cents US. However, they get you in the shipping costs and sometimes, the customs costs.
Not that long ago, I tried AMAZON.COM and SEPHORA.COM to purchase 2 or 3 products (I think it was Aphogee, Keracare Humecto and something else). The bill came up to 37 dollars US. However, when I clicked on ''Checkout'', the shipping costs alone were 32 $ which brought my bill up to 69$! Almost double the amount (there's a flat fee + additional fee per weight). So I cancelled the order. And then, if you're unlucky, they'll hold it at customs so that when it's finally delivered, you have to go pick it up at the post office and pay an additional customs fee.

These days, I've been trying all sorts of stuff from reading this forum (Cathy Howse books and products (great), Phytospecific (good), essential oils, cheap conditioners when I tried my hand at co-washing, etc...) and I spent a lot of money already. Trial and error Confused. I'm still trying to build a solid regimen that will work for me.

Edited by NinaS - Jan 21 2008 at 12:33pm

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2008 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by NinaS NinaS wrote:

That's true. Today, $1 CAN equals 0.99 cents US. However, they get you in the shipping costs and sometimes, the customs costs.
Not that long ago, I tried AMAZON.COM and SEPHORA.COM to purchase 2 or 3 products (I think it was Aphogee, Keracare Humecto and something else). The bill came up to 37 dollars US. However, when I clicked on ''Checkout'', the shipping costs alone were 32 $ which brought my bill up to 69$! Almost double the amount (there's a flat fee + additional fee per weight). So I cancelled the order. And then, if you're unlucky, they'll hold it at customs so that when it's finally delivered, you have to go pick it up at the post office and pay an additional customs fee.

These days, I've been trying all sorts of stuff from reading this forum (Cathy Howse books and products (great), Phytospecific (good), essential oils, cheap conditioners when I tried my hand at co-washing, etc...) and I spent a lot of money already. Trial and error Confused. I'm still trying to build a solid regimen that will work for me.

Ah I see your predicament.Just a word to the wise, don't get caught up in the mad rush to purchase all of these latest and greatest products.  Also keep a record, written or mental, of what works for your hair and what doesn't and try to find the common denominator ingredient that your hair likes and doesn't like.
SuperNova View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2008 at 1:07pm

I don't have any suggestions, But I would say if you can get the ingredients from the Keracare and take them with you when you go to the store and just take a while and look at anything that is labled as moisturizing and then compare the ingredients.  Pay close attention to the top 5 ingredients and watch out for sulfates, and cones.

NinaS View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2008 at 1:33pm

I know what you mean. It's very hard, though. I'm trying to find one good item in each of the ''must haves'' by going over the forum and picking out the stuff that is mentioned the most often. And I got rid of all the stuff I already had that had mineral oil and petroleum (all my Motions). But I still end up making mistakes because nobody's hair reacts the same way. For example, my hair hates co-washing even though it's a godsend for a lot of ladies (so I had to put away the cheap cond. that I bought specifically for that). I bought Cream of Nature moisturizing cond. that works for so many because I could find it, but my hair is not crazy about it either. However I found two items that will be my staples from now on : Ultra Black Hair lotion creme Moisturizer and Phytospecific vital force cream bath. So what's left is a good moisturizing deep conditioner and a strong protein treatment. So it's all about finding the basic regimen and then, sticking to it... The good thing about this forum is that  I learned a lot about what NOT to do, so I'm unlearning bad hair practices. Once I find those 2 staple products that are missing, I'll be good! Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it!

Edited by NinaS - Jan 21 2008 at 1:44pm
Hair ViVi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic