FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAccutane in the News

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Hair ViVi

Author
TiaBuena View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Accutane in the News
    Posted: May 03 2010 at 3:52am

Accutane was in the news (again) while the FDA typically sat idly by.  More than 500 adverse reactions, reports of suicide, suicide attempt and suicidal ideation have been recorded (God only knows the unreported numbers) by national and international health agencies for Accutane.  It has the fourth highest record of adverse drug reaction reports in the United States among the more than 500,000 prescription medications sold here.

Thirty-eight-year-old Andrew McCarrell of Moody, Alabama, took Accutane in his 20s.  He says Hoffmann-La Roche Inc. failed to adequately warn of its side effects.  McCarrell eventually had his colon removed due to inflammatory bowel disorder caused by Accutane.  He now goes to the bathroom 10 to 20 times a day, suffering from massive gastrointestinal upset.  McCarrell isn't the first to have his colon removed due to Accutane.  If you used it and escaped adverse reactions consider yourself very blessed - but who knows what the incubation period is.  An appeals court overturned a $2.6 million judgment he won in May 2007.  However, in a retrial during February 2010, a New Jersey jury hit the manufacturer with a $25.16 million judgment.

Inflammatory bowel disease is not the only serious side effect resulting from Accutane.  In another case, the parents of teenager Charles Bishop blamed the use of the drug for their son's suicide, in which he crashed a plane into a 42-story Bank of America building in Tampa, Florida.  His parents filed a wrongful death lawsuit in 2002, but had it dismissed in 2007, because emotionally and physically they could no longer continue the fierce litigation.

The drug label warns that women should not get pregnant while taking the drug because the baby may develop birth defects or die.  Accutane may even kill its users.  A few other serious side effects include miscarriages, psychosis and other serious mental problems, suicidal tendencies, acute pancreatitis, "unknown" cardiovascular consequences, hepatitis, night blindness and sight loss, and increased internal skull pressure, just to name a few.  Some patients even reported that their acne got worse when they started taking Accutane, leaving them with permanent scars.  It also has been proven to raise cholesterol and triglyceride levels during just 3 weeks of usage.

Accutane's active ingredient is a synthetic form of Vitamin A.  Research natural, carotene forms of Vitamin A that are safe and non-toxic.  Something very tasty is carrot juice mixed with orange.  There are many natural approaches to fighting acne (even severe) that are highly effective, there is no reason for anyone to risk their health or life by taking Accutane.  Pharmaceuticals always create one or more negative effects for everything they appear to cure.  Look to eliminate the source rather than just treating the symptoms.  The source is often in the diet (despite what the dermatologist may say) - too much of one thing and/or a deficiency of something else (such as the mineral zinc), not an Accutane deficiency.  It is also entirely possible that a food allergy is the culprit (dairy, wheat, etc).  Going back to basics where food is our medicine and medicine is our food is the key.Star

Sponsored Links

MissMesha View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2010 at 5:02pm
Thanks for the info. My doctor wanted to put me on Acctuane but I told him no way! I don't think it's worth it. Too risky.
TiaBuena View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2010 at 10:23pm
Mesha, smart girl!Clap  There are sooo many natural alternatives available.
dOLLish. View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2010 at 6:15pm
You know what's ironic, my mother mentioned Accutane to me Saturday and by Monday I had done enough research to know that it wasn't worth the risk. Aside from the effects of suicide, depression, and suicidal thoughts, it triggers headaches (and I'm prone to migranes), it messes with your vision, could cause excessive drowsiness, bleeding, and a host of other problems. I told myself that it wasn't even worth it.
MissMesha View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2010 at 11:45pm
^ I really do pray for the people who choose to take Accutane though, especially if it's their last resort to cure their acne. You know it's got to be hard willing to try something that could possibly do more harm than good for you.
khivey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 9:11am
I remember back in high school my derm wanted to put me on it and my mom saw a news report about it and called the whole thing off. So ever since then I have been turned off by it. THere are other methods and if you have the patience, time and dedication...you can find a natural skin regimen that will work for you. 
MissMesha View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2010 at 12:39am
Originally posted by khivey khivey wrote:

I remember back in high school my derm wanted to put me on it and my mom saw a news report about it and called the whole thing off. So ever since then I have been turned off by it. THere are other methods and if you have the patience, time and dedication...you can find a natural skin regimen that will work for you. 

So, true. I really feel that doctors know that there are several herbal/natural products that can cure these skin disorders but they simply won't tell us!
cynfash View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2010 at 2:15am
I mean if you think about it all this harm for acne on your face is it really worth it
PerfectBlending View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2010 at 5:55pm
I rather have acne than be on Accutane. Aint no way in hell!
CincygirlD View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2010 at 8:27am
I took it, and loved it. I was told of everything that could go wrong and I did my own research. It's not just asne on your face Cynfash. I had it on my back, arms,chest and down my legs.

I don't think children should be allowed on it, but I have a child that's in high school and I felt like I'd tortured myself enough. Not being able to wear certain things, always wearing longer sleeves even in the summer. I felt like I'd done my trial & errors, and there comes a time and place when a woman wants to feel like a woman. Not some horny, pimple faced teenaged kid.

If you have a decent Dr, and you don't like when you go in every month for your blood tests and interrogation they give you, I really think you will be ok.

I've also known of some people who lie to get on the medication to begin with
Hair ViVi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic