BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

African Americans & African Identity

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 6 Votes, Average 3.67  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
purple.chuckz View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple.chuckz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2014 at 7:04pm
There are some small traces and remnants: in the music, Gullah basket making, hair braiding...
Sponsored Links

rickysrose View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2014 at 7:24pm
There was a concerted effort to remove the culture and sense of community and family from the slaves presumably to prevent an overthrow 

I think it would be valuable to know all of the tactics do we can recognize/undo the damage

The gullah shows us that African continuity through the Caribbean, South america, etc

rickysrose View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2014 at 7:27pm
i agree the Gullah are a tiny pocket 

But it's nice, a relief, to see that connection

JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2014 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

^how long did they keep importing slaves in the islands? In many southern states I think slaves outnumbered whites for quite some time.  But I do agree with you that population and the fact that generations of blacks were born into slavery in America likely contributed to the dilution of African cultures. 

I can't tell you for every island. But in Haiti, it was up until the Revolution. Literally. For ex, I think I read somewhere that Dessalines was from Senegal (not 100% sure, I have to look it up again). I'm assuming that other islands that were colonized by the French and the Spanish might have had similar experiences.

What I do know is that they stopped earlier in the U.S. and that they preferred to have the slaves that were already there reproduce amongst themselves. Whereas in Haiti, the whites were constantly on the lookout for more labour.

Edited by JoliePoufiasse - Jul 27 2014 at 7:43pm
phattrabbit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote phattrabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2014 at 7:44pm
Personally, as a child of two Nigerian parents that was born and raised in the U.S., I feel that part of it came from the "divide and conquer" methods of the slave owners. Treating those that looked closer/closest to white much more humane than those who were darker with curlier hair.  In my opinion, this caused a wave of self-hatred to penetrate the black culture. Western Civilization taught blacks to hate themselves and anything that resembled what the average African looks like. So when Blacks had the opportunity to learn about their African roots, many of them resented it, acted as though they were not African, and wanted nothing to do with them. I remember black kids teasing me n my bro. n sisters when they found out we were African calling us "African Booty Scratchers and the like, and when told that they are African as well, they did not want to hear it. Many would rather die than embrace anything about Africa. 

This negative attitude of Blacks toward Africans caused a rift between the 2 cultures. Many Africans (including my parents) feel to this day that Blacks do not like them, think they are better than them, and do not want much to do with them even though the reality is we are all brothers n sisters.  It is quite sad.  And because of this, many Africans are not fond of Black Americans.

..The culture is out there and accessible, but people have to first be interested in accepting their roots and learning about who they are. i have heard many say "Im not African, Im Black"...or some sh*t to that effect. I have usually gotten the impression that they are ashamed to be African. I was even ashamed of it myself for many years bc of ridicule and resentment of my people that I witnessed and experienced.

I am 33 years old now and hopefully some of that has changed, but the level of ignorance and self-hate was ridiculous back then.
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2014 at 7:55pm
@ Phattrabbit: I agree with everything you said. However whites treated the slaves that looked the most like them a little better EVERYWHERE in the diaspora, not just in the States. Not a single island was immune to that. So that alone can't account for the dilution of African influences.

And you're right about the origins of the rift as well. Haitians went through the same thing at some point. However I think that in the long run, everyone will lose at maintaining that rift. White folks are really skilled at exploiting antagonisms for their own gain.
newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2014 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by callmeDEva callmeDEva wrote:

So, I was watching the Black in Latin America PBS series yesterday. Very interesting and I learned so much.

But while observing the various cultures, I kept wondering - what happened to the African culture with African Americans? Black Cubans, Dominicans, Haitians, Brazilians, etc. You see it in their music, their foods, religious beliefs etc. What happened with us?

As an AA, I don't have any ties with African traditions. Even when I'm around African friends and their families, it feels foreign to me. The documentaries yesterday made me sad. I would love to have the rich culture of my ancestries apart of my daily living. Stories I can pass on to my children.

What are your thoughts?

I was just watching this on Netflix.  And I feel you on this.  I think we've had threads discussing this before...or at least it was brought up.
uppitynegroid View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uppitynegroid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2014 at 7:42am
Originally posted by Wildfire Wildfire wrote:

Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

I see cultural similarities between Caribbean, South American and African Blacks.  Not so much with American blacks. 

IA

Yup.  My friends and acquaintances who aren't Naija are African (Malawian, Tanzanian, Ghanian, Beninese, etc.), or Haitian, Dominican, and Jamaican.

When I was the only black student in my elementary school, my bff was Peruvian.
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2014 at 7:46am
I honestly don't understand why yall feel so different from Africans and others in the diaspora. 
AshBash89 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AshBash89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2014 at 9:10am
I see it most in the Black church. I've watched countless videos of traditional west African dances and rituals(mostly Igbo and Yoruba) and it looks so similar to how AA's worship.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>