Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Relaxers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Affirm FiberGuard vs. Nairobi

Post Reply Post Reply

Author
homerunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote homerunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Affirm FiberGuard vs. Nairobi
    Posted: Dec 07 2009 at 11:22pm

I am 10 weeks post and coming off a chop down to 3 inches all over because of too many protein treatments (Ashtae) and no dc at the salon. I rarely do my own hair at home, only w&s occasionally. Before I start with another stylist, I have tried to educate myself on damaged hair care. This is the first time this has ever happened to me, but it will be the last time I rely on any stylist to suggest things without question. My research has lead me to Affirm FiberGuard and Nairobi. These cannot be purchased by anyone except a beautician. Over the years I have used Mizani, Motions, Dark and Lovely, Bantu and several others. Didn't really like any of them. The Ashtae was fine until the stylist noticed "shedding" and used the protein treatment. Anyone have any suggestions?  

Sponsored Links

cinnamon704 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cinnamon704 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2010 at 9:31pm
Never used the Nairobi relaxer. However, I've had great results with the Affirm Fiberguard (I use the it in the sensitive scalp formula). HTH.
AshleyRaQ_G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AshleyRaQ_G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 9:37am
I've had both used in my hair at the salon. They both work great but I can't really give a thourough comparison because when my hair was relaxed with Affirm I didnt have any type of regimen and was completely ignorant of healthy hair care but my hair would always be silky smooth and shiney & id get a lot of compliments. Now that I get my hair relaxed with Nairobi & I know my hair i notice dryness after my hair is relaxed but thats where my regimen steps in to combat that dryness immediately!......I'm thinking about doing my own relaxers at home because now that I'm a hair care freak I hate getting my hair done at salons & i only go for relaxers because I haven't learned to do them on my own but I;m doing my research because I was soooooo uncomfortable during my last salon visit. HTH
Kazona09 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazona09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2010 at 1:54pm
I used Affirm Fiber guard the other day for the first time. I loovve it. but I love it b/c my hair is not bone straight. It makes it thick and not over processed..but everyone is different.
BayGrl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BayGrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2010 at 3:40pm
Thanks for that info! I'm doing a touch up in a few weeks and I don't want my hair bone straight.
I've been using silk elements with good results. Would like to find something better.
glamrock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glamrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2010 at 11:29am
I have not used Nairobi, but the Dominican salon that I go to (Max's Unisex, really well known in the Northeast) only uses Nairobi now.
heathertennille View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heathertennille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2010 at 3:51pm
When I go to the salon my stylist uses both products (Affirm and Nairobi).  With Affirm my hair did exceptionally well with it.  I had no shedding and my hair was fairly straight (I say fairly because my stylist doesn't get the relaxer close to my scalp for the silky look that I like).  After using Affirm for a few years my hair got immune to the relaxer and it stopped taking on my hair.  My stylist noticed that my hair quit taking when she used Affirm so she started using the Nairobi relaxer and my hair was silky straight all over.  Nairobi got my most resistant hair silky straight which I love because most of the times when my hair is relaxed I always have the crown of my hair that looks texturized instead of straight.  I had no shedding or damage with either of the products.  With my hair I love Nairobi better than the Affirm Fiber Guard.
BestHair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BestHair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 11 2012 at 12:02am
Affirm Fiberguard is excellent relaxer if your hair thrives for protein. It is  a protein based relaxer and may cause build up in some people. Too much protein can cause build up and you need to use a clarifying shampoo if you notice that.
If you choose to use fiberguard it is better to use the whole range instead of using just the relaxer for best results. There is a detailed review of the product http://www.besthairrelaxer.net/2012/01/11/avlon-affirm-fiberguard-sensitive-scalp-relaxer-review/ - here in case you are interested.
DivaCrat09 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DivaCrat09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2012 at 8:13am
I have had Nairobi and it was really good in my hair when I had a relaxer and it was straight. I did not like Silk Elements because it dried out my hair and did not get it straight enough.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style