Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
Ciccone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Africas Best Relaxer
    Posted: Jun 18 2011 at 5:15pm
I went to the store looking for my usual relaxer (Doctor Miracles Super) but they only had it in Regular and my hair is coarse and resistant and requires a stronger formula (I'm just touching up my roots). There were several other relaxers there and in the end I decided to get Africa's Best Super. I've been through several relaxers, but I've never used this one, although I use other Africa's Best products.  Has anyone used this relaxer? Can you tell me if its good? 
Sponsored Links

ethiopian View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2011 at 5:25pm
I would like to know too. Also, the type of hair it works better on. 
I had a permanent Japanese strengthener sometime back....interesting experience but never again. 
sparkle93 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2011 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by ethiopian ethiopian wrote:

I would like to know too. Also, the type of hair it works better on. 
I had a permanent Japanese strengthener sometime back....interesting experience but never again. 
Tell me more about the japanese straightener
ethiopian View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2011 at 6:05pm
Got it done in Bangkok at a salon run by an indian lady, because I could not find a basic relaxer anywhere.  I was desperate....temps in summer are avg. 97-110 degree heat with 100% humidity.
She checked the strength and health of my hair before she would do it.
The process was that first she put a chemical in my hair and covered it with a plastic cap.  Every 5-10 mins she would pull a hair strand to test its strength.  Basically the hair has to "breakdown" to become really elastic...but just before the point of snapping.  Then the chemical is rinsed and washed with shampoo. Then  blow dried lightly (semi wet) then flat ironed in very thin sections at 450F.

My hair was soft but seriously bone straight and had to remain dry for 4 days.  Maintenance required the use heavy conditioners. I bought a lovely Mizani conditioner from her (though I can't find that particular one here in US). Ended up using some really great South Korean conditioners.
When you wash your hair  feels crunchy and it is best not to comb your hair until after you have put on the conditioner.  I have heard of womens hair falling out/breaking off from strain. While in Laos with no conditioner options worth using, I made up my own hair oil to help combat the dryness. 

Overall, the straightener worked. I got out of the shower and let my hair air dry.. it stayed straight with no frizz.  No hair loss or breakage.

Downside is that after a few weeks you have to deal with new growth (means redoing the process). Also your hair will have a heck of a time holding a curl for more than an hour.  Only way to change that is to cut it off or let it grow out as I did.  My ends still resist curling and are drier and thinner than the rest of my hair. 

yurika975 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2011 at 11:43pm
Oh wow...I'd always wondered about the japanese relaxers...thanks for sharing your experience. To the OP, I've used the Africa's Best relaxer...my hair is more resistant to relaxer and thicker than my mom and sis. I didn't burn and it did straighten. 
ethiopian View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2011 at 8:28am
Thanks for letting me know how Africa's Best worked on your hair. Especially that it works on resistant thick hair.  So, will you be using it again?
reeniebabie1289 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2011 at 8:41pm
i used to use africa's best all the time before switching to ors.
i had no problems with it. 
bka_naya View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2011 at 8:58am
This is just for MY hair so this is how it worked for ME.

Africa's Best relaxer and even africa's best conditioner hates my hair! At first I thought it was because I have extremely long periods before I receive a perm, until I switched to Organic root stimulator. I guess since basically I'm semi-natural then I need to use more natural products and Africa's best is not at all natural if you read their ingredients especially for the conditioner.
vibrant1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 22 2011 at 7:56pm
I use to use Africa' Best perm, I loved it.  It made my hair feel soft and silky the leave in conditioner smells great.  I didn't leave it in my hair long at all, because my hair is fine and thin so it got my hair bone straight.  I no longer use it because I discovered I can use Just For Me and it straights my hair the same.
But I would recommend the Africa' Best it's a good perm.  I am now going to try texturing or tex-laxing my hair.  Because I love the curl pattern in my hair from stretching my relaxers.

Hope this helpsSmile
gbmc689 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 03 2011 at 1:16pm
I just used this relaxer and my hair is silky soft,i only left it in there for about 10 mins ( cause i dont like bone straight hair ). it works for me!

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
iLace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic