Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

African origins of the diaspora

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: African origins of the diaspora
    Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 4:09pm
I just discovered a funny little tidbit about an African ethnic group that was enslaved in Haiti called the Susu (from Guinea and Sierra Leone
and this gave me the idea for this thread. I thought people from the U.S. and the Caribbean might want to list what they know about their African ancestors.

I'll start with the U.S., only because this site is U.S. based. It would be interesting if folks could give specific info about the ethnic groups within these countries

AFRICAN ORIGINS OF AFRICAN-AMERICANS

90 percent came from Senegambia (Senegal, Gambia, Guinea-Bissau, Mali), the Upper Guinea Coast (Sierra Leone, Guinea), the Gold Coast (Ghana), the Bight of Biafra (eastern Nigeria, Cameroon), and west-central Africa (Angola, Congo, Democratic Republic of Congo, Gabon). Almost half of the arriving Africans came from two areas — Senegambia and west central Africa.

Edited by JoliePoufiasse - Jan 15 2014 at 4:09pm
Sponsored Links

Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 4:10pm
No can do.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 4:11pm
AFRICAN ORIGINS OF HAITIANS
Amongst others (I know there are more)

Central Africa (Kongo)
Benin (Ewe, Yoruba)
Nigeria (Igbo)
Ghana ( I think it's Yoruba)
Senegal,
Sierra Leone, Guinee (Susu)
South Africa
Madagascar

A somewhat funny tidbit about the Susu. They were often domestic workers in Haiti (basically house negroes, lol).
They were hated by people involved in the slave revolt because they tended to side with their white masters and would be snitches. The whites preferred them because they were known as phenomenal cooks.
To this day, a person is called "sousou" in creole if they are deemed to be the kind to kiss ass, basically a coon. No insult to the sousous of Guinea, most Haitians don't even know the origins of this. I just found out 10 minutes ago.

Edited by JoliePoufiasse - Jan 15 2014 at 4:20pm
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

No can do.

Why not? It's historical knowledge
f8dagrate View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote f8dagrate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

I just discovered a funny little tidbit about an African ethnic group that was enslaved in Haiti called the Susu (from Guinea and Sierra Leone
and this gave me the idea for this thread. I thought people from the U.S. and the Caribbean might want to list what they know about their African ancestors.

I'll start with the U.S., only because this site is U.S. based. It would be interesting if folks could give specific info about the ethnic groups within these countries

AFRICAN ORIGINS OF AFRICAN-AMERICANS

90 percent came from Senegambia (Senegal, Gambia, Guinea-Bissau, Mali), the Upper Guinea Coast (Sierra Leone, Guinea), the Gold Coast (Ghana), the Bight of Biafra (eastern Nigeria, Cameroon), and west-central Africa (Angola, Congo, Democratic Republic of Congo, Gabon). Almost half of the arriving Africans came from two areas — Senegambia and west central Africa.

NO they would not, I have read on this site countless of times that people know that their Ancestors are from Africa they just don't care to find out what country.

iliveforbhm View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iliveforbhm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 4:15pm
DNA testing would be more accurate and especially the data base is getting wider and wider.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by iliveforbhm iliveforbhm wrote:

DNA testing would be more accurate and especially the data base is getting wider and wider.

In the absence of DNA testing, it would be interesting to list what we know. I'm researching mostly Haiti, so I have more specific info on Haiti, but other countries might have more specific info on their own.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by f8dagrate f8dagrate wrote:

I

NO they would not, I have read on this site countless of times that people know that their Ancestors are from Africa they just don't care to find out what country.

Well, that's a shame because there are so many interesting tidbits to discover...
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (9) Thanks(9)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 4:21pm
I can't even tell you about my daddy, let alone some folks that have been dead for hundreds of years.

iliveforbhm View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote iliveforbhm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 4:22pm
Most black Americans disassociated with the continent and now are European.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic