Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Alternative Lifestyle Choices/Philosophies...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 11 Votes, Average 4.27  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alternative Lifestyle Choices/Philosophies...
    Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 8:21pm
So this has been on my mind a lot lately...alternative lifestyles/philosophies and how people respond to them in the black community.  

I find that in general black people are far less open to "alternative" ways of living. Whether it's in real life or online. It's like certain types of behaviors/beliefs/etc are just...not worth considering.

Examples:
-long term relationships with no intention of marriage
-being childfree
-certain food diets (veganism, raw, not eating processed foods, etc.)
-anti-consumption/consumerism
-serious frugality
-geek culture (steampunk, comics, going to cons, etc.)
-minimalism, simple living

So do you live an "alternative" lifestyle or have an "alternative" belief/life philosophy? How do other black people respond to it?
Sponsored Links

Nijjah25 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Nijjah25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 8:24pm
I like this thread..Thumbs Up
BBpants View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote BBpants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 8:28pm
I definitely live in the geek culture. I get so many weird looks when I admit I like anime or that I'm a stan of DBZ. I don't know if it's because I'm a girl or because I'm a black girl lol

When I was younger I felt uncomfortable because of it but now I don't care. Judge me. 
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 8:29pm
I'll start with my own experience.

I notice here and many other places (irl and online) that not getting a ring is considered a "failure". Whether it's in articles at Clutch or on bhm...if you're in a successful long term relationship and not married you are still not winning.

I personally subscribe to the idea that romantic relationships are just like friendships. Most people don't expect friendships to last for a lifetime. We accept that people and circumstances change. I look at romantic relationships the same way.

But it's rare for me to find a black person who agrees...and almost everyone is super judgmental about it. 
Midna View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Midna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 8:30pm
My clothing and taste in fashion is mainly alternative so often, I get asked if I'm gothic or industrial and I don't think I fit any of those subcultures so I deny.

But then I get people telling me crap about being "a black goth" or how sexy they find it and I'm like.. eheeeeeh. >>; I seriously love cyberpunk and do admire the gothic subculture, though. I also have an intense love to post-apocalyptic wear. Also Japanese Harajuku fashion. All types of fashion and subcultures I admire and derive influence from, but I've never felt a need to fit a label.

Umm.. let's see.. most of my interests have gotten me the label of a nerd, geek, gamer, etc. to which the reaction from those who apply it to me is both negative and positive.

A lot of what I use on my skin is natural so I suppose that's alternative skinscare.

My entire life, I've been labeled as weird with both a positive and negative connotation. I've learned to love and embrace it whether it pleases or displeases others.

Edited by Midna - Dec 11 2012 at 8:31pm
Napp View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Napp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 8:32pm
I plan to be child free. So far no one seems to believe meCry
Midna View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Midna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by BBpants BBpants wrote:

I definitely live in the geek culture. I get so many weird looks when I admit I like anime or that I'm a stan of DBZ. I don't know if it's because I'm a girl or because I'm a black girl lol

When I was younger I felt uncomfortable because of it but now I don't care. Judge me. 

THIS~ All of this!
**Sk!TtLeS B** View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote **Sk!TtLeS B** Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 8:33pm
OMG, seeing Steampunk stuff makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. 
jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 8:33pm
Ppl are often surprised to find out I was lead singer and lead guitarist of an alt rock band.

Me and the members did some local stuff.

We participated in some underground mosh pits but the culture of it all was not our style
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by BBpants BBpants wrote:

Yeah you don't see a lot of black people in general into it.

I love steampunk and sci-fi. I wish there were more black people in it. Love love love Octavia Butler. And will definitely be supporting Will Smith's new movie. But I've already heard black people say stuff like "don't nobody wanna watch that ish" just because it's sci-fi. 
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
  Share Topic