Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
Random Thoughts View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Thoughts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Academy Makes Dramatic Changes to its Voting
    Posted: Jan 22 2016 at 3:09pm

Academy Makes Dramatic Changes to its Voting Membership Rules in Light of Diversity Controversy

http://www.showbiz411.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/oscars-2.jpg

Just posted by the Academy – this is pretty big! There is no change to the Best Picture voting procedure, however, which is a drag. But this seems like a good way to freshen things up a bit within the ranks.

Goal to double number of diverse members by 2020

LOS ANGELES – In a unanimous vote Thursday night (1/21), the Board of Governors of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences approved a sweeping series of substantive changes designed to make the Academy’s membership, its governing bodies, and its voting members significantly more diverse.  The Board’s goal is to commit to doubling the number of women and diverse members of the Academy by 2020.

“The Academy is going to lead and not wait for the industry to catch up,” said Academy President Cheryl Boone Isaacs. “These new measures regarding governance and voting will have an immediate impact and begin the process of significantly changing our membership composition.”

Beginning later this year, each new member’s voting status will last 10 years, and will be renewed if that new member has been active in motion pictures during that decade.  In addition, members will receive lifetime voting rights after three ten-year terms; or if they have won or been nominated for an Academy Award.  We will apply these same standards retroactively to current members.  In other words, if a current member has not been active in the last 10 years they can still qualify by meeting the other criteria.  Those who do not qualify for active status will be moved to emeritus status.  Emeritus members do not pay dues but enjoy all the privileges of membership, except voting.  This will not affect voting for this year’s Oscars.

At the same time, the Academy will supplement the traditional process in which current members sponsor new members by launching an ambitious, global campaign to identify and recruit qualified new members who represent greater diversity.

In order to immediately increase diversity on the Board of Governors, the Academy will establish three new governor seats that will be nominated by the President for three-year terms and confirmed by the Board.

The Academy will also take immediate action to increase diversity by adding new members who are not Governors to its executive and board committees where key decisions about membership and governance are made. This will allow new members an opportunity to become more active in Academy decision-making and help the organization identify and nurture future leaders.

Along with Boone Isaacs, the Board’s Membership and Administration Committee, chaired by Academy Governor Phil Robinson, led the efforts to enact these initiatives.

Edited by Random Thoughts - Jan 22 2016 at 3:11pm
Sponsored Links

Random Thoughts View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Random Thoughts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2016 at 3:17pm
All of the changes seem reasonable and fair. I'm actually kind of surprised. It doesn't solve the underlining racism in hollywood or the lack of quality roles to people of color but it's a sensible step in the right direction.

Edited by Random Thoughts - Jan 22 2016 at 3:17pm
coconess View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (8) Thanks(8)   Quote coconess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2016 at 3:18pm
Welp...
Jada got what she wanted...
Hopefully she'll more so realize the power of her platform and use it for things that really matter....

Whites will be in the background talkin sht about how blacks are only nominated for whining And not their talent though
Beautiful_One View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beautiful_One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2016 at 5:03pm
Good!
Faithfully2002 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faithfully2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2016 at 5:17pm
callmeDEva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (8) Thanks(8)   Quote callmeDEva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2016 at 5:18pm
I'm glad..

But don't you hate how people only act right once you start complaining? Like...you weren't going to change your ain't sh*t ways unless I said something?? You were just going to keep going along like all was merry..

Not even genuine
mommykat View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mommykat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2016 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by coconess coconess wrote:

Welp...
Jada got what she wanted...
Hopefully she'll more so realize the power of her platform and use it for things that really matter....

Whites will be in the background talkin sht about how blacks are only nominated for whining And not their talent though

Indeed Boo, so true...
Thats what my Bff said... On location now... I love to house sit tho... LOL.
LOL.

Thats why I dont say anything... I need them to buy my soap, lotion, and etc.
When you have friends in the game--- you know the game... LOL. .

eanaj5 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote eanaj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2016 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by callmeDEva callmeDEva wrote:

I'm glad..

But don't you hate how people only act right once you start complaining? Like...you weren't going to change your ain't sh*t ways unless I said something?? You were just going to keep going along like all was merry..

Not even genuine

Lamp chile and got the nerve to act like theyre doing you a favorSleepy
mommykat View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mommykat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2016 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by Random Thoughts Random Thoughts wrote:

All of the changes seem reasonable and fair. I'm actually kind of surprised. It doesn't solve the underlining racism in hollywood or the lack of quality roles to people of color but it's a sensible step in the right direction.

This too...
Things That Make You Go Hmmmm.

Prtybrwneye_z View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Prtybrwneye_z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2016 at 7:24pm
One of this year's nominee's already crying reverse racism and another saying black actors just need to be patient. Really!
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic