Forum LockedAdding Oil to Your Relaxer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
haj1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2008 at 11:12pm
I need someone to help me actually with MBB. I have read that alot of people have been getting texlaxed results from the butter blends. I normally use normal/regular relaxers. Should I use super in the Mizani butter blends in order to get straight hair rather than texlaxed results or would I be causing damage to my hair using super?
Sponsored Links

kittikat24 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2008 at 11:15pm
hmmm..
How much are y'all adding to the relaxer...would 1 tsp-1tbsp make a difference?
just wondering, because I've never tried it b4
JMilz86 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2008 at 12:49am

I think most people jus add a teaspoon/tablespoon but apparently a little goes a long way!

I thought it'd be good to try but i need the relaxer to work at its best so i think i will avoid it til im like APL and at that point i can cowash and bun etc!
Elektra View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2008 at 1:41am
I add oil or conditioner to my relaxer. It increases smoothing time. I've found that my hair ends up more wavy than straight. Which is fine
Telletell View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2008 at 6:56am
Don't add oil to your relaxer unless you do not want to be bonestraight.
graceful_aka View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2008 at 7:51am
I've heard that adding oil slows down the processing time which is good if you have a lot of hair and you need the extra time to apply or if you apply slowly, like me.  I guess it could also be a way to texlax, but I imagine you'd have to leave it on for the recommended time and not too much longer or else it would probably have a chance to get bone straight...not sure if this makes sense, but HTH.
LadyCC View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2008 at 10:42am
Originally posted by JMilz86 JMilz86 wrote:

Good point...hopefully someone will have some answers...i know ladycc puts oils in her relaxer but she texlaxes!

My experience - I add oil to my relaxer as it slows down the processing time.  It has a two- fold benefit.  It works for me cuz I don't want bone straight hair and I am just relaxing my natural curl.  In addition, I am only leaving the relaxer & oil mixture on my hair for 6-7 minutes. 

Now since this slows down the process you could add the oil to slow down the process and allow you more time to work with the relaxer.  It does not automatically mean underprocessed hair.  If your process time is normally 15 minutes (per the directions) and you add oil (about 1-2 tablespoon for regular and 2-3 for super) you could go for about 20-25 minutes.  I do this with my niece's hair which is a 4a and the results are straight when dry but a little wavy when wet which is what we want.  I have done this process so many times with my hair that it is common place.  It can be trial and error since relaxers vary.  Those who have done the process and underprocessed may want to either lighten up on the oil, leave the relaxer in longer or need a stronger product or different product.  Course hair that uses Super with an application time of 20 minutes should be able to go 25-30 minutes.  The benefits would be that there would be more time to apply and smooth - a bonus if the hair is thick and course.

Adding oil does not damage the hair or relaxer.  It slows the process and I believe (uh, I believe) that there are hair health benefits to using the oil during the relaxing process as well.

I have in the past accidently picked up a Super instead of a regular.  I wholly recommend returning the relaxer for the regular if you normally use regular.  But I had added 3 tablespoons of oil to the mixture and applied and smoothed for the 6-7 minutes.  The results were the same (visuals) but the stress of doing the tex-lax and wondering what was going to happen was ridiculous.

So, if you have thick, coarse hair and could use more time to apply and smooth and want fairly straight results but not bone straight I say go for it.  If you want to tex-lax by using the recommended time but not the full straightening results - I say go for it.

I would not recommend if your goal is for bone straight hair.

Check (google) other threads here and on other hair forums to research results of ladies who add oil to their relaxer process with various hair types.

I have fine 3b/3c hair - I use regular-6-7 minutes.  It allows me straight hair when dry and wavy when wet.  My neice's hair is 4b, thick and coarse - it comes out better because the straightening is more even throughout her hair due to the additinal time without additional straightening (did that make sense?) - I use super-20 minutes.  

FYI....I recommend applying conditioner to your previously relaxed tresses when relaxing regardless of whether you add oil or not. 

ETA: 

Edited by LadyCC - Aug 29 2008 at 10:48am
Romeosgirl81 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2008 at 11:16am
^good point. when i did my hair i didnt leave it in long enough fearing that my hair would be too weak!
Nichole23 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2008 at 11:26am
Originally posted by LadyCC LadyCC wrote:

Originally posted by JMilz86 JMilz86 wrote:

Good point...hopefully someone will have some answers...i know ladycc puts oils in her relaxer but she texlaxes!

My experience - I add oil to my relaxer as it slows down the processing time.  It has a two- fold benefit.  It works for me cuz I don't want bone straight hair and I am just relaxing my natural curl.  In addition, I am only leaving the relaxer & oil mixture on my hair for 6-7 minutes. 

Now since this slows down the process you could add the oil to slow down the process and allow you more time to work with the relaxer.  It does not automatically mean underprocessed hair.  If your process time is normally 15 minutes (per the directions) and you add oil (about 1-2 tablespoon for regular and 2-3 for super) you could go for about 20-25 minutes.  I do this with my niece's hair which is a 4a and the results are straight when dry but a little wavy when wet which is what we want.  I have done this process so many times with my hair that it is common place.  It can be trial and error since relaxers vary.  Those who have done the process and underprocessed may want to either lighten up on the oil, leave the relaxer in longer or need a stronger product or different product.  Course hair that uses Super with an application time of 20 minutes should be able to go 25-30 minutes.  The benefits would be that there would be more time to apply and smooth - a bonus if the hair is thick and course.

Adding oil does not damage the hair or relaxer.  It slows the process and I believe (uh, I believe) that there are hair health benefits to using the oil during the relaxing process as well.

I have in the past accidently picked up a Super instead of a regular.  I wholly recommend returning the relaxer for the regular if you normally use regular.  But I had added 3 tablespoons of oil to the mixture and applied and smoothed for the 6-7 minutes.  The results were the same (visuals) but the stress of doing the tex-lax and wondering what was going to happen was ridiculous.

So, if you have thick, coarse hair and could use more time to apply and smooth and want fairly straight results but not bone straight I say go for it.  If you want to tex-lax by using the recommended time but not the full straightening results - I say go for it.

I would not recommend if your goal is for bone straight hair.

Check (google) other threads here and on other hair forums to research results of ladies who add oil to their relaxer process with various hair types.

I have fine 3b/3c hair - I use regular-6-7 minutes.  It allows me straight hair when dry and wavy when wet.  My neice's hair is 4b, thick and coarse - it comes out better because the straightening is more even throughout her hair due to the additinal time without additional straightening (did that make sense?) - I use super-20 minutes.  

FYI....I recommend applying conditioner to your previously relaxed tresses when relaxing regardless of whether you add oil or not. 

ETA: 

Thank you for this!!  I have two questions, what kind of oil are you using and will this work with no-lye relaxers?  I use "Just for Me" mild. 
LadyCC View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2008 at 3:13pm

Sorry ladies.  I thought I covered it all.  I only use no-lye.  My niece "K" uses Just For Me "coarse" kit and I use Profective regular.  Wow, Just For Me must be popular.

You can add oil to lye or no-lye relaxers.

Romeosgirl, I would keep the relaxer in the recommended time to retain some natural wave.  A little longer for less wavy.  I guess you judge by your own natural curl and how much you want to retain.  The oil slows the process so shortening the time will underprocess - which is what I want because my hair is fine.  I retain some volume by underprocessing (tex-lax).  I still get straight hair with rollersets and DBs.  HTH Wink

ETA:  I use Aphogee Essential Fatty Acids Oil Concentrate (I stocked up)which is a bunch of easily absorbed natural carrier oils - Soybean, Oleic Acid, Sesame, Corn Wheat germ, etc.  However, any oil from your favorite line should work. 

Edited by LadyCC - Aug 29 2008 at 3:22pm
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic