Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

African origins of the diaspora

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by Rumbera Rumbera wrote:

Thanks for the info....I want a complete analysis so i'll definitely get my parents tested.

Let me know when you do. I'm disappointed that this thread didn't take off. I was also hoping for African posters to chime in with what they know
Sponsored Links

trudawg View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote trudawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 5:36pm
A lot of these folks on here are young, and have no desire to explore anything beyond what's in the mainstream media. Don't take it personal ;=)
melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 5:38pm
I read somewhere that it's not all that accurate to assume certain ethnic groups went to certain countries. They had holding prisons at each port, they mixed there. Each port went to different destinations. So you can have people from each region in the OP, the mix that a single individual winds up being is random.
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

None of us would have any idea where our ancestors come from, unless you read and search the internet. That's lazy.

You mean I coulda saved that 100 I spent to get my DNA looked at? Cry
Learning about Africa in general =/= knowing where I come from.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

None of us would have any idea where our ancestors come from, unless you read and search the internet. That's lazy.

You mean I coulda saved that 100 I spent to get my DNA looked at? Cry
Learning about Africa in general =/= knowing where I come from.

Why didn't you say you had your DNA analysed? What were the results?
And this is not about Africa in general, just the coastal part that was affected by the slave trade. Trying to see which ethnic groups went where. But I guess most people don't care about that kind of thing.
Rumbera View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rumbera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 5:46pm
Drop your results Sang ????
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 5:49pm
[QUOTE=melikey] I read somewhere that it's not all that accurate to assume certain ethnic groups went to certain countries. They had holding prisons at each port, they mixed there. Each port went to different destinations. So you can have people from each region in the OP, the mix that a single individual winds up being is random.[/

Sure, there have been mixings before boarding the ships between some of the populations. But if you know who was the colonizer, where they went to get slaves and what specific country you want to explore, you can get a lot of info on who ended up where regardless.

Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 6:09pm
45 different ethnic groups were brought to the Americas. Here are the ten most prominent

The different ethnic groups brought to the Americas closely corresponds to the regions of heaviest activity in the slave trade. Over 45 distinct ethnic groups were taken to the Americas during the trade. Of the 45, the ten most prominent according to slave documentation of the era are listed below.

1.The Gbe speakers of Togo, Ghana and Benin (Adja, Mina, Ewe, Fon)
2.The Mbundu of Angola (includes Ovimbundu)
3.The BaKongo of the Democratic Republic of Congo and Angola
4.The Igbo of Nigeria
5.The Yoruba of Nigeria
6.The Akan of Ghana and Cote d'Ivoire
7.The Mandé speakers of Upper Guinea
8.The Wolof of Senegal
9.The Chamba of Nigeria
10.The Makua of Mozambique
Ivy_Grad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ivy_Grad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 6:12pm
Omg I just typed a pseudo essay only to have my computer act up and refresh the page before I could hit submit.

Anywho I am soo happy you posted this topic!  I have been meaning to do some more investigation on this.  My mother's family is from Virginia, which has been known to keep pretty impeccable records from that era.  My father's family is from North Carolina.  I view both states as essentially the same region LOL.

I have yet to do the DNA testing.  I remember traveling to Accra, Ghana for a wintersession program when I was in college.  I met this woman who I swore looked exactly like my maternal grandmother, I was soo drawn to her.  She was kind enough and gave me a hug when I told her I was from the states and she reminded me of my grandmother, probably thought I was as looney as a bedbug lol.  I have also met many persons from Nigeria who could pass for cousins of mine. 

In my cursory search I came across a website which looked at various regions of origin of African slaves that were imported into the state of Virginia.  In the Rappahanock region where my family is from, it looks like the majority of slaves came from the Senegambia region, where they most likely worked on tobacco plantations. 

http://research.history.org/historical_research/research_themes/themeenslave/slavetrade.cfm
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 6:15pm
About the Igbos

Ethnic groups were fairly saturated in certain parts of the Americas because of planters preferences in certain African peoples.[7] The Igbo where dispersed to colonies such as Jamaica,[8] Cuba,[8] Hispaniola,[8] Barbados,[9] United States,[10] Belize,[11] Trinidad and Tobago[12] among others. Elements of Igbo culture can still be found in these places. In the United States the Igbo were found common in the state of Maryland and Virginia.[13]
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>