Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

African origins of the diaspora

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by Ivy_Grad Ivy_Grad wrote:

Omg I just typed a pseudo essay only to have my computer act up and refresh the page before I could hit submit.

Anywho
I am soo happy you posted this topic!  I have been meaning to do some
more investigation on this.  My mother's family is from Virginia, which
has been known to keep pretty impeccable records from that era.  My father's family is from North Carolina.  I view both states as essentially the same region LOL.

I
have yet to do the DNA testing.  I remember traveling to Accra, Ghana
for a wintersession program when I was in college.  I met this woman who
I swore looked exactly like my maternal grandmother, I was soo drawn to
her.  She was kind enough and gave me a hug when I told her I was from
the states and she reminded me of my grandmother, probably thought I was
as looney as a bedbug lol.  I have also met many persons from Nigeria
who could pass for cousins of mine. 

In my cursory search I
came across a website which looked at various regions of origin of
African slaves that were imported into the state of Virginia.  In the
Rappahanock region where my family is from, it looks like the majority
of slaves came from the Senegambia region, where they most likely worked
on tobacco plantations. 

http://research.history.org/historical_research/research_themes/themeenslave/slavetrade.cfm

LOl, I started this thread because just the other day, some dude followed me in a store and asked me if I was from Sierra Leone. I get that all the time with different nationalities.
You're lucky to come from an area with such impeccable records.
Sponsored Links

india100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote india100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 6:39pm
Ancestry.com rip me off a few years back after my parents died . I only know my great grandmother was born due to Rape by a Indian slave owners . I plan to research more for my little girl . One of my olders sisters found a picture of our great grandfather on a different site . The man on the right . We joke about wearing Indian virgin weaves . I was really shock . I knew my parents pick cotton on white folk plantations , Great aunt rape , and my grandfather was hung . I post a picture of the hanging on bhm a few years back . I need a tech to help me recover important pictures on my old computers .  

Edited by india100 - Jan 15 2014 at 7:41pm
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 6:52pm

^^They didn't tell you a damn thing about your African ancestry? Wow, they really ripped you off. But at least you found out some things about your relatives in the States itself, however unpleasant. I can't find any info on my relatives in Haiti. I also need to research my side from Guadeloupe.

Edited by JoliePoufiasse - Jan 15 2014 at 7:50pm
india100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote india100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 7:03pm
Jolie i lost a few Hundred dollars ^^^^ My older sister found the picture on a search site . I plan to find out everything possible about my family roots to share with my baby one day . Who knows , i may have haitian roots also . I will send you a PM after i speak with my sister . The site she found the picture on seems like accurate info . Maybe they can help you . Good topic .

Edited by india100 - Jan 15 2014 at 9:17pm
Rumbera View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rumbera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 9:09pm
India ... I've been researching my family roots but stopped earlier this year. I was just finding a whole bunch of yt French people on my dad side, my mom side is more complicated her Dad was in trouble in Haiti and fled to Cuba then changed his last name and nobody knows nada about nada. I just gave up for the moment.
india100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote india100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by Rumbera Rumbera wrote:

India ... I've been researching my family roots but stopped earlier this year. I was just finding a whole bunch of yt French people on my dad side, my mom side is more complicated her Dad was in trouble in Haiti and fled to Cuba then changed his last name and nobody knows nada about nada. I just gave up for the moment.
I understand your frustration . I left a voicemail for my sister . I will send you a PM with the name of the site she found also .
juniper angel View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniper angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 9:31pm
Does anybody know where the slaves in haiti came from I found the info but lost it.
Oladunni View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Oladunni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 9:58pm
idk how i feel about this African dna testing ... but after watching this video a while back... i kinda don't believe them..

Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by juniper angel juniper angel wrote:

Does anybody know where the slaves in haiti came from I found the info but lost it.

I posted this already. See below.

AFRICAN ORIGINS OF HAITIANS
Amongst others (I know there are more)

Central Africa (Kongo)
Benin (Ewe, Yoruba)
Nigeria (Igbo)
Ghana ( I think it's Yoruba)
Senegal,
Sierra Leone, Guinee (Susu)
South Africa
Madagascar

A somewhat funny tidbit about the Susu. They were often domestic workers in Haiti (basically house negroes, lol).
They were hated by people involved in the slave revolt because they tended to side with their white masters and would be snitches. The whites preferred them because they were known as phenomenal cooks.
To this day, a person is called "sousou" in creole if they are deemed to be the kind to kiss ass, basically a coon. No insult to the sousous of Guinea, most Haitians don't even know the origins of this. I just found out 10 minutes ago.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by Oladunni Oladunni wrote:

idk how i feel about this African dna testing ... but after watching this video a while back... i kinda don't believe them..

DNA testing only provides a fraction of the story, I'm sure. But it still gives you clues. The thing is, if for ex, slaves from a specific country come from 20 different ethnic groups, these groups have most likely intermixed during their captivity (or even prior to their captivity). I'm thinking that if a dna test tends to identify Senegambia, it means that you've had some people that came from Senegambia but that does not exclude other groups because it doesn't reveal every single group in your family tree. I still think the best way to get the most accurate picture is through slave records, personally. The Brits, the Spanish, the Portuguese and the French kept records of their travels. Depending on where you ended up, you have more chance of getting extensive info if you research it.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>
  Share Topic