Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Algebra Help--solved. Thanks, Concrete_Rose!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Algebra Help--solved. Thanks, Concrete_Rose!
    Posted: Dec 14 2013 at 1:59am
I'm lost. Solve for s. I keep getting 7u-4t but the answer's supposed to be 7u-4t
                                               -------                                            ------
                                                   2                                                    8

Edited by liesnalibis - Dec 14 2013 at 2:55am
Sponsored Links

VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2013 at 2:01am
Concrete _Rose and others, I can show you how I did it if need be.
_ConcreteRose_ View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote _ConcreteRose_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2013 at 2:05am
So I assume the question says to solve for S?

I would sart by multiplying each side by 4
That would give you 3s+4t= -5s+7u
then add  5S to both sides:
3s(+5s) +4t = -5s(+5s) +7u
8s+4t=7u
move the 4t to the other side of th equal sine
8s=7u-4t
then divide by 8
s=(7u-4t)/8
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2013 at 2:08am
How do you know to multiply by 4? Is there a general rule?
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2013 at 2:09am
I feel so dumb right now. All this math is confusing me and making me forget stuff I thought I knew. Cry
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote _ConcreteRose_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2013 at 2:10am
Well you know that multiplying by 4 get's rid of the denominator on BOTH sides. It's just easier to work with algebra when there are no fractions.

However, since the denominator is -4 just remember that multiplying by four on the left gives you negative 1. So when you divide by negative one, the signs change. 

Edited by _ConcreteRose_ - Dec 14 2013 at 2:10am
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2013 at 2:13am
Originally posted by _ConcreteRose_ _ConcreteRose_ wrote:

Well I know that multiplying by 4 get's rid of he denominator on BOTH sides. It's just easier to work with algebra when there are no fractions.

However, since the denominator is -4 just remember that multiplying by four on the left gives you negative 1. So when you divide by negative one, the signs change. 

You know what, I just figured that out when you were typing. I multiplied the whole left side by 1-. I'll show you what I was doing then what I did if you can point out where I went wrong. I was looking at this problem for over an hour.
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2013 at 2:33am
Sorry for the wait...writing in Paint takes so long!

But this is what I got when I did it like this. Can you tell me why this came out wrong?

VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2013 at 2:36am
I figured since I multiplied both sides by the opposite denominator I could cross out the denominator and work with it that way. And the crazy thing is all the bait answers were similar (it is multiple choice) to my wrong answer, just with different signs.

Edited by liesnalibis - Dec 14 2013 at 2:38am
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote _ConcreteRose_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2013 at 2:37am
Okay, Well the first problem is this: what you do to one side you have to do to the other.  If you multiply by positive 4 on one side, you have to multiply by positive 4 on the other. Or you could do negative 4 on both sides.

Secondly, you did the same thing you did on the other problem. What happened to the 4s in the denominators?
If you cross out the 4s in the denominator you have to do the same in the numerator. 

Edited by _ConcreteRose_ - Dec 14 2013 at 2:39am
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>