Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
attorney View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: affirm fiberguard VS sensitive scalp
    Posted: May 21 2004 at 10:40pm
Can someone please explain the difference between the two.  I currently use sensitive scalp, but my hair is shedding a lot.  I was advised by another stylist that I should switch to fiberguard, but my current stylist only offers sensitive scalp.  Is the fiberguard milder than the sensitive scalp one.  Thanks for the advise!
Sponsored Links

Toscaoneday View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2004 at 7:30pm
Hi attorney! From what I've learned/experienced, Fiberguard is milder and does not straighten the hair as much as Affirm. It is also great for hair that is weak/damaged. Could the shedding be caused by anything else? If you think you need to switch, then I say RUN to the other stylist, and try Fiberguard. What else are you doing as far as maintenance at home?
attorney View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2004 at 7:49pm

Tosca

Thanks for the reply!!  Let me give you some background, I'll try to be brief :-) 

My current stylist only uses Mizani and Sensitive Scalp Affirm.  The Mizani doesn't work well with my hair and I won't try it.  I've asked her about the Fiberguard before and told me that she thinks the Affirm is better. 

Now a stylist out of town that used to do my hair had told me to use the Fiberguard, because she felt it would be better for my hair (she knows my hair inside and out).  But lately I've noticed in addition to long strands of hair, short pieces of hair are breaking off too.  Now I condition well, I use a mixture of vitamin e, carrot oil and some other liquid oils on my hair and I also use fermydol as well.  So the only thing that I can point to now is the relaxer.

At my next appointment I'm going to tell my current stylist that I want to use the fiberguard and if she still is resistant, I'll just have to go my girlfriend who is also a stylist.  My friend has commented on how my hair "looks" healthy but she noticed some pieces of hair that "popped" and that it looks thin and not as thick as it once was.

I don't do well with changing stylists but I have to stand up and put my foot down.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2004 at 9:55am
Very true: at some point, you have to put your foot down!  Now, it seems that you like your moisturizers, but what products are you using to wash and condition your hair? How often do you wash and condition? How often do you use a protein treatment or a cholesterol conditioner? How often do you use heat, and do you blowdry/air dry/ flat iron/sit under the dryer at home? Do you wrap your hair with a silk/satin scarf or sleep on a satin pillow? I'm throwing out the questions because no matter what relaxer you use, you'll have to develop a good routine to keep your hair healthy. Fiberguard is great, but you still have to protect your hair. Oh, and are you getting it trimmed regularly?
attorney View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2004 at 12:07pm

Tosca

I get my hair washed and conditioned every two weeks; I insisted that she condition my hair and put a leave in moisturizer in my hair becuase I know what my hair requires.  She and other Stylists that I have run  into don't think it's necessary, but for myself it's a must.

Don't think I'm crazy, but I excuse myself to the ladies room and put the fermydol on myself, because I don't want to battle with her about putting extra things I know I need on my hair.  I have even started going to my girlfriend to have her trim my ends, because I like how she trims.  Said all that to say I am tired of battling (I think this is my seventh hairdresser since I have been in town) to get the treatment that I know that my hair needs to stay on my head.

I rarely curl my hair, maybe twice a year and I do wrap it with a satin scarf.  I don't wash my hair, because it would be a mess, I don't dry or blow dry my hair or curl my hair well.  I try to keep the heat off my hair at home completely. 

The stylist out of town that I trust the most would always say that what you do at the relaxer stages (relaxer, conditioning, moisturizing, trimming) sets the stage for how your hair will handle for the next few weeks.

So that's where I am.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2004 at 8:13pm

Ok. Well, clearly, I'm not a professional, but I do know that I have to maintain my hair at home. I was forced to do this when I moved to a city where I couldn't afford to go to the salon. I only go to the salon for a relaxer touch up and special occasions [it's really expensive up here], so in-between visits, it's up to me to take care of my hair at home.

Let's start with washing. You say you get it washed every two weeks at the salon. Maybe you could try experimenting with some new products and regimens at home to wash your hair. Because you have a relaxer, you absolutely have to care for it at home: your relaxer touch ups have to be maintained, even between the trims and conditioning at the salon. I wash my hair at least 1-2 times a week, but it took time for me to find really good products and a good regimen. The only way is to practice. You've already said that you make your stylist put certain things you need in your hair: that's good! You can do those things at home weekly. You don't have to use heat, although I do when I wash my hair. You do, however need to condition it well, as you know, and deep condition it once a week. Because I don't know your hair type, I can't pinpoint exactly what will work. Here are some products I use. My hair tends to be dry, so I use a lot of moisturizing shampoos and conditioners:

Cheap Shampoo:Herbal Essences Hydrating Fruit Fusions

Not so cheap:Biosilk Hydrating Shampoo, Nexxus Botanoil Shampoo, Kera Care Shampoos

Cheap Conditioner:V05 Creamy Fresh Peaches, V05 Oasis

Not so cheap:Redken All Soft Heavy Cream, Redken Smooth Down Butter Treat

Not so cheap Hair Mask:Framesi Biogenol

Cholesterol: Lustrasilk's Cholesterol with Aloe

Styling/Heat Protection/Moisturizers: Kera Care Essential Oils for the Hair, Elasta QP Mango Butter, Biosilk Silk Therapy

I want to try Aphogee as a protein treatment. So many ladies on this site say how good it is.

Have you tried flat ironing? As I said, practice is the best way. That's also how you will know which products work best for your hair. It will take a little extra time, but it is worth it. It will save you some salon visits too.

Whew, this is a long post! [Sorry, ladies! ]Next time, I will pm you, attorney. Basically, you have to put some time into caring for your hair at home and finding the products that work. This site has helped me tremendously: I hope you can browse through and find information that will help you too.

attorney View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2004 at 8:23pm

Hey

Thanks for the tips I will try some of the products.  I'm still not comfortable with the idea of caring for my hair at home, but I will pick up at flat iron and practice from time to time.  I have heard great things from another stylist about the Redken line, so for sure I will pick up the product.  Thanks again and I will continue to check the forum!!

pinkyverde View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2004 at 9:35pm

Thanks for the great tips Tosca...

I too believe in home haircare maintenance.  I had to start caring for my hair as a freshman in undergrad; it's taken me 4 years of undergrad and 2 years into my graduate studies to be able to just get touch-ups at the salon.  i'm very happy with my regimen nowadays.  I receive an Avalon Fiberguard relaxer and it is a wonderful transition product.  I previously used Arosci, it seemed to dry my hair out.  Fibergard is better than the sensitive scalp relaxer I've used in the past.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2004 at 9:39am

No problem, ladies! I've learned a lot too. Pinkyverde, it took me exactly that amount of time [4 yrs undergrad, 2 yrs grad school] to really trust myself to experiment with my hair! I wish I had started sooner . I would have saved so much money in college! I guess I just didn't know I could do it myself. It's fun too, like my time to pamper myself and my hair.

Yeah, Fiberguard is excellent. That was the relaxer I got when I transitioned from color treated natural hair to relaxed hair. It was very easy on my tresses and scalp. I use regular Affirm too.

attorney View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2004 at 8:43pm

Tosca

Well I talked to my stylist and she is "willing" to try the fiberguard.  I told her I didn't like how my hair was doing with the sensitive scalp; the shedding, long pieces of hair etc.  She tried to mention that my ends need trimming, but I have been getting my ends trimmed regularly by my friend, she has just noticed that I haven't been letting her trim it, which is another story.

But I have a question about the Redken line.  What is the difference between the Heavy Cream and the smooth down butter treat?  Which one should I purchase, I want to buy it, so I can have it for my next visit.  It might throw her to have me bring in my own product, but oh well. 

Thanks again for the information!

Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic