Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedAlternative Lifestyle Choices/Philosophies...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 11 Votes, Average 4.27  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by Organic Organic wrote:

Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

Organic, when I find my mate I'm totally having a huge party. I'm not going to call it a wedding. But still having a party nonetheless.

My sister's fiance is from pakistan so she's having one of those weddings in the summer. I'm so excited because I know they're gonna go all out. I already have my material to get a sari or a salwar kameez made.

The party idea sounds nice! Love and happiness should be celebrated. What color are you wearing to the wedding? Are you wearing patiala or churidar pants (if you wear salwar kameez)?

I went to a wedding last year and wore a peach SK with silver embroidery and scalloped edges. 

It's purple with a dark gold (kind of mustard gold) trim going throughout. I'm not sure exactly what style I want to go with yet. My parents bought the material when they were in India. I don't know if I want a traditional sari, a more modern take on one, or the salwar kameez style. In general I'm more of a dress/skirt person. But ideally, I'd like something that I can wear throughout the year, not just for special occasions.

Any places you know of I should look for style ideas?
Sponsored Links

Midna View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by f8dagrate f8dagrate wrote:

maybe for me it was a little different.. i got side eyes from white, black and brown for liking and doing the things i do.. this guys was singing a song by a band named Rancid, and when i stated the name of the song that he sang.. he said, him: omg u know that song? me: yea it's by rancid... him: don't get offended, but i have a lot of black friends but they only listen to rap.. me: okayyy.. him: i can't believe that you listen to themShocked    me: Stern Smile  ... and he was Hispanic by the way..

all my black friends knew i listened to rock they never said a thing.. some even rocked out to it..

i do all except on thing on your list.. and most of those things don't even seem alternative.. maybe it's because of the area u live in.. most black people in cali now, try to be different now, which makes everbody  just the same.. black people do all the above on your list..

ALL THE TIME. You get treated like a damn special snowflake for knowing basic sh*t like that. Their eyes grow wide, their jaws drop, they take an audibly big gasp of air in surprise and excitedly question the fact that you share music tastes with them because their surprise has everything to do with your skin color!
 DeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDead
Midna View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

Originally posted by ShadyLady ShadyLady wrote:

I also get a lot of flack because I don't have or want kids. Everytime someone finds out I'm 26 with no kids, there's this shock.

whenever someone on BHM says this, I genuinely wonder if they come from a neighborhood like that professor spoke about..

I've received that shock at the age of 21. ...
Midna View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by Organic Organic wrote:

Originally posted by **Sk!TtLeS B** **Sk!TtLeS B** wrote:

Orgy, how 'bout you just have a wedding, but dont get a marriage certificate? This is just so I can come to your Indian wedding...because you're gonna have an Indian weddingStern Smile

Would it be appropriate for me to wear a Sari?Geek
I've always wanted one, but I dont want to look like a cultural appropriating hag.

Have mercy Dead.

Yes, you could wear a sari. I'll even have my sister do a henna tattoo for you LOL.

OOH HENNA CAKE!!!

Maybe I should get married because I WANT one of these!

CHRIST, that is beautiful.
Ladybird0724 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 3:50pm
my "alternative" lifestyle choices:

I don't really discuss my religious views b/c of judgement. I suppose I'm more spiritual?? idk. I have felt closer to God standing on top of a mountain than I ever have in church, and I'm ok w/ that now.

I like to hike.

I have did the cosplay thing before and went to a con w/ one of my friends...I was samus

I really like to read/write fanfiction

I like my ratchet music, but I really like classical too. playing my violin is a real stress reliever. I also like kpop. i get tired of ppl having this preconceived notion that because i'm black I only listen to rap. damn, we listen to other things too! I asked this one white person who questioned my taste in music what she thought black people listened to before rap...she said motown and negro spirituals Stern Smile

i wonder why some people are quick to judge others on their "alternative" lifestyles. what's the threat?
Organic View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 3:56pm

It's purple with a dark gold (kind of mustard gold) trim going throughout. I'm not sure exactly what style I want to go with yet. My parents bought the material when they were in India. I don't know if I want a traditional sari, a more modern take on one, or the salwar kameez style. In general I'm more of a dress/skirt person. But ideally, I'd like something that I can wear throughout the year, not just for special occasions.

Any places you know of I should look for style ideas?

Shocked

Here is a choli I have with those colours

If you are more of a dress and skirt kind of person, perhaps a lehenga choli would be a better choice. The 'skirt' portion can be worn alone (without the choli top and dupatta scarf). I sometimes wear a lehenga skirt with a tank top or tunic for a more casual look. 

Also, depending on the amount of fabric you have, you can make a longer, tunic style top to wear with the lehenga, which will also go nicely with jeans.

This is a very ornate lehenga choli, but the top can be made longer.

Oh, and if you have any fabric remaining, you can use it for pillows or a window treatment. 

Edited by Organic - Dec 12 2012 at 4:04pm
Organic View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 4:01pm
@ Maysay,

I don't have any particular place I look for fashion ideas, but ebay has a lot of updated fashion inspirations if you search for sari, salwar kameez or lehenga choli. They always seem to have the latest fashion trends, so sometimes I go there just to have a look.
Lonisha87 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 4:13pm
I'm a metal head, and because i'm black, thats looked down upon by alot of people i know, also the fact that i married a mexican guitar playing metal head was just freakin taboo to these people. I play video games alot, dress a certain way and am told all the time that i am "white_washed", because of what i believe and how i act. The fact that I am agnostic warrants an oh hell no, from people who know, but ,most don't ever ask why. I believe in God, but i believe in other things as well..
**Sk!TtLeS B** View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 4:20pm
I really want to go to Comic Con. I say this sh*t every year, but I reeeeaaalllly want to go!!!! Even though San Diego is only 2hrs away, I dont have a car, I dont have money for the tickets, and I dont have money to cosplay or adequately get my fangirl onCry.

*le sigh* I'll get there one day. Actually, after that woc artwork thread, I'd only want to go if I can cosplay Rogue and have my boo cosplay as Gambit. Embarrassed
bg View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 4:26pm

So do you live an "alternative" lifestyle or have an "alternative" belief/life philosophy? How do other black people respond to it?

Alternate sexuality

Alternate "religion"

Alternate relationships

Most black people think my choices are very...weird.

Which is fine.

Most opposition is regarding religious and relationship preferences...but it doesn't offend me...

it took me a long time to 'retrain' my brain to where it is now (meaning, my feelings, desires, beliefs are mine and are not wrong and pretty much dumping everything i've been taught)

i don't expect people to cosign my lifestyle choices, hopefully, they can respectfully disagree.

my family does not for the most part.  it is what it is...
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>
  Share Topic