BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

African origins of the diaspora

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Rumbera View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rumbera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 4:46pm
I really think my ancestors were Lucumi just because of the traditions that have been passed down.
Sponsored Links

Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by trudawg trudawg wrote:

Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

No can do.

Why not? It's historical knowledge

Closed mind can't be fed

Man look.
I don't know anything about African history other than Egypt.

JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by Rumbera Rumbera wrote:

I really think my ancestors were Lucumi just because of the traditions that have been passed down.

Do you have any idea in which modern day African country the Lucumi lived? I'm gonna research it but just in case...

P.S: It seems that the word Lucumi is specific to afro-Cubans, rather than an African ethnic group. I think the ethnic group would be Yoruba, which would mean places like modern-day Benin and Nigeria, for instance

Edited by JoliePoufiasse - Jan 15 2014 at 4:53pm
Rumbera View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rumbera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 4:53pm
Thought you may find this interesting JP!
Cabildos de nación
were African ethnic associations created in Cuba.Cabildos were institutions that made possible the conservation of the idiosyncrasy, religion and culture of the African nations in Cuba. The songs, dances, and drum rhythms that were played for African deities in a land that was so hostile to the Africans slaves were the mechanism by which slaves were able to keep alive their Africanness and resist Spanish cultural hegemony.
Name of CabildoAfrican region of originEthnic group of origin
AbakuáNigeria/CameroonEkpe
MandingaSierra LeoneMalinké
GangaSierra LeoneMalinké
MinaGold CoastAkan
LucumiBenin and NigeriaYoruba
CarabalisBiafraIgbo - Efik
MacauasMozambiqueMakua
CongoAngolaBantu
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 4:57pm
¨^^^ I love it! And I was right about the Lucumi, from the chart you posted. I'm sure there's a lot of Yorubas on this board, considering the number of Nigerian posters.
I'm researching this stuff in my spare time. It seems like it's the same countries that come up over and over all over the black diaspora. I'm trying to figure out if it's the same ethnic groups as well or if they're more diversified depending on who the colonizers were.

Edited by JoliePoufiasse - Jan 15 2014 at 4:57pm
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 4:59pm

Originally posted by trudawg trudawg wrote:

No can do.

Why not? It's historical knowledge

Closed mind can't be fed

Man look.
I don't know anything about African history other than Egypt.

It's highly unlikely that any of your ancestors came from Egypt, though. Lack of intellectual curiosity...
Rumbera View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rumbera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 5:01pm

Originally posted by Rumbera Rumbera wrote:

Do you have any idea in which modern day African country the Lucumi lived? I'm gonna research it but just in case...

P.S: It seems that the word Lucumi is specific to afro-Cubans, rather than an African ethnic group. I think the ethnic group would be Yoruba, which would mean places like modern-day Benin and Nigeria, for instance

Exactly  ! I should've been more clear(. From my research most likely Southerwestern Nigeria.

Edited by Rumbera - Jan 15 2014 at 5:03pm
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 5:04pm

It's highly unlikely that any of your ancestors came from Egypt, though. Lack of intellectual curiosity...

No sh*t my ancestors didn't come from Egypt.
I have no idea where they came from.
And that's not my fault.
Rumbera View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rumbera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 5:04pm

¨^^^ I love it! And I was right about the Lucumi, from the chart you posted. I'm sure there's a lot of Yorubas on this board, considering the number of Nigerian posters.
I'm researching this stuff in my spare time. It seems like it's the same countries that come up over and over all over the black diaspora. I'm trying to figure out if it's the same ethnic groups as well or if they're more diversified depending on who the colonizers were.

If youtube a Lucumi ceremoney and a Yoruban Nigerian one it looks like one in the same.
TokyoRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TokyoRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 5:06pm
I had a DNA test done.  Recently, ancestrydna.com has done a much better job about being specific in terms of origin, but as for my African ancestors, I would at least like to get a further breakdown as to the ethnic group I belong to.

The actual results surprised me because I was expecting almost exclusively Mali/Ghana origins.  The breakdown was actually as follows:

Cameroon/ Congo  22%
Mali                         17%
Nigeria                    14%
Ivory Coast/Ghana 14%

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training