Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

After Sentencing, Manning Says, ‘I Am Female

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
bindy View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: After Sentencing, Manning Says, ‘I Am Female
    Posted: Aug 22 2013 at 2:26pm

• Bradley Manning
    Soldier
  • Bradley Edward Manning is a former United States Army soldier who was convicted in July 2013 of several violations of the Espionage Act and other offenses, after releasing the largest set of restricted documents ever leaked to the publi

• After Sentencing, Manning Says, ‘I Am Female’

By EMMARIE HUETTEMAN and BRIAN STELTER
    Published: August 22, 2013 346 Comments
    • FACEBOOK
    • TWITTER
    • GOOGLE+
    • SAVE
    • PRINT
    • REPRINTS

WASHINGTON — One day after being sentenced to 35 years in prison for leaking vast archives of secret government files to WikiLeaks, Pfc. Bradley Manning said Thursday that he is female and wants to be known as Chelsea.

U.S. Army, via Associated Press

An undated photo provided by the United States Army shows Private Manning wearing a wig and lipstick.

Readers’ Comments

In a statement read on the “Today” show during an appearance by his defense lawyer, David E. Coombs, Private Manning said he had felt that he was female since childhood, a fact that was discussed during his court-martial.

“As I transition into this next phase of my life, I want everyone to know the real me,” the statement said. “I am Chelsea Manning. I am a female. Given the way that I feel, and have felt since childhood, I want to begin hormone therapy as soon as possible. I hope that you will support me in this transition.”

The statement went on to request that Private Manning’s supporters “refer to me by my new name and use the feminine pronoun (except in official mail to the confinement facility).” It was signed, “Chelsea Manning.”

Mr. Coombs said Private Manning waited to speak publicly about his gender identity until after sentencing.

Private Manning’s decision to live as a woman raises questions of how the Army prison at Fort Leavenworth, Kan., where he will be held, will respond. A spokeswoman for the prison recently told Courthouse News that the prison does not provide hormone therapy or gender-reassignment surgery. As is the case for all soldiers, transgender inmates are only eligible for psychiatric care, she said.

Mr. Coombs acknowledged as much on “Today.” He said that his client had not signaled an interest in gender-reassignment surgery, but that he was hopeful that Fort Leavenworth would “do the right thing” and provide hormone therapy. Such therapeutic regimens can help people with male physical features turn those features more feminine.

Mr. Coombs said that if the military did not provide hormone therapy willingly, “then I’m going to do everything in my power to make sure they are forced to do so.”

When asked whether Private Manning’s ultimate goal was to be housed in prison with women, instead of men, Mr. Coombs said, “No, I think the ultimate goal is to be comfortable in her skin and to be the person that she’s never had an opportunity to be.”

Defense lawyers raised the fact that Private Manning is transgender during the sentencing phase of his court-martial, describing the emotional stress he endured while deployed in Iraq.

Two psychiatrists testified about treating Private Manning for “gender identity disorder,” a diagnosis for psychological discomfort with one’s sex that the American Psychiatric Association renamed “gender dysphoria” last year. The psychiatrists said that handling such a diagnosis in a combat zone, and at time when it was still against military law to be openly gay, would have put Private Manning under immense pressure.

“You put him in this environment, this kind of hypermasculine environment, if you will, and with no supports and few coping skills, the pressure would have been difficult to say the least,” Capt. Michael Worsley, a clinical psychologist who treated Private Manning, said in court last week. “It would have been incredible.”

According to testimony, Private Manning e-mailed a photograph of himself dressed in a blond wig and makeup to a supervisor at one point during his deployment. In the e-mail, which he titled “My Problem,” he described a struggle with something that “makes my entire life feel like a bad dream that won’t end.”

The Bradley Manning Support Network, a grass-roots activist group that has raised money for Private Manning’s defense, asked supporters last year to refer to him using the masculine pronoun until he expressed a preference.

“Everything we know from Bradley Manning’s friends, family, and legal defense team, is that he wishes to be referred to as Brad or Bradley until he’s able to get to the next stage of his life,” the statement said.

In an online conversation, published by the Web site of Wired magazine in 2010, Private Manning told the man who eventually turned him in to the authorities, Adrian Lamo, that “I wouldn’t mind going to prison for the rest of my life, or being executed so much, if it wasn’t for the possibility of having pictures of me plastered all over the world press as a boy.”

Television anchors, including the one who interviewed Mr. Coombs, NBC’s Savannah Guthrie, were not immediately sure how to tell the name-change story. Ms. Guthrie, for instance, used the pronoun “she” to refer to Private Manning throughout most of the interview, but used “he” when trying to emphasize the change had just been announced.

Edited by bindy - Aug 22 2013 at 2:28pm
    Sponsored Links

Lonisha87 View Drop Down
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonisha87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2013 at 2:30pm
    Hmm. Not all prisons are required to provide this, I couldn't imagine a military prison doing so
    leftywefty View Drop Down
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leftywefty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2013 at 3:31pm
    Hey he might as well stop living a lie and embrace who he feels he really is. Too bad he didn't do it sooner
    uppitynegroid View Drop Down
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uppitynegroid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2013 at 3:43pm
    Originally posted by leftywefty leftywefty wrote:

Hey he might as well stop living a lie and embrace who he feels he really is. Too bad he didn't do it sooner

Random/off-topic but doesn't his lifestyle conflict with your belief in Islam?  (I hope I have the right poster).
    AshBash89 View Drop Down
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote AshBash89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2013 at 3:48pm
    I don't feel like reading.  What is he trying to accomplish?
    Sang Froid View Drop Down
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2013 at 4:09pm
    Why would a prison provide hormone treatment?
    rickysrose View Drop Down
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2013 at 4:11pm
    does he want to be housed with female prisoners?

is he trying to avoid general population?

if this backfires oh my mercy for him
    GoodGirlGoneGr8 View Drop Down
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoodGirlGoneGr8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2013 at 4:13pm
    Like, dykes (is that PC??) do such a great job looking like boys/men...

Men need to do a better at looking like women...that wig looks like it was birthed by Barbie and Kim Zolciak. And the makeup looks like it was done by Helen Keller...
    zolloh View Drop Down
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote zolloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2013 at 4:16pm
    wont happen

Army: No gender reassignment for Bradley Manning

Pvt. Bradley E. Manning, the soldier convicted of the biggest leak of classified documents in history, will serve his sentence as a man, not as the woman he now claims to be, Army spokesman George Wright told The Washington Times Thursday.

He noted that the Army provides no sex-change surgery or hormone therapy but said Manning will have access to psychiatrists and other mental health professionals.

“The Army does not provide hormone therapy or sex-reassignment surgery for gender-identity disorder,” he said.

Manning was sentenced to 35 years in prison Wednesday for leaking 700,000 classified documents from the U.S. military and State Department to the anti-secrecy site WikiLeaks.

Thursday, in a statement he released to NBC’s “Today” show, Manning said he wished to lead the rest of his life as a woman.

“I am Chelsea Manning. I am female,” he wrote. “Given the way I feel and have felt since childhood, I want to begin hormone therapy as soon as possible.

“I also request that, starting today, you refer to me by my new name and use the feminine pronoun,” he said. “I look forward to receiving letters from supporters and having the opportunity to write back.”

His lawyer, David Coombs said if the military did not accommodate his client’s desire to be a woman, he would “do everything in my power to force them to.”

mizzsandra00 View Drop Down
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote mizzsandra00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2013 at 4:19pm
    Def not PC.....and its completely wrong.....

In his defense its some natural born women out here looking just as bad......they need to be better women?
    Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
    Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
    Glam Twinz
    Weave Connection
    Little Black Scarf
    Human Hair Wigs
    Wefting Training
    Brazilian Hair
    Brazilian Hair
    Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
     Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
      Share Topic