Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alternative Lifestyle Choices/Philosophies...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 13>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 11 Votes, Average 4.27  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ShadyLady View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ShadyLady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 2:30am
By these standards, I have an alternative lifestyle. I never thought of it that way, but I'm not offended.

I have never had this burning desire a lot of women have to get married. To be honest, it seems like more of a hassle to me. I just naturally believe I can co-exist (not necessarily live with) the person I love and just be happy. Having a ring or piece of paper wouldn't make that bond any stronger IN MY EYES, although I don't knock anyone who feels otherwise.

Since middle school, people have always thought that was weird and told me I'd change my mind when I meet "the right one". I've been engaged and felt trapped. I couldn't go through with it.

I genuinely don't believe marriage is for me and wish people would stop telling me how "scared", "nervous", or "damaged" I am because I feel that way.

I also get a lot of flack because I don't have or want kids. Everytime someone finds out I'm 26 with no kids, there's this shock. I've had people blatantly ask me if something is wrong and that I can't have kids. People even casually ask about abortions. Everytime I say I don't want kids, everyone acts like I'm gonna wake up when I'm older and regret not doing it...like I can't just genuinely not want it.

Several people have called my choices selfish, and people constantly question my relationship with The Lord because of it...*sigh*.

I'm to a point where I don't care as much, but I have to admit, I don't just volunteer thus info about myself cuz I'm sick of people feeling like they need to counsel me on it.
Sponsored Links

jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 2:33am
I don't know of a culture that doesn't encourage marriage and procreation though...

ShadyLady View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote ShadyLady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 2:38am
You can encourage, but respect when someone is different.
newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 3:06am
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

Originally posted by newdiva1 newdiva1 wrote:

I remember when I went raw for a bit.  The side eyes I got from POC in general and southern white folks. LOL  It was always...."u can't have no meat or bread?  but what u gonna eat?" LOL

my little sister tried to be a vegan. we shut it down.LOL
i told her she could do it after she finishes development at like 18

I tried to be vegetarian in HS but I was shut down because "u don't want to eat meat?  u too good to eat me now? what? u better than me now?" and the fact that back then u didn't have the food options that u do now and on top of that it was crazy expensive.   But even if I just would eat what everybody else was eating but sans meat....I got browbeat by fams to "eat the cake Anna Mae".
newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 3:10am
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

see your idea of simple living and mine differ.  religiously JW are encouraged to be simple, frugal and not huge consumers of much so I was raised on that mindset.  but your ideas of simplistic is probably seen as extreme by 75% of the US population

I definitely agree that a lot of my views are considered extreme.

But even when I've suggested frugality as a temporary stop gap measure for someone they looked at me like I had 3 heads.

Case in point...an acquaintance was talking about how she couldn't make ends meet to pay her bills and feed her kids. I suggested a meal plan (rice/beans/frozen veggies/eggs/fresh fruit that was on sale + some food from the church/food pantry and water) that would get her through the month on 30$ for her and her 2 kids. Her response? She and her kids would not be subjected to the travesty of having to eat basically the same thing every day/meal. She wouldn't even consider it.

But in general I find that's how black people respond to stuff like that.

She talmbout travesty while her stomach grumblin'?  There comes a time when u simply have to stop playin'.
Prazol60 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prazol60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 4:00am
I had it rough as a teen because at that time it was not ok for a black person to like rock music or grunge. I had blue hair at times, wore plaid shirts and likes alt. music groups. During this time it was popular for black teen to wear Tommy Hifiger and herringbone necklaces. I am glad stuff as changed and people can be more open about being different.

I know it is not all roses but things are changing for the better I think.
f8dagrate View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote f8dagrate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 4:30am
maybe for me it was a little different.. i got side eyes from white, black and brown for liking and doing the things i do.. this guys was singing a song by a band named Rancid, and when i stated the name of the song that he sang.. he said, him: omg u know that song? me: yea it's by rancid... him: don't get offended, but i have a lot of black friends but they only listen to rap.. me: okayyy.. him: i can't believe that you listen to themShocked    me: Stern Smile  ... and he was Hispanic by the way..

all my black friends knew i listened to rock they never said a thing.. some even rocked out to it..

i do all except on thing on your list.. and most of those things don't even seem alternative.. maybe it's because of the area u live in.. most black people in cali now, try to be different now, which makes everbody  just the same.. black people do all the above on your list..
TokyoRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TokyoRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 5:22am
Yup, I get crap from both black and non-black people for my lifestyle choices, and I wish they'd stop it.

Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

-being childfree
I feel that as a teacher, I have 60 of my own kids at any given moment, so I don't need any of my own.  Lately, though, I have been interested in the possibility of adoption.

-certain food diets (veganism, raw, not eating processed foods, etc.)
I tried going vegetarian on two occasions.  The first time, I lasted for 6 months.  The second time, I tried gradually cutting meat and dairy products out of my diet, but while I was doing that (still eating meat at the time) the doctor told me my protein levels were too low.  Even now, I rarely eat red meat and I only eat pork maybe 4 times per year, and doctors have STILL told me my protein levels are too low, so no vegetarianism for me.

-anti-consumption/consumerism
-serious frugality
I'm seriously into using what I have and not throwing things away unless it is absolutely necessary.  It's better for the environment. 

-geek culture (steampunk, comics, going to cons, etc.)
YUP!  I love my comics!

-minimalism, simple living
No choice.  I live in a small apartment in Japan.  I can't buy a lot of crap.

And I am an agnostic atheist.  I think with this, it is more about getting others to accept the fact that there are people that exist who don't believe in deities and I'd like to get to a point where that is okay for others to accept.
AmyAmyAmy View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmyAmyAmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 5:57am
I'm quite weird, non-religious etc.

i feel i can't really open up to people.
AmyAmyAmy View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AmyAmyAmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 5:59am
Originally posted by Napp Napp wrote:

I plan to be child free. So far no one seems to believe meCry

Apparently its a phase, my future children are being mentioned already.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 13>
  Share Topic