BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

African Americans and African Identity

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 6 Votes, Average 3.67  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
callmeDEva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote callmeDEva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: African Americans and African Identity
    Posted: Jul 27 2014 at 11:58am
So, I was watching the Black in Latin America PBS series yesterday. Very interesting and I learned so much.

But while observing the various cultures, I kept wondering - what happened to the African culture with African Americans? Black Cubans, Dominicans, Haitians, Brazilians, etc. You see it in their music, their foods, religious beliefs etc. What happened with us?

As an AA, I don't have any ties with African traditions. Even when I'm around African friends and their families, it feels foreign to me. The documentaries yesterday made me sad. I would love to have the rich culture of my ancestries apart of my daily living. Stories I can pass on to my children.

What are your thoughts?
Sponsored Links

naturesgift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naturesgift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2014 at 12:08pm
I am not really sure what you mean? Are you saying as an African American you don't feel like you have a culture? or are you saying that you don't feel any relation to your (*Nigerian friends) or whatever type of African when you are in their home or at the dinner table etc.

Edited by naturesgift - Jul 27 2014 at 12:09pm
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naturesgift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2014 at 12:12pm
For me traveling to other parts of the world helped me to see my African *American-ness, the hardest part about being identifying your own culture is the fact that you are immersed in it all the time.
mizzsandra00 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (9) Thanks(9)   Quote mizzsandra00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2014 at 12:13pm
TBH their enslavement was not the same and their enslavers were not the same.....plus afro latins have a high coonage rate.....they will deny that same african blood that is so evident in their features and culture.....
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2014 at 12:16pm
aa's were killed and tortured to set an example for others for even speaking their native tongues
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote naturesgift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2014 at 12:16pm
AA have culture: its in our faith/worship,food our music our style our hair, dance, our politics, our history etc.- there are somethings that you just can't take away

Edited by naturesgift - Jul 27 2014 at 12:18pm
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote callmeDEva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2014 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by naturesgift naturesgift wrote:

I am not really sure what you mean? Are you saying as an African American you don't feel like you have a culture? or are you saying that you don't feel any relation to your (*Nigerian friends) or whatever type of African when you are in their home or at the dinner table etc.

yes this.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote callmeDEva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2014 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by mizzsandra00 mizzsandra00 wrote:

TBH their enslavement was not the same and their enslavers were not the same.....plus afro latins have a high coinage rate.....they will deny that same african blood that is so evident in their features and culture.....

Yeah, that was interesting to me. I've seen it in person as well.
jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2014 at 12:26pm
I grew up with strong culture influence s and slave culture being near Charleston the biggest port for slave delivery and a strong geechee Gullah culture.
A big part of Gullah culture was retaining as much of Africa as possible while coping with life in a new place hence the language mix, teachings,dress...

Me and my little sister were talking about it the other night .

Edited by jonesable - Jul 27 2014 at 12:31pm
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote callmeDEva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2014 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

aa's were killed and tortured to set an example for others for even speaking their native tongues

Yes, this is true. But didn't they do that in every country? Especially after the success of the Haiti uprising.

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarg
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic