BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > My Career
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

All My Independent Successful Black Women

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SmileyFace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SmileyFace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: All My Independent Successful Black Women
    Posted: Jun 21 2010 at 1:19pm
Where are all the independent successful black women at?? How did you get to where you currently are?? What were some of your hardships??? What were things you did to keep focused? I need some inspiration because I'm currently an Electrical Engineering student and this major is kicking my a$$! I know I can do it but lately I have become discouraged. I ultimately wanna land a good job with a good engineering company but I feel like obtaining my degree is so far away (I have 3 years left before graduation). So any advice would be great!
Sponsored Links

Prize View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Prize Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2010 at 9:33am
Bravo!I do not know any women going into that field, that is really brave of you! I would suggest keeping your head up. If this is something you really want to do, don't let anything get in your way. Your are your greatest asset in life!Just make sure this is something you want to do. I know a lot of people who major in specialty fields and never end of doing what they went to school for. I initially started school for business law and now I am going HR.

But I found myself! At one point I would have been happy finding a good job and brining home $60k-$70k annually, but not anymore. I am going forward with being an entrepreneur and with the help of my SO I haven't really had to struggle.

What keeps me focused? Knowing that I refuse to retire at the age of 70. I plan on retiring a lot sooner than that and the only way to make it happen is to invest in myself. I come to work daily to invest in someone else's future...I am tired.

Time flies and it waits for no one so just be sure this is something you love to do and you would still love it even if it didn't pay. Good luck!
Prize View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Prize Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2010 at 9:38am
Sorry no one else responded! People on this board appear to only flock to drama and gossip! Let you have mentioned something negative and they would have been all over it.
soarlikecruz View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soarlikecruz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2010 at 5:58pm
Good luck with your degree, Smiley! I was thinking of making a thread some what similar to this so I'm waiting for some more responses in here as well!

And good luck to you as well, Prize. What is it that you're working towards? I'd LOVE to go into business for myself. I promised myself when n I quit my last job, after a few years of working for a-holes I'd never work for anyone else again, but myself!

Props to you you both Big%20smile
stlpeach1999 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stlpeach1999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 19 2010 at 12:24pm
Good Luck with your degree and what I did to stay focused and motivated because it was hard when family members telling u that u can't or your to old.  My main objective was to prove that person wrong and when I got my degree you thought they got it with how happy and proud they were like they did it.  Now I'm in grad school working towards my MBA and I graduate next year in May.
MaterialGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaterialGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 19 2010 at 9:04pm
Good for you, girl! Engineering is not an easy field. I know this ALL too well. I've been there. What kept me focused was having a GREAT support system and realizing that they were not going to let me fail. In college I surrounded myself with a bunch of female engineering majors who were going through the same thing with the same goal. That way I didn't have to worry about feeling guilty for not hanging out all of the time because they understood.

The cool thing about it is that once you get on a roll you won't want to stop (at least for me). You realize how much of a rarity you are and how much of a hot commodity [to employers] you will become. Because of this I decided to go ahead a bust out a Ph.D. while I was at it. I figured, I may as well--I had nothing to lose. :-) Keep your head up and keep working hard. I'm sure it will pay off....
MaterialGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MaterialGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 19 2010 at 9:10pm
One more thing: I would strongly suggest getting a mentor, one who has been in your shoes. As a grad student I signed up for MentorNet, a mentor matching website that hooked me up with a female PhD in engineering who was where I wanted to be...

Oh, and join NSBE....thousands of people like you--smart, ambitious, black, young folk, who are there to network, grow, and learn. And, an added bonus is all the FINE dudes!!! lol
luxury View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote luxury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2010 at 10:53pm
Good for you!
Just focus on what drives your desire to go into engineering.  If its money, focus on the 6figures you'll make when you graduate, if its a desire to build systems, focus on how you'll make a difference in people's lives.

And I co-sign the previous comments about gossip threads LOL and the industry associations.  The associations really keep you motivated and going, especially when you see others that look like you holding positions you'll have in a couple of years.

Also, its just a day at a time, the next thing you know, you'll be walking down the graduation aisle!

Originally posted by SmileyFace SmileyFace wrote:

Where are all the independent successful black women at?? How did you get to where you currently are?? What were some of your hardships??? What were things you did to keep focused? I need some inspiration because I'm currently an Electrical Engineering student and this major is kicking my a$$! I know I can do it but lately I have become discouraged. I ultimately wanna land a good job with a good engineering company but I feel like obtaining my degree is so far away (I have 3 years left before graduation). So any advice would be great!
leelee82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leelee82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2010 at 7:58am
Good job Thumbs%20Up

I had the same types of feelings while in my Undergrad and ultimately I changed majors. ( I was computer engineering and I changed to Telecommunications).  It's definitely hard at times but don't give up.

I graduated(after having internships for 3 years) with no job to go to and had to move out the day after graduation because my parents moved *sigh*.
I just a part time job and kept applying and in 2 months found a great job in my field!

Just remember to ask questions about EVERYTHING - get a mentor (like expressed above) if you need one.   The biggest mistake is to let yourself fall through the cracks because of ingnorance.

Lastly - don't stay in a job that makes you miserable. OMG.  I think people forget about this.  It's ok to move around in your company or change jobs!
Sanny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2010 at 1:56pm
What keeps me focused? Knowing that I refuse to retire at the age of 70. I plan on retiring a lot sooner than that and the only way to make it happen is to invest in myself. I come to work daily to invest in someone else's future...I am tired.

Time flies and it waits for no one so just be sure this is something you love to do and you would still love it even if it didn't pay. Good luck! [/QUOTE]

I totally agree!!!
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>