Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

African origins of the diaspora

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by Rumbera Rumbera wrote:

India ... I've been researching my family roots but stopped earlier this year. I was just finding a whole bunch of yt French people on my dad side, my mom side is more complicated her Dad was in trouble in Haiti and fled to Cuba then changed his last name and nobody knows nada about nada. I just gave up for the moment.

Lol, I get the frustration as well. I have yet to research my side from Guadeloupe because it doesn't take much to figure out that I had some French ancestors that I won't be necessarily overjoyed to know about. I already know vaguely of at least once on my Haitian side. I guess that's why I'd rather focus on my African ancestry for now
Sponsored Links

JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 10:33pm
nvm

Edited by JoliePoufiasse - Jan 15 2014 at 10:34pm
PurrPoZe View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurrPoZe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 10:53pm
Anyone do the 23andme DNA kit? The FDA has put restrictions on their analysis but I got the free kit (I think someone posted it on here) before the restrictions...but anyway my ancestry overview is

Haplogroup: L3d, a subgroup of L3
Region: Northern, Eastern, Southern Africa
Example Populations: Bantu-speakers, African Americans
Highlight: L3d has spread throughout Africa during the past few thousand years.

Background:
Introduction
Haplogroup L3 has played a pivotal role in the history of the human species. Soon after the haplogroup arose in eastern Africa about 60,000 years ago a relatively small number of migrants carried it across the Red Sea to Arabia, inaugurating an intercontinental migration that eventually settled every major land mass on Earth except Antarctica. That small group also gave rise to every non-African haplogroup.

L3 has also been mobile within Africa, spreading south with migrations of Bantu-speaking populations over the past few thousand years. The Atlantic slave trade carried it to the Americas as well; various branches of L3 are found today among more than 25% of the African American population.

Haplogroup L3d
L3d appears to have originated in western Africa about 30,000 years ago. Like many haplogroups found in that part of Africa, it spread widely with the migrations of Bantu-speaking people that began about 4,000 years ago. L3d is now found at levels of 27% among the Bantu-speaking Sukuma of Tanzania, and at 10% in Mozambique. Due to the importance of western Africa in the Atlantic slave trade, it is also found among African Americans.

It says my DNA group today is largely found in the UK and Haiti.

I think to buy the kit it's like 99 dollars but I swear it's the coolest thing ever...and if more people join and contribute it could be even better. I will say I hate that most of the medical analysis are from data of Europeans. I don't think I've seen medical data from black people
Diane (35) View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane (35) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 11:17pm
The interesting thing is the English were EXCELLENT record keepersDead Ive seen the info from ship manifestos and ports but I don't recall where. Unlike in the USA much of Jamaica's history is not found online *sigh* and often when I do a quick google search I find info but through someone else's eyes and im skeptical a bit

In the Karrin thread I offered what I could recall. Akan or the Coromanti, Mandingo, Igbo, Yoruba forgetting a few. Once I saw a documentary abt the African language _______ being retained amongs the Maroons of Jamaica. I always marvel at the fact that the linguistic stylings and words of the Aficans still remainSmile
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

I can't even tell you about my daddy, let alone some folks that have been dead for hundreds of years.

**Sk!TtLeS B** View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote **Sk!TtLeS B** Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2014 at 12:57am
A few years ago I saw several sculptures/busts from Benin that I thought looked like what my family would look like without the white and native mixing. I'd like to get the DNA testing done, but it probably wont be anytime soon as I dont have $200 to devote to just that. I'm actually content with just knowing, celebrating and practicing black american cultural customs, however I think it'd be interesting to find out how much of AA culture is influenced by African cultures, and which African cultures. 

Also:
JP, you'd have better results with your threads if you worded them better. 

The way you worded this OP made it seem like you wanted posters to speak on the ethnic groups they dont even know that they're a part of, rather than discuss the various ethnic groups of the regions our ancestors might have come from. It has more of a "which ones of these are you a part of?" tone than anything else, hence the responses you're getting. 

Edited by **Sk!TtLeS B** - Jan 16 2014 at 12:57am
csungrl09 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csungrl09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2014 at 3:44pm
everyone says my aunt look senegalese so maybe that where my mom's side originated. I'm west indian by the way.
Rumbera View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rumbera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2014 at 4:07pm
You know what sucks, my brother looks West African and gets mistaken for Nigerian alot. I have no distinctive features that would connect me to any African country.

naturesgift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote naturesgift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2014 at 2:29pm
im sure you are just unaware- but the whole DNA ancestory thing is a hoax... the results are less than 1% so how can anyone claim for sure what tribe they are from thru this type of tesittng alone
hautsdeseine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hautsdeseine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2014 at 3:14am
I wouldnt beleive the DNA test because in 400 years there have been a lot of mixture so, you can come from all the groups
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>
  Share Topic