Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

African origins of the diaspora

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 4:23pm
Anybody else? I know there are plenty of posters from the Caribbean, latin America...

Edited by JoliePoufiasse - Jan 15 2014 at 4:24pm
Sponsored Links

Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

I can't even tell you about my daddy, let alone some folks that have been dead for hundreds of years.

I can't tell you about my bloodline either. The idea is to gather on here whatever you may have learned from books or the internet about the African origins of the people in your culture. Aren't you the least bit curious? Where are you from? Or your parents?
trudawg View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote trudawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

No can do.

Why not? It's historical knowledge

Closed mind can't be fed
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by trudawg trudawg wrote:

Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

No can do.

Why not? It's historical knowledge

Closed mind can't be fed

It would seem so    . Such a shame. Anyway, I'll keep listing what I find about different countries. *Sigh* Not in the mood for Kimye threads right now...
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by iliveforbhm iliveforbhm wrote:

Most black Americans disassociated with the continent and now are European.

FYI, this doesn't apply to black americans alone. Most west-Indians have somewhat dissociated themselves from the continent as well after some 400 years. The point is to get a sense of where your ancestors came from, country by country.
I'm still interested in knowing where the blacks from the U.S., Brazil, Jamaica or Mexico come from. But that's just me. I like knowledge.
It would also help to see what we all have in common instead of what divides us.

Edited by JoliePoufiasse - Jan 15 2014 at 4:31pm
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 4:35pm
AFRICAN ORIGINS OF JAMAICANS

Enslaved Africans mostly came from the Akan, Bantu, Igbo, Fon along with the Yoruba, Efik and "Moko" people

Bight of Benin (Yoruba, Ewe, Fon, Allada and Mahi) 11.2%
Bight of Biafra (Igbo, Ibibio) 28.9 %
Gold Coast (Akan, Fon) 34.5 %
Senegambia (Mandinka, Fula, Wolof) 1.8 %
Sierra Leone (Mende, Temne) 3.5 %
Southeast Africa (Macua, Malagasy) 0.1 %
West-central Africa (Kongo, Mbundu) 14.5 %
Windward Coast (Mandé, Kru) 5.2%
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 4:36pm

I can't even tell you about my daddy, let alone some folks that have been dead for hundreds of years.

I can't tell you about my bloodline either. The idea is to gather on here whatever you may have learned from books or the internet about the African origins of the people in your culture. Aren't you the least bit curious? Where are you from? Or your parents?

Not really curious, since the answer is pretty clear. I'm a negro descended from slaves who were I'm sure mixed with all sorts of things.

I guess origins just really don't mean much to me.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 4:39pm

Not really curious, since the answer is pretty clear. I'm a negro descended from slaves who were I'm sure mixed with all sorts of things.

I guess origins just really don't mean much to me.

The whole point of the exercise for me was to figure out what ethnicities are on BHM and if I can learn from them regarding my ancestors. But I guess some people just don't give a fucc.

Anyways, Any Igbos, Yorubas or Susus in here? If so, let me know.
Rumbera View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rumbera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 4:41pm
Lucumi: The ethnic group of the greatest cultural dominance in Cuba is by the ethnic name Lucumí or Yoruba from west of the Niger river.
Congo: Bantu Africans called Congos in Cuba were originated from the Bantu area extending from the mouth of the Congo River.
CARABALÍ: Slaves of the Carabali ethnic group were imported from the eastern part of the Niger from the old Calabar.

ARARÁ:
Slaves of the Arará ethnic group were imported from the center and south of Benin(formerly Dahomey).

GANGÁ

Slaves of the Mandé ethnic group (in Cuba Mandingo and Gangá) were imported from area what is today the Republics of Guinea and Sierra Leone

ASHANTI
Slaves of the Ashanti (in Cuba Mina) ethnic group were imported from the former Gold Coast (now Ghana).

MACUÁ
Macuá ethnic group is the only indication of eastern Africa in Cuba. Slaves of the Macuá ethnic group were imported from the northern part of the Zambezi River, in the present Republic of Mozambique.

Edited by Rumbera - Jan 15 2014 at 4:45pm
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by Rumbera Rumbera wrote:

>

fascinating! Thank you! I already recognize a few tribes from what you posted!

Every country posted so far seems to have in common Kongo and Sierra Leone and Benin, from what I can see at a glance

Edited by JoliePoufiasse - Jan 15 2014 at 4:48pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System