Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Alternative Lifestyle Choices/Philosophies...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 13>

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 11 Votes, Average 4.27  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 9:19pm
Being black in america is an alternative lifestyle in its own. 
Sponsored Links

dayumash93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dayumash93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 9:23pm
I ascribe to a lot of alternative things that get me side eyes from people of all backgrounds, honestly. Throughout the years I've noticed a lot of POC who have alternative lifestyles have identity issues. While growing up I had to keep my groups of friends separate because my social groups were often segregated and had no interest in mixing cliques or races for that matter. Fast forward a bit and now I have my special little niche of black friends that understand and are equally diverse, as well as friends from many other backgrounds. Of all of the things I'm into that people consider alternative, the biggest shocker is always the extent of my body modification. Although I got a sh*t TON of flack for my choices over the years, ultimately I'm happy with who I am and the things that have made, make, and will continuously me that way.
newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 11:46pm
I love alternative fashion and life however i'm not in a position to actually live it.  As of right now the most alternative that I can claim is that i'll not be having children.....and that I occasionally will wear candy coloured hair with victory rolls and mini top hats.  Because i'm black the candy coloured hair labels me as ghetto....tho the victory rolls and my love of Mini Top hats kinda negates that.

I don't do enough gaming to call myself a gamer, enough geekery to call myself a geek, enough alternative fashion to call myself steam punk or Glamour Goth.

i'm Alternative Lite.
coconess View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coconess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 12:26am
well i used to not eat processed foods and like 50% raw/organic foods.. i didnt get bad/odd comments about it, more so surprise and they were impressed for some reason. 
I was anal tough.. i barely ate anything. 

one day i will get back to no processed foods and only raw/organic.. 
id love to try being vegan as well 
newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 12:29am
I remember when I went raw for a bit.  The side eyes I got from POC in general and southern white folks. LOL  It was always...."u can't have no meat or bread?  but what u gonna eat?" LOL

Edited by newdiva1 - Dec 12 2012 at 12:30am
PRnena View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PRnena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 1:01am
I live the life of a go getta !

Also the life of a real ninja. Ya feels me. Money cars clothes everywhere I go
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 1:07am
Originally posted by newdiva1 newdiva1 wrote:

I remember when I went raw for a bit.  The side eyes I got from POC in general and southern white folks. LOL  It was always...."u can't have no meat or bread?  but what u gonna eat?" LOL

my little sister tried to be a vegan. we shut it down.LOL
i told her she could do it after she finishes development at like 18
**Sk!TtLeS B** View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote **Sk!TtLeS B** Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 1:20am
I read somewhere that, unless they are extremely healthy and have the financial means to keep up the lifestyle, people usually dont stay vegans for very long. 
Az~Maverick View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Az~Maverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 2:02am
I get funny looks sometimes when I mention I practice & teach Yoga. There is still a lot of ignorance out there on the subject even though Yoga began with brown folk. But people look at the skinny white girls and think that's the representation. It isn't, by any means. Only in the Westernized country it is. 

EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 2:05am
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

see your idea of simple living and mine differ.  religiously JW are encouraged to be simple, frugal and not huge consumers of much so I was raised on that mindset.  but your ideas of simplistic is probably seen as extreme by 75% of the US population

I definitely agree that a lot of my views are considered extreme.

But even when I've suggested frugality as a temporary stop gap measure for someone they looked at me like I had 3 heads.

Case in point...an acquaintance was talking about how she couldn't make ends meet to pay her bills and feed her kids. I suggested a meal plan (rice/beans/frozen veggies/eggs/fresh fruit that was on sale + some food from the church/food pantry and water) that would get her through the month on 30$ for her and her 2 kids. Her response? She and her kids would not be subjected to the travesty of having to eat basically the same thing every day/meal. She wouldn't even consider it.

But in general I find that's how black people respond to stuff like that.

i could live on that diet....im haitian though...as long as i have rice + beans im good. i would add some meat to that...and yeah i could eat that for bfast lunch and dinner.

but eggs are expensive now...how could she do that for $30? 
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarg
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 13>
  Share Topic